Shopping for my perfect horse... Is this workable? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 45Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 12-15-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
Frame and lethal white are the same thing. However, lethal white is only dangerous in its homozygous form, so as long as she was never bred to another frame carrier, it wouldn't be an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Interesting - Thank you.

HYPP, linked to Impressive - it seems to be something that can actually be dangerous for the rider, and an afflicted horse looks and acts fine most of the time - so hard to identify w/o a test, and isn't only a breeding concern - ?

Last edited by Folly; 12-15-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Folly is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 12-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 4,863
• Horses: 1
I think the issues sound reasonable. My gelding is very quiet but not ridden for a while he will be bailky.

My only question would be, and forgive me if it was already asked, but if you saw and rode her months ago and liked her a lot why didn't you buy her then?
Saskia is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 12-15-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
I think the issues sound reasonable. My gelding is very quiet but not ridden for a while he will be bailky.

My only question would be, and forgive me if it was already asked, but if you saw and rode her months ago and liked her a lot why didn't you buy her then?
Fair question - I thought I'd sold my own horse and 'jumped the gun' on shopping for a new one (I had known about this mare for a while and was anxious to try her but had resisted temptation until I thought mine was sold). My sale fell through (long story). I called and apologized for taking their time, but said I'd probably see if she was still available when mine sold. They were very nice, said no problem at all and to stay in touch. They aren't in any big rush to sell so aren't actively marketing her, but just have more horses than they need. That's why she's not being ridden.

I've had my feelers out for a long time - ever since I started realizing my horse wasn't the right fit.
Folly is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 12-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,975
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Interesting - Thank you.

HYPP, linked to Impressive - it seems to be something that can actually be dangerous for the rider, and an afflicted horse looks and acts fine most of the time - so hard to identify w/o a test, and isn't only a breeding concern - ?
I would not rule out an Impressive bred horse, but I would insist that they be tested for HYPP status. If they are N/N then they don't have it, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy. I, PERSONALLY, will not touch an N/H or worse H/H horse. N/H for HYPP can be affected to a greater or lesser degree. Some have very minimal or no issues and some have small issues that can be diet controlled and some have bigger issues. Again I, PERSONALLY, won't ride an N/H horse, I don't want to be on when he has one of his "spells". H/H....forget about it altogether.

Just FYI, I have 2 fairly heavily bred Impressive horses and both are N/N and have zero issues. If I were interested in purchasing the mare you're talking about I would ask them to do a 5 Panel Test on her, with the understanding that if she came back N/H that I would not be interested in her. The test costs around $90 + or - a little bit depending on the lab. For APHA it is not required and results won't be on her papers. If the owner refuses the test, then I think they probably have seen something to indicate the horse has an issue and don't want to have to disclose it. I'd walk.
Dustbunny and Folly like this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 12-17-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
....
If I were interested in purchasing the mare you're talking about I would ask them to do a 5 Panel Test on her, with the understanding that if she came back N/H that I would not be interested in her. The test costs around $90 + or - a little bit depending on the lab. For APHA it is not required and results won't be on her papers. If the owner refuses the test, then I think they probably have seen something to indicate the horse has an issue and don't want to have to disclose it. I'd walk.
Dreamcatcher, does a vet come and take the sample (just a tail hair, right?) If not,what is to keep an owner from slipping in a different horse's sample? (I'm not implying anything about these sellers - they have acted honorable in every way - but one never knows, and I'm just curious in general). How is it usually approached with a seller?

With the holidays my trainer is unavailable - so if we decide to try her again, it will likely be at least a week.
Folly is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 12-17-2015, 10:05 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,975
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Dreamcatcher, does a vet come and take the sample (just a tail hair, right?) If not,what is to keep an owner from slipping in a different horse's sample? (I'm not implying anything about these sellers - they have acted honorable in every way - but one never knows, and I'm just curious in general). How is it usually approached with a seller?

With the holidays my trainer is unavailable - so if we decide to try her again, it will likely be at least a week.
Really, at this point you have to trust them to do the right thing. They pull the hair, they send it in and they get the results which you should get a copy of. If it's favorable, then I'd offer to pay for the test in the purchase price, if not, it's theirs. They have nothing to gain if they're dishonest because if they swapped hair and gave you a false clear, the minute that horse had fasiculations and you pulled your own hair and sent it in, you'd find out and they'd be busted and a lawsuit would be in the offing. Not good.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 12-17-2015, 10:46 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,082
• Horses: 0
Pretty much any horse may react thatbway. They get worse when the rider is not assertive and push the horse on. If rider gets scared and let's horse go back it will escalate quickly. I would trust these people and you need to get confident enough to ride the horse through it. If you correct itbrightbaway it won't be an issue. Had you let the horse get away with it I'm sure you would quickly have a horse you couldn't ride away from the barn
churumbeque is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap painted reins. Can they be made workable? lostastirrup Horse Tack and Equipment 7 06-24-2015 04:41 PM
The perfect horse. Rain Shadow Horse Conformation Critique 39 01-10-2015 02:44 PM
The perfect Horse. Twhgirl2 Horse Breeds 11 07-12-2011 11:33 PM
I'm looking for the perfect horse rottenweiler Horses for Sale 29 01-22-2010 06:52 PM
My Perfect Horse luvmyperch Horse Pictures 17 12-28-2009 08:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome