Tell me what you think - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 33Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 Old 02-15-2016, 06:30 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: west coast
Posts: 1,484
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethannyy22 View Post
You didn't come off as rude!!! And thank you, she is a cutie pie, and has a personality to match!!!

She was actually bought from an auction and friends of ours bought her, they are amish and their daughter wanted her, and they were wonderful with her. She had already known how to neck rein and she had a really nice stop, just a dream under saddle.

She sold her to us only because she would ride her very long distances, and she's really fast, but she isn't a long distance runner.

Anyway haha yeah, auction horse. Nothing wrong with her, she has been vet checked. I kinda lucked out because she is wonderful.
I see, makes sense now =)

Pictures are a little hard to tell from, but I would pin her at ~15H, give or take. If my math is correct, 15h is 5' human height, and you say you're 5'3" so 15h or there abouts.

Is she underweight? Understandable if from auction - depending how long ago this was. She appears to be underweight, but again, photos aren't the best to tell from. She looks to possibly be QH or QH cross? Would be curious to see better photos if possible =)
beverleyy is offline  
post #12 of 46 Old 02-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,500
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverleyy View Post
So, I am honestly curious and really don't mean this to come off rude.

If you don't know any of this info on her ...how exactly did you come about purchasing her? Generally these are things that would be posted on the horse's sale add, or you/your trainer should ask/already know upon trying the horse out. Or is she a family member's horse?

She is cute though!
I know a lot of people who don't know their horses pedigree or much about them at all. Non papered, back yard bred horses quickly lose their history as they are sold and that's without going through an auction/rescue situation. Heck, just time alone dims things. 20+ years after buying my old gelding I would have to go look at his papers to remind myself what his lineage is. Without those papers his parentage would be lost.
Darrin is offline  
post #13 of 46 Old 02-15-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 133
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverleyy View Post
I see, makes sense now =)

Pictures are a little hard to tell from, but I would pin her at ~15H, give or take. If my math is correct, 15h is 5' human height, and you say you're 5'3" so 15h or there abouts.

Is she underweight? Understandable if from auction - depending how long ago this was. She appears to be underweight, but again, photos aren't the best to tell from. She looks to possibly be QH or QH cross? Would be curious to see better photos if possible =)
That's what I was thinking too.

And actually we have fattened her up a bit, and still trying.. she wasn't like skin and bones but she was skinny... I'm glad that I have her though, because she is too beautiful, smart, and sweet not to be in a good loving home.

I'll have to post more and keep you updated (:
Bethannyy22 is offline  
post #14 of 46 Old 02-15-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 133
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
I know a lot of people who don't know their horses pedigree or much about them at all. Non papered, back yard bred horses quickly lose their history as they are sold and that's without going through an auction/rescue situation. Heck, just time alone dims things. 20+ years after buying my old gelding I would have to go look at his papers to remind myself what his lineage is. Without those papers his parentage would be lost.
Very true. She was definitely a diamond in the rough though. Whoever took her to that auction was out of their mind.

My only thing is, I worry if she was mistreated (obviously she was mistreated, she was skinny when they got her) or abused. Though she doesn't act like she was, she's such a big baby and loves to be around people.
Bethannyy22 is offline  
post #15 of 46 Old 02-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: west coast
Posts: 1,484
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
I know a lot of people who don't know their horses pedigree or much about them at all. Non papered, back yard bred horses quickly lose their history as they are sold and that's without going through an auction/rescue situation. Heck, just time alone dims things. 20+ years after buying my old gelding I would have to go look at his papers to remind myself what his lineage is. Without those papers his parentage would be lost.
I am aware of this. However, regardless of papers, I find that most people selling a horse would have somewhere in the add, or mention at some point, what the breed/height/etc (or thought breed/age/height/color) of the horse is. I understand there are other circumstances like the OPs where horse came from auction and history on the horse easily be unknown. I simply assumed OP had tried the horse out before buying. ;)
beverleyy is offline  
post #16 of 46 Old 02-15-2016, 06:50 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: west coast
Posts: 1,484
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethannyy22 View Post
That's what I was thinking too.

And actually we have fattened her up a bit, and still trying.. she wasn't like skin and bones but she was skinny... I'm glad that I have her though, because she is too beautiful, smart, and sweet not to be in a good loving home.

I'll have to post more and keep you updated (:
Yes, please do. She looks like a real sweety! =)
Bethannyy22 likes this.
beverleyy is offline  
post #17 of 46 Old 02-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 16,205
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverleyy View Post
I am aware of this. However, regardless of papers, I find that most people selling a horse would have somewhere in the add, or mention at some point, what the breed/height/etc (or thought breed/age/height/color) of the horse is. I understand there are other circumstances like the OPs where horse came from auction and history on the horse easily be unknown. I simply assumed OP had tried the horse out before buying. ;)
Exactly.

My best friend and I are trying to sell her filly. The only thing I can tell you for 100% certain is that she's black with four white socks and a blaze and she's about 14.2hh. We *think* she's about 4-4.5 years old. We also *think* she's mostly stock horse (QH or paint) with at least some Arab thrown in. We put all that in the ad and stated why we didn't know for sure, though.

OP, she's cute, for sure.

As said, she's chestnut in color.

As for breed, I see mostly stock horse (likely QH), but there's something there that brings to mind Arab. Regardless, she's a grade with no papers, so I'd just say she's a "grade QH cross."

For height...she looks shorter than 15hh to me. If you're 5'3", then her withers would be 3" below the top of your head, which would be just below your eyes, or thereabouts. I'd honestly put her closer to 14.1-14.2hh.
Posted via Mobile Device
beverleyy and Bethannyy22 like this.
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #18 of 46 Old 02-15-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 133
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
Exactly.

My best friend and I are trying to sell her filly. The only thing I can tell you for 100% certain is that she's black with four white socks and a blaze and she's about 14.2hh. We *think* she's about 4-4.5 years old. We also *think* she's mostly stock horse (QH or paint) with at least some Arab thrown in. We put all that in the ad and stated why we didn't know for sure, though.

OP, she's cute, for sure.

As said, she's chestnut in color.

As for breed, I see mostly stock horse (likely QH), but there's something there that brings to mind Arab. Regardless, she's a grade with no papers, so I'd just say she's a "grade QH cross."

For height...she looks shorter than 15hh to me. If you're 5'3", then her withers would be 3" below the top of your head, which would be just below your eyes, or thereabouts. I'd honestly put her closer to 14.1-14.2hh.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you!!! (:

I really appreciate how helpful everyone is!!
Bethannyy22 is offline  
post #19 of 46 Old 02-15-2016, 07:05 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: west coast
Posts: 1,484
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
Exactly.

My best friend and I are trying to sell her filly. The only thing I can tell you for 100% certain is that she's black with four white socks and a blaze and she's about 14.2hh. We *think* she's about 4-4.5 years old. We also *think* she's mostly stock horse (QH or paint) with at least some Arab thrown in. We put all that in the ad and stated why we didn't know for sure, though.

OP, she's cute, for sure.

As said, she's chestnut in color.

As for breed, I see mostly stock horse (likely QH), but there's something there that brings to mind Arab. Regardless, she's a grade with no papers, so I'd just say she's a "grade QH cross."

For height...she looks shorter than 15hh to me. If you're 5'3", then her withers would be 3" below the top of your head, which would be just below your eyes, or thereabouts. I'd honestly put her closer to 14.1-14.2hh.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was almost thinking this too. However, I am incredibly awful at heights and height in relation to another object/depth perception. For example, if I am setting up jumps for someone other than myself I literally either need a measuring tape or I need to be using my own standards (which I have of course marked the heights on each hole )

So yes, OP, now that Drafty has stated what I was thinking, I'd say that she is likely under 15h.
Bethannyy22 likes this.
beverleyy is offline  
post #20 of 46 Old 02-15-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 133
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverleyy View Post
I was almost thinking this too. However, I am incredibly awful at heights and height in relation to another object/depth perception. For example, if I am setting up jumps for someone other than myself I literally either need a measuring tape or I need to be using my own standards (which I have of course marked the heights on each hole )

So yes, OP, now that Drafty has stated what I was thinking, I'd say that she is likely under 15h.
Thank you so much ladies(:

Also thanks for not judging me for not knowing these things.
beverleyy likes this.
Bethannyy22 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome