Thoughts on this horse? - Page 10 - The Horse Forum
 610Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 303 Old 04-30-2016, 05:51 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 2,038
• Horses: 3
He looks a nice horse, but I would be looking for something a bit younger. By the time you have had him seven years your daughter is going to want to be doing more active things with her horse, not still plodding round the arena.
ShirtHotTeez is offline  
post #92 of 303 Old 04-30-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,128
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirtHotTeez View Post
He looks a nice horse, but I would be looking for something a bit younger. By the time you have had him seven years your daughter is going to want to be doing more active things with her horse, not still plodding round the arena.
And that's where horse # 3 comes in! Also, there's always Harley. I don't think he'll ever slow down! I like his spunk personally and maybe in a few years, she'll like it too.
Acadianartist is offline  
post #93 of 303 Old 04-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: eh?
Posts: 2,701
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianartist View Post
What bugs me is how does a horse like this end up in a rescue? He used to be a lesson and trail horse. Then he was with the owner who took these pictures of him and appears to be in good health (if a little chunky). Then he ends up in a rescue, not having been ridden in two years and overweight. I need to know more pieces of the puzzle to understand how this happened if he is such a good horse. People who run lesson programs around here do not sell good, beginner safe horses. They are worth their weight in gold.
Some horses end up in rescues because their owners are unable to care for then, usually an elderly owner who either dies or has to go into a care program. They or their family end up surrendering them because they can't be sold fast enough.
walkinthewalk likes this.
ApuetsoT is offline  
post #94 of 303 Old 04-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 8,506
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApuetsoT View Post
Some horses end up in rescues because their owners are unable to care for then, usually an elderly owner who either dies or has to go into a care program. They or their family end up surrendering them because they can't be sold fast enough.
1. ^^^**This:(

And it is why I am down to two horses, having recently laid my 27 & 29 year olds to rest.

My other two are 21 & 22. The 21 yr old has serious and costly health issues. I am 69 and "Sheriff & The Good Lord Willing", I will keep my health to see both of them to their end times.

There are a handful of ethical people in my county, including the vet facility, who know both these horses get PTS'd and laid to rest on this farm, if something unexpected were to happen to me and DH is no longer "available".

2. Divorces can also bring about abandoned horses. I was in my early 30's when I rescued a registered five gaited Saddlebred out of a boarding barn.

The BO was barely feeding the horse, the couple were in the middle of a nasty divorce and nobody had paid board on the horse for a few months. I managed to get him and his papers for what was owed in board -- back then, that wasn't much.

3. Job loss is another big one.

Anything can happen to make a caring home suddenly go south.

When I read about all the horses fallen on hard times due to their owners falling on hard times, I thank my Lucky Stars, I was able to hang onto not one, but two sets of Keeper Horses in my lifetime. And there were times as a single mom I'm not sure how I managed.
ShirtHotTeez and Whinnie like this.

A Good Horseman Doesn't Have To Tell Anyone; The Horse Already Knows.

I CAN'T ride 'em n slide 'em. I HAVE to lead 'em n feed 'em Thnx cowchick77.
walkinthewalk is offline  
post #95 of 303 Old 04-30-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,128
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
When I read about all the horses fallen on hard times due to their owners falling on hard times, I thank my Lucky Stars, I was able to hang onto not one, but two sets of Keeper Horses in my lifetime. And there were times as a single mom I'm not sure how I managed.
You're my hero. Seriously. I feel guilty and find it challenging right now because we're building a barn and I still want to spend time with Harley, but I don't want to neglect my kids. And I have a husband who is (mostly) around! I honestly don't know how you did it. Hats off to you.
walkinthewalk likes this.
Acadianartist is offline  
post #96 of 303 Old 04-30-2016, 09:18 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SW PA
Posts: 2,285
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
1. ^^^**This:(

And it is why I am down to two horses, having recently laid my 27 & 29 year olds to rest.

My other two are 21 & 22. The 21 yr old has serious and costly health issues. I am 69 and "Sheriff & The Good Lord Willing", I will keep my health to see both of them to their end times.

There are a handful of ethical people in my county, including the vet facility, who know both these horses get PTS'd and laid to rest on this farm, if something unexpected were to happen to me and DH is no longer "available".

2. Divorces can also bring about abandoned horses. I was in my early 30's when I rescued a registered five gaited Saddlebred out of a boarding barn.

The BO was barely feeding the horse, the couple were in the middle of a nasty divorce and nobody had paid board on the horse for a few months. I managed to get him and his papers for what was owed in board -- back then, that wasn't much.

3. Job loss is another big one.

Anything can happen to make a caring home suddenly go south.

When I read about all the horses fallen on hard times due to their owners falling on hard times, I thank my Lucky Stars, I was able to hang onto not one, but two sets of Keeper Horses in my lifetime. And there were times as a single mom I'm not sure how I managed.

When I was looking a horse a few years ago ( well nine years ago..where the heck did the years go?!) I wanted a horse that would be 30 when I was in my 70's. And that is what I will have, God willing and the creek dont rise. Then recently a little dales pony literally fell into my lap. He is six.

And, like you, my hubster, kids, vet, and BO all know if I die they get PTS. No matter the horses ages.
sarahfromsc is offline  
post #97 of 303 Old 04-30-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,128
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahfromsc View Post
When I was looking a horse a few years ago ( well nine years ago..where the heck did the years go?!) I wanted a horse that would be 30 when I was in my 70's. And that is what I will have, God willing and the creek dont rise. Then recently a little dales pony literally fell into my lap. He is six.

And, like you, my hubster, kids, vet, and BO all know if I die they get PTS. No matter the horses ages.
Even the 6 year old?

Good point though. Will have to put some thought into what the heck would happen to the horses if I died. Assuming they were still healthy and rideable, maybe go to my riding coach who runs a lesson program and has 16 horses. Her mother used to breed Arabs so she is particularly fond of Harley. Or my trimmer who knows so much about nutrition and natural horsemanship. And I get such a good vibe from her. They are both amazing horse people and would make responsible decisions about re-homing if necessary.
Acadianartist is offline  
post #98 of 303 Old 04-30-2016, 09:48 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SW PA
Posts: 2,285
• Horses: 0
Even the six year old. My family has no horse sense, that is not a dig on them, but they would not know how or what to feed. Or what to ask for each horse, how to keep the feet trimmed, shots, or what to look for in a buyer. I don't want to out that strain on them.

And if hubster I both go in some horrid accident then my children who live out of state would have to deal,with them from afar. When we move and the horses are on my property I will have to find a buddy system so the horses aren't left starving until next of kin are notified.

I had to have arrangements for my kids when I was single and they were kidsin case something happened to me. I case I feel the same for my horses. Need to take care of them as my ashes are being spread somewhere!

Heck my Arab is only 13..... In his prime! And perfect I will say.....lol
walkinthewalk likes this.
sarahfromsc is offline  
post #99 of 303 Old 05-01-2016, 02:10 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 2,038
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Even the 6 year old?
Well, she is hoping not to go too soon!!
walkinthewalk likes this.
ShirtHotTeez is offline  
post #100 of 303 Old 05-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 33,872
• Horses: 3
I'm sure none of us are wanting to wish ourselves into an early grave but if the worse happened and my DH couldn't cope with all of our horses I'd rather they were pts on our property than think of them ending up on their way to a Mexican slaughter yard.
I've had horses and ponies that stayed (riding) fit and healthy till they were in their late 20's but if I was buying a horse for a young person I'd rather see it as more of a long term project, starting out with a well trained young horse that had the manners and attitude to be a safe ride but the potential to go on and do 'more' if asked. It might mean spending more to buy that horse but in the long run you can save money so IMO its well worth it
ShirtHotTeez likes this.
jaydee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My First Horse ~ Thoughts LilithRainye Horse Training 0 10-03-2015 09:34 PM
Looking at getting this horse...thoughts? GomerandGoober Western Pleasure 16 05-21-2015 10:54 AM
New horse,name thoughts! Brittney917 Horse Talk 11 08-10-2013 04:55 PM
what is you thoughts on this horse cubbinbaby Horse Riding Critique 6 04-08-2008 12:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome