What do i need to know about Central Florida? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 38Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 Old 08-27-2018, 06:28 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Northern Florida
Posts: 4,897
• Horses: 4
@QtrBel I have not experienced those bugs,and I don't think I want to go looking for them either. My biggest shock when I first moved here was the fire ants and the huge spiders. The first spider that I saw here was a very mature wolf spider (very large) and the ginormous orb weavers. I have since come to appreciate both as the orb weavers are beautiful and the wolf spiders keep the palmetto bug (giant roach) populations down.

I also forgot to mention that water front property is not what it is cracked up to be here because you know there is an alligator or many alligators in it.

Yes, I sometimes think that it would be nice to live in TN as I do miss the four seasons from when I lived up north. I just hate being freezing cold. I don't really want to live where the air hurts like in MN and NY (some other places that I have lived). TN seems like a nice compromise as it's much milder than MN and still beautiful. I'm also very much an earth person. I do like the ocean but don't think that I would miss it terribly. I also like visual changes in the topography. If it weren't for the lush vegetation here, I would lose my mind. I don't really care for the flatness, another reason why the low deserts out west would be unappealing to me.

There are many nice things to enjoy in Florida, many months a year of great riding weather is one of them. If I do end up staying here when I retire, it will probably be in Northern Florida a little to the west. I really like the Ocala area as well. Or, maybe TN lol. We might be trading spots.

There will be only one of you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself.
Coffee is my spirit animal
LoriF is offline  
post #12 of 33 Old 08-27-2018, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10,876
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
A very important question I would ask of the Florida folks:

How much have your homeowners no auto insurances gone up in the last ten years thanks to the recent hurricanes?
Bravo Lori...you said it well.

So, I will answer that based upon my personal expenses...
I moved from New York, Long Island specific to Central Florida.

My auto insurance now covers 3 vehicles...
Full coverage, everything on all vehicles with a $500 deductible for collision, extra insurance to cover any outrageous medical bills should they occur from a accident.
Also have a rider for towing the horse trailer and damages, medical bills, etc that could incur to me or others.
Policy is $960 for 6 months just paid this month. It actually went down $13 for the 6-month period.
We have accident and ticket free licenses.
On LI a policy for 2 vehicles...same coverage was $1600 for 6 months.
Same company with a top-tier AAA+ rating.

Home owners...
My home here is 10 years old, ranch design, concrete block construction.
Home is on 2.5 acres deeded, then I have additional property that makes up my total land.
My homeowners policy covers home, land, barn, additional 3 car separate garage, and large storage shed. Included is a sink-hole and flood insurance clauses just in case but I don't live in a area where problems are so...cheap coverage.
Insurance company is again top-tier but not the same as my auto coverage so no "discounts" given for piggy-back or multiple policies.
As low a deductible as allowed by Florida law...
Cost is $726 a year. Has gone down each year a few dollars actually.
My home on LI was smaller, as in tiny square footage on a postage stamp piece of property, small shed. No garage, no barn...
Cost was $1765 in 2012 when we last paid it and sold our home their.

What surprisingly I find costs more is food...
Produce especially....
For a state that grows and produces so much it is very expensive to me...more in fact than up north.
Everything else you can think of to find in the food store is about the same price.

As for bugs...
They breed and grow larger here than up north for sure.
Snakes, yup we've got them.
I have a family of Black Racers that live close to my home...
I am not a fan of snakes but they serve a great purpose to keep vermin under control.
I also with that resident snake family have no venomous snakes as racers are a deadly foe to near all snakes.
I have not seen venomous snakes and I am always on the watch for them.
We have a few other varieties of snake but they not bother me and me not them...we live in harmony.
Alligators...not on my land but they are nearby I'm told.
I have no ponds or reason for them to be here... dry land does not usually attract them.
I have raccoon, fox, coyote, Florida panther, bobcats, wild turkeys, 3 species of owls, several varieties of hawk, bald eagles along with regular song birds and then herons, cow birds and seasonal visitors.
There are bears to the north but not seen near my homes area in about 10+ years I'm told by "local" old-timers.

I get to watch in the sky "live" from a long-distance away rocket launches from the space center.
Disney and Universal are a 1 1/2 hour or so drive as are major airports and the nightlife of theater and concerts of the top headliner shows.
Best medical care is not far away...some of the best in the nation.

But the very best is, when everyone else complains about subzero temperatures, buried under feet of snow and ice.
Dark, dreary weather and blahs of winter I am loving my winter and riding my heart out daily.
You know, there are trade-offs no matter where you live or travel to...financial, social and in amenities.
It took some to acclimate to here, to this change in lifestyle, the weather, but truly I love it at this point in my life.
Depending upon what part of the state absolutely has to do with pricing and coverage amounts for insurances...same as anywhere else.
Florida is a huge state with much to offer to those who look for it...
Close your eyes and wait 5 minutes and change will greet you is something you will hear about the weather...it is true about many things in this state.
...
jmo...
walkinthewalk and LoriF like this.

The worst day is instantly better when shared with my horse.....

Last edited by horselovinguy; 08-27-2018 at 08:16 PM.
horselovinguy is online now  
post #13 of 33 Old 08-27-2018, 09:50 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 807
• Horses: 2
Everyone's covered most things but if you've got a lot of pastureland with lots of brush, mow any brush that can't be used for shade and keep fields mowed. Mowed high is fine, but mowing keeps weeds down. Also the snakes. Rattlesnakes, water moccasins, copperheads, etc etc. Especially if you have water on the property you will have snakes, guaranteed. And keeping things trimmed keeps the bugs down too, especially by the water. But I'd welcome other not-venomous snakes around the feed shed to keep rats at bay lol.


Besides that, you've been covered. Heat, critters, water and all. Welcome to FL!
horselovinguy and LoriF like this.

No matter how much you think you know about horses, there will always be one that'll come along and teach you something new.
ChieTheRider is offline  
post #14 of 33 Old 08-28-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 859
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselovinguy View Post
Bravo Lori...you said it well.

But the very best is, when everyone else complains about subzero temperatures, buried under feet of snow and ice.
Dark, dreary weather and blahs of winter I am loving my winter and riding my heart out daily.
You know, there are trade-offs no matter where you live or travel to...financial, social and in amenities.
It took some to acclimate to here, to this change in lifestyle, the weather, but truly I love it at this point in my life.
Depending upon what part of the state absolutely has to do with pricing and coverage amounts for insurances...same as anywhere else.
Florida is a huge state with much to offer to those who look for it...
Close your eyes and wait 5 minutes and change will greet you is something you will hear about the weather...it is true about many things in this state.
...
jmo...
Great to hear this and the fl winters vs tn winters is the big draw for me. Plus the longer riding season that is a result. Yes tn winters are mild compared to northern states, but when it does snow, itís a wet snow, and can include freezing rain which makes sheets of ice. Wet snow, much less ice makes driving very hazardous. Folks up north think we just donít know how to drive in snow...that is unless they relocate to this area, then they realize the huge difference in wet snow vs light ďdryĒ, blowing snow. Skyís are grey and dreary most of the winter and all the deciduous trees are bare. The mud in the pastures gets boot sucking bad, I stepped completely out of a boot and fell in the mud last winter. That ďmud is in good part horse poo, doncha know. The last several years, we go from winter to summer without a pleasant spring. The rain and continuing mud deter riding or doing anything with your horse, then May comes in HOT which has continued till Sept. thatís when the fall rains begin. October, November, and part of December are The prime riding times unless u haul to an indoor or covered arena. There is random but not consistent riding times available December thru September.

Because of all the comments about sandy pastures with the Bronson area being one of those areas, I have pretty much ruled out that acreage. I would like to get a decent pasture. Iíve not looked in Marion county because the land prices are higher than the counties surrounding Marion county and I think ( but not certain) that property taxes are higher as well. So, which specific counties, areas have the rolling hills with better soil? East vs West Marion county, for example, if u know that in such a specific way. Would I need to have a soil test done to know for sure? Or do u think I could tell when walking the land.

Oh yes, I am researching taxes, auto and homeowners insurance costs. I have always heard that those costs are higher in Fl, but the key will be, if that is so, are they still ď doableĒ for me. From what horselovingguy says, I donít think my auto ins will be much higher, if any higher. My sister is doing the insurance costs research so waiting to hear from her.a
It was surprising to hear that food costs are higher because they werenít higher in ft Myers where my uncle lived. Since itís just me to buy for, again, it depends on how much higher to know how much of an impact that will be.
Bugs, yuck! That will be an adjustment. We have two of the most poisonous spiders in the county here in tn. The last house that I lived in before my current home had a very bad brown recluse spider infestation that the previous owners didnít disclose. Pest control companies flat out say that the insecticides just donít work well for them, and in no way will guarantee complete removal. They said most houses over 30 years old probably have them but they can be mistaken for granddaddy long legs so people donít realize they have them. Luckily none of us got bitten while I lived there,,we were very careful.
My current neighbor had to treat for black widows but I havenít seen any.
Thanks for all the input! Not sure if Iíve covered all the points but will check back to see if Iíve missed something. The search continues...lol...

Fay
mslady254 is offline  
post #15 of 33 Old 08-28-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 859
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriF View Post
@QtrBel I have not experienced those bugs,and I don't think I want to go looking for them either. My biggest shock when I first moved here was the fire ants and the huge spiders. The first spider that I saw here was a very mature wolf spider (very large) and the ginormous orb weavers. I have since come to appreciate both as the orb weavers are beautiful and the wolf spiders keep the palmetto bug (giant roach) populations down.

I also forgot to mention that water front property is not what it is cracked up to be here because you know there is an alligator or many alligators in it.

Yes, I sometimes think that it would be nice to live in TN as I do miss the four seasons from when I lived up north. I just hate being freezing cold. I don't really want to live where the air hurts like in MN and NY (some other places that I have lived). TN seems like a nice compromise as it's much milder than MN and still beautiful. I'm also very much an earth person. I do like the ocean but don't think that I would miss it terribly. I also like visual changes in the topography. If it weren't for the lush vegetation here, I would lose my mind. I don't really care for the flatness, another reason why the low deserts out west would be unappealing to me.

There are many nice things to enjoy in Florida, many months a year of great riding weather is one of them. If I do end up staying here when I retire, it will probably be in Northern Florida a little to the west. I really like the Ocala area as well. Or, maybe TN lol. We might be trading spots.
Yes, donít want alligators on the farm! I might miss the season changes, as u mention but I hope it will be a worthwhile trade off for the winters and more horse time.
If only u were ready, we could talk about trading spots!

Respect......rapport......impulsion......flexion.. .
Be as soft as possible, but as firm as necessary--Pat Parelli
mslady254 is offline  
post #16 of 33 Old 08-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,679
• Horses: 0
I live near High Springs and we have nice rich pasture. The rolling hills are mostly in dunnellon and north of ocala between Ocala and Gainesville. Of course compared to up north they are tiny hills. The best thing you can do is come here and look at properties in person and drive through the area.

We just had another storm drop several inches of rain with severe lightning. I'm surprised we have electric and internet right now. It is still pouring. My grass looks better than ever!
4horses is offline  
post #17 of 33 Old 08-28-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 859
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChieTheRider View Post
Everyone's covered most things but if you've got a lot of pastureland with lots of brush, mow any brush that can't be used for shade and keep fields mowed. Mowed high is fine, but mowing keeps weeds down. Also the snakes. Rattlesnakes, water moccasins, copperheads, etc etc. Especially if you have water on the property you will have snakes, guaranteed. And keeping things trimmed keeps the bugs down too, especially by the water. But I'd welcome other not-venomous snakes around the feed shed to keep rats at bay lol.


Besides that, you've been covered. Heat, critters, water and all. Welcome to FL!
Thanks for the great tip! I did realize we will need to mow the fields, that is true here as well as Iíve learned second hand up here. Ha, maybe I can import some good snakes to the farm.

Fay

Respect......rapport......impulsion......flexion.. .
Be as soft as possible, but as firm as necessary--Pat Parelli
mslady254 is offline  
post #18 of 33 Old 08-28-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 859
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4horses View Post
I live near High Springs and we have nice rich pasture. The rolling hills are mostly in dunnellon and north of ocala between Ocala and Gainesville. Of course compared to up north they are tiny hills. The best thing you can do is come here and look at properties in person and drive through the area.

We just had another storm drop several inches of rain with severe lightning. I'm surprised we have electric and internet right now. It is still pouring. My grass looks better than ever!

Thanks so much for this specific info! Iíll google high springs to learn more. Iím somewhat familiar with Ocala and Dunnellon. Plus I am keeping horselovingguys area in mind.
Iím assuming from Ocala thru Reddick has good soil for pastures since thatís where the huge horse farms,aka Millinaires row is located as well as the Parelli Center. Need to reread the first responses to see if they named specific areas.

Yes, seeing in person will help. Unfortunately, each trip will cost me around $600 if I stay for 4 days plus 2 travel days, which I think is minimum to look at several properties and areas....fuel, food, hotel cost. So, Iíll be doing as much research as possible without making the trip! Hopefully, will make 3 or less trips. Cost is definitely a consideration! We were coming 9/1 thru 9/6 to look at the Bronson acreage but unless we find something else to look at in a not so sandy area, we will be canceling the hotel and trip, hotel has to be cancelled tomorrow or Thursday,,,,have to look.

Fay

Respect......rapport......impulsion......flexion.. .
Be as soft as possible, but as firm as necessary--Pat Parelli
mslady254 is offline  
post #19 of 33 Old 08-28-2018, 09:04 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Hildreth, FL
Posts: 2,698
• Horses: 5
I live close to @4horses and we have gentle rolling hills. Suwannee County and Columbia County have lower taxes. We have decent pasture. We live on a hill so don't have to worry about flooding. Make sure the places you look at are not in low areas because the flooding can be catastrophic.

When you come, be sure to pm 4horses or me because we can take you riding and you can see what our gentle hills look like and if that terrain is interesting enough for you. Hopefully we can get @LoriF to join us too! And anyone else on this Forum who might like to join up.
LoriF likes this.
knightrider is offline  
post #20 of 33 Old 08-28-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 859
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
I live close to @4horses and we have gentle rolling hills. Suwannee County and Columbia County have lower taxes. We have decent pasture. We live on a hill so don't have to worry about flooding. Make sure the places you look at are not in low areas because the flooding can be catastrophic.

When you come, be sure to pm 4horses or me because we can take you riding and you can see what our gentle hills look like and if that terrain is interesting enough for you. Hopefully we can get @LoriF to join us too! And anyone else on this Forum who might like to join up.
Great inFo! Get to go riding while looking at land! AwEsome!, Iíll take u up on that offer, it will be 2 of us.

Fay
knightrider likes this.

Respect......rapport......impulsion......flexion.. .
Be as soft as possible, but as firm as necessary--Pat Parelli
mslady254 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Few Spot Mule Colt Central Florida XenaWarriorPrincess Horses for Sale 0 02-26-2014 09:11 PM
Hello from Central Florida! Whiskey on a Sunday Welcome! Introduce yourself here! 5 03-13-2012 12:51 AM
Central Florida horse folks! Cowgirl140ty Trail Riding 5 12-12-2011 01:01 AM
Does anyone trail ride in central Florida? CloudsMystique Trail Riding 0 09-29-2009 01:24 AM
Great Boarding Facility in Central Florida Findlyminefarmjuniorrider Barn Maintenance 1 06-22-2008 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome