Why did my mare buck me off for no reason? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 42Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 02-24-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
• Horses: 0
Yes these are Fijian horses, I have been told they are similar to a quarter horse but much tougher!
ruthiefiji is offline  
post #12 of 29 Old 02-24-2015, 06:42 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 964
• Horses: 0
Until the foal is fully weaned and she's adjusted you'll be fighting a battle against her instinct. I would wait, wean the foal and begin from scratch.
Yogiwick likes this.
EponaLynn is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthiefiji View Post
I have had my mare since she was two days old, 3 years ago and she has always been very quiet and eventually responsive to all the ground training. When I backed her, I rode her only once and discovered she was in foal. The foal is now 7 months old and is not weaned yet. I have tried to ride her recently but she bucked me off a couple of days ago and now doesn't want to let me back on. I must admit I am quite nervous and I am not an experienced rider and she is my very first horse. Other experienced riders do not have any problems with her and say obviously I have treated her like a baby which is probably true. I live in Fiji and obviously there is no riding school to teach me some skills so can anyone offer advice as I am very disappointed in myself and my mare! Thank you in anticipation.
So you bought the mare at 2 days old I assume she stayed with mom until weaning?

She's 3 years old now and the foal is 7 months so she foaled at 2 1/2 so was bred before she was 2 and I'm assuming you backed her around 2 if not earlier?

Sounds like a bit of a mess honestly. Far too young to be bred or ridden. She is a baby and needs time to grow up.

You need help. You don't have the experience, though I appreciate you are trying to get it. Can one of these experienced riders help you?

Stop babying her. She is young and green, don't push her. Are there better trained horses you can ride to give yourself some more experience?

Leave her alone until the foal's weaned. At 7 months old I would be starting that. Give her some time to adjust then restart. Sounds like she's a sweet girl and just (appreciatively) concerned.

In response to other posters. The mare was ridden once before foaling and has no prior training to go back to. The mare was 2 if not younger at the time.
beverleyy, Larissa and ruthiefiji like this.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 02-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,293
• Horses: 0
To help build a better relationship with this mare, be like a soldier. Ever notice how straight they walk and move with confidence? That is what you need to do. She is neither a baby or a puppy but a large animal that is capable of harming you. Start by taking her for a walk and don't allow her to get ahead of you, lag behind or crowd you. Flap your elbow periodically if she moves her head toward you as you walk together. The foal can come along so she needn't worry about it. Work on this until it is perfect. When you turn her, turn her to the right which tells her you're the dominant one. When you turn to the left, she's dominating you. As you lead her keep your focus about a 100 yards ahead which keeps your shoulders square. Try not to look at her, do not talk to her or pet her. Talking and petting are not part of horse language it makes humans feel better.



ruthiefiji likes this.
Saddlebag is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 02-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 4,863
• Horses: 1
I know you think the mare bucked you off for no reason, but I don't think that's true. I think she had a lot of reasons, including that she'd been out of work for a long time, with hardly any initial training and she was leaving her foal behind! These are heaps of valid reasons.

From what you say, it sounds like you actually have yourself a good little mare. She said you saddled and rode her and she was great.

Right now though there are a lot of factors working against her. You need to address these. First, work out your weaning plan with the foal and before you start riding again make sure the foal is completely weaned. Then start from scratch, pretend she knows nothing and retrain her to be saddled, lunged etc. Back her as if she has never been ridden and then continue on slowly.
ruthiefiji likes this.
Saskia is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 02-25-2015, 07:29 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,082
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
I know you think the mare bucked you off for no reason, but I don't think that's true. I think she had a lot of reasons, including that she'd been out of work for a long time, with hardly any initial training and she was leaving her foal behind! These are heaps of valid reasons.

From what you say, it sounds like you actually have yourself a good little mare. She said you saddled and rode her and she was great.

Right now though there are a lot of factors working against her. You need to address these. First, work out your weaning plan with the foal and before you start riding again make sure the foal is completely weaned. Then start from scratch, pretend she knows nothing and retrain her to be saddled, lunged etc. Back her as if she has never been ridden and then continue on slowly.
I gather that she has never been in work. Only backed once, a year or so prior. So no work, no training, I doubt if even ground training. So the horse has not been set up for success. Of course she will buck, she doesn't know any different but to get that off her back.
Can you get some videos on colt starting? That may be more helpful so you can see some techniques. I hate to see this turn into one of the horses that are always a problem to no fault of their own.
Yogiwick likes this.
churumbeque is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 02-25-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag View Post
To help build a better relationship with this mare, be like a soldier. Ever notice how straight they walk and move with confidence? That is what you need to do. She is neither a baby or a puppy but a large animal that is capable of harming you. Start by taking her for a walk and don't allow her to get ahead of you, lag behind or crowd you. Flap your elbow periodically if she moves her head toward you as you walk together. The foal can come along so she needn't worry about it. Work on this until it is perfect. When you turn her, turn her to the right which tells her you're the dominant one. When you turn to the left, she's dominating you. As you lead her keep your focus about a 100 yards ahead which keeps your shoulders square. Try not to look at her, do not talk to her or pet her. Talking and petting are not part of horse language it makes humans feel better.
Thank you so much for this advice. I will try everything today. I do tend to talk to her and pet her whilst we are walking and I also give her treats when she does something right but will not be doing this anymore. Cheers.
VickiRose likes this.
ruthiefiji is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 02-25-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque View Post
I gather that she has never been in work. Only backed once, a year or so prior. So no work, no training, I doubt if even ground training. So the horse has not been set up for success. Of course she will buck, she doesn't know any different but to get that off her back.
Can you get some videos on colt starting? That may be more helpful so you can see some techniques. I hate to see this turn into one of the horses that are always a problem to no fault of their own.
I did ground work from when she was 3 months old up until she was in foal when she was ridden for the first time. I will certainly watch some more training videos thank you.
ruthiefiji is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 02-25-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EponaLynn View Post
Agree with Tiny.

She didn't buck you off for no reason, there was one you just didn't see it.

After you backed her the first time you could have kept riding her even though she was in foal. It sounds like you let the training go so she could be a brood mare - did she get bred by accident?

So now it's back to square one with her, beginning on the ground and working your way back to where you were (which she has currently "forgotten").

I suggest you wait until she is without baby at her side (if you separated them that right there could have been the reason). You can get DVD series which help you to train or even watch some of Stacey Westfall's Jac series on YouTube (watch them in order to see how she progresses and prepares for the inevitable issues). She is a fabulous trainer so will get results much faster than you but if no one can help you'll need to educate yourself online as best as possible.

Thanks for the advice and will definitely start watching the training videos.
EponaLynn likes this.
ruthiefiji is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthiefiji View Post
Thank you so much for this advice. I will try everything today. I do tend to talk to her and pet her whilst we are walking and I also give her treats when she does something right but will not be doing this anymore. Cheers.
While I agree with the general sentiment talking/petting/treats do have their place. Especially talking.

It may help to have verbal commands (walk on, whoa, easy, "eh!", enough! etc). Some horses respond VERY well to vocal cues (the intention even if they don't know the meaning though you can teach meanings). What you shouldn't do "oh what a good girl, you're so pretty, so we're just walking down the road now, oh the sun is so nice, now don't be worried that's just a little puddle" (stop and pet, treat after crossing puddle etc).

Just expect her to be good and you need to have authority. Don't ramble, don't think talking/pets/treats are "bad" though, they just need to be done appropriately, and as I said appropriate talking may be very beneficial to you.

If she is fresh give the lead a tug, but sounds like she is relatively quiet on the ground?

Out of curiosity when was she weaned? Work should always be age appropriate but no reason she shouldn't be 110% behaved on the ground at this point. At this age she can begin doing more physical things like lunging (do take it easy and do NOT do these things until everything else is solid) which I would do before working on saddle stuff.
ruthiefiji likes this.
Yogiwick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is just ONE reason I'm E-XCITED about the foal from our SWB Mare HGEsquire Horse Breeding 8 08-26-2011 06:02 PM
Any reason? ShutUpJoe Horse Breeding 17 04-20-2010 02:39 PM
****y mare starting to buck toadflax Horse Training 14 09-06-2009 06:24 PM
She's my reason. ameliaelizabeth Horse Videos 2 07-25-2009 11:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome