restarted - DD and Dixie training - Page 5 - The Horse Forum
 118Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 86 Old 04-29-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 1,380
• Horses: 2
meant to say i had been sick since saturday morning
jmike is offline  
post #42 of 86 Old 04-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nine Mile Falls, Washington
Posts: 1,130
• Horses: 0
Not sure if you're still having trouble with a horse cutting you off, however, I used to work with a ****** who did this constantly.

It was mostly out of anxiety that he did it, as well as disrespect for who was handling him, however, we finally found a way to get him to walk at the pace the person was walking through a couple of ways.

It was a progression of snapping the lead rope when he tried barging ahead, to actively smacking him in the chest to backing him every time. What worked was taking the lead rope and smacking him in the chest, and forcing him to back up by moving out of our space when we walked into his. He got better little by little, however, what really worked was jogging in hand.

He's a TWH, so he loves to go-- trotting is his favorite thing. We would jog a few feet and then we would stop suddenly. But we weren't subtle about it, however. Our body language would scream that we were stopping to make it absolutely clear that's what we wanted. If he didn't stop, we would back him a few steps in a demanding fashion.

After a few of these, he got it really well and he leads like a doll. He did well enough that it wasn't an issue for other people leading him, either.
jmike likes this.
Deschutes is offline  
post #43 of 86 Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 1,380
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschutes View Post
Not sure if you're still having trouble with a horse cutting you off, however, I used to work with a ****** who did this constantly.

It was mostly out of anxiety that he did it, as well as disrespect for who was handling him, however, we finally found a way to get him to walk at the pace the person was walking through a couple of ways.

It was a progression of snapping the lead rope when he tried barging ahead, to actively smacking him in the chest to backing him every time. What worked was taking the lead rope and smacking him in the chest, and forcing him to back up by moving out of our space when we walked into his. He got better little by little, however, what really worked was jogging in hand.

He's a TWH, so he loves to go-- trotting is his favorite thing. We would jog a few feet and then we would stop suddenly. But we weren't subtle about it, however. Our body language would scream that we were stopping to make it absolutely clear that's what we wanted. If he didn't stop, we would back him a few steps in a demanding fashion.

After a few of these, he got it really well and he leads like a doll. He did well enough that it wasn't an issue for other people leading him, either.
that is excellent advice -- thank you

we were wanting to try to speed things up a bit to incorporate stop/walk/trot and transitions from each

next time we get a chance we will do this
jmike is offline  
post #44 of 86 Old 04-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nine Mile Falls, Washington
Posts: 1,130
• Horses: 0
It will definitely help because it teaches the horse to pay attention to you. And god knows, that horse had some serious A.D.D. haha.
jmike likes this.
Deschutes is offline  
post #45 of 86 Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,972
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmike View Post
was tempted to lunge her
LOL! Mike you remind me of my dear old Daddy. RIP POPS! We had a 5 mile limit on whether we could ride the bus to high school and we lived just inside that limit. So, either we carpooled, parents took us or we had to walk. On occasion, if the parents were busy at work, we would have to walk home. One day we got lippy about having to walk home with dad on the ride to school and he stopped that car DEAD and tossed us right out. He told us, "You get tired of walkin', you can dam* well RUN!" and proceeded to make us run the rest of the way to school and we did walk home that day and for MANY after to reinforce the lesson. So, in effect he lunged us all. Thanks for the memories.
Foxtail Ranch, jmike and Roux like this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #46 of 86 Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 1,380
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
LOL! Mike you remind me of my dear old Daddy. RIP POPS! We had a 5 mile limit on whether we could ride the bus to high school and we lived just inside that limit. So, either we carpooled, parents took us or we had to walk. On occasion, if the parents were busy at work, we would have to walk home. One day we got lippy about having to walk home with dad on the ride to school and he stopped that car DEAD and tossed us right out. He told us, "You get tired of walkin', you can dam* well RUN!" and proceeded to make us run the rest of the way to school and we did walk home that day and for MANY after to reinforce the lesson. So, in effect he lunged us all. Thanks for the memories.
hahaha i like it -- sounds like something my pappaw would say/do
Foxtail Ranch likes this.
jmike is offline  
post #47 of 86 Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SE Spain
Posts: 1,270
• Horses: 4
Great thread, Mike. I really admire what you're doing with your DD. And I LOVED your comment on lunging her

It sounds like you're both making fine progress. I'm thinking seriously of doing something similar with my nearly-12yo son and 6yo Gallega pony. She needs a fair bit of work to make her a suitable child's mount, but if he helps me with groundwork and riding on the lunge, it will be good for them both.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bondre is offline  
post #48 of 86 Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 1,380
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondre View Post
Great thread, Mike. I really admire what you're doing with your DD. And I LOVED your comment on lunging her

It sounds like you're both making fine progress. I'm thinking seriously of doing something similar with my nearly-12yo son and 6yo Gallega pony. She needs a fair bit of work to make her a suitable child's mount, but if he helps me with groundwork and riding on the lunge, it will be good for them both.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Posted via Mobile Device
glad you like it

one thing i have noticed is horses always have a 1-to-1 relationship with every person and every horse they interact with

the more work your son puts into the pony, the better the pony-to-son relationship will be
jmike is offline  
post #49 of 86 Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 1,380
• Horses: 2
gnats are still pretty fierce in the evenings, so we haven't done any "work"

so instead i took the kids to the gallman tri-state rodeo last night (is actually a eally small thing)

son loved the bull dogging, both loved thed bronc riding -- DD was super ecstatic about the barrel racing, and i was impressed ... i think best time was around 15.59 .. worst was 17.4 ... and even had a really young girl (maybe 10 y.o.) on a pony that was around 12 hands run an 18.9

maybe the barrel racing bug will light a fire and she will fight through the gnats
dlady and Marcie like this.
jmike is offline  
post #50 of 86 Old 05-03-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 1,380
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondre View Post
And I LOVED your comment on lunging her
i did something similar to this on one of her better blow-outs

everytime she talked back i made her run halfway across the pasture and back
she did a good ten laps before she didn't have enough breath to talk back

then i put her to work, she would get mad and throw the shovel down, and i made her pick it up and put it down at least 30 times before she did it without attitude

ultimately that type of punishment/correction was doomed to fail, but i kept her working nightly until i figured this horse training thing out

it's been almost a month since her last major blowout --- and she is not only staying out of trouble, her attitude has immensely improved, and she has a healthy outdoor interest

ultimately -- i am extremely happy with these results and plan to pick up and continue as soon as possible
equinesnfelines likes this.
jmike is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of Dixie Ale Horse Pictures 32 06-14-2014 02:26 PM
Questions About Dixie! Ale Horse Talk 6 11-08-2013 06:54 PM
What pattern was Dixie? HorseLovinLady Horse Colors and Genetics 11 02-19-2012 11:14 PM
Dixie lexypoohhorton Horse Pictures 5 10-12-2010 05:44 PM
Dixie and I Birdeye723 Horse Videos 2 08-17-2008 12:14 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome