The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Those weird fears...

1K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Shoebox 
#1 ·
My pony is scared of any ground that's a different colour. Shadows, road markings, tyre tracks, anything. Whats the randomest fear your horse has? :D

#2 ·
Kangaroos. And since they are wild animals I can't get her close enough to get used to them. I've had her almost two years, been on plenty of trail rides past them(50 or so meters is a close as we can get) and not doubt she'll stop and look at them EVERY time.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
Alpacas, drain pipes, vines, mailboxes, puddles and big rocks. Not deathly terrified (apart from the alpacas), but enough to make him stop, stare, and even shy. He does occasionally freak out over different coloured ground though :P

But I once knew a horse who was terrified of its own shadow, and it's own manure...

#7 ·
My boy is generally fearless and bombproof, will go without batting an eyelid by and under heavy machinery, by, over and under anything that floats, bumps, rustles, pops, moves in any way or makes any sound...except for wild ducks and frogs. They eat 16.2hh, heavy built warmbloods, apparently. Spooks at them every time. just like I twitch and jump a little whenever I hear/see a toast popping out of the toaster. :D

Reactions: amberly
#8 ·
Spray bottles.. Golley is afraid it will bite him and stuff.
Hey! Didn't you know that spray bottles eat horses? Duh!!

And one of my favorites for our new horse - crinkly water bottles. Deathly afraid of them.

If you want me to find something Brisco doesn't like, good luck. I haven't found his weak spot yet!! ...Actually I have NEVER found his weak spot in the 10 years we have had them!

#9 ·
It is so weird that horses are so afraid of alpacas and Llamas! I don't understand that at all....I've heard so many stories about people having great, cool and calm horses that never spook or are afraid of anything, but then when they get around a llama they just flip out completely. I've seen horses do that too personally, my cousins horse does it. It's strange...

One of my friends horses is afraid of every stump or large rock on the trail. She'll side step away from it and puff herself up.

#10 ·
There is one spot on the property where I ride that she just freaks out over.
They think the coyotes in the area bring their kills to that spot, because even the most bomb proof horses that board there get a little nervous when they pass it.

If we're not in that spot she's fine, but when we're around there anything could be coming to get her. Lizards, leaves. She once lost it when her own colt came walking around the corner!

#11 ·
When I bought my gelding, I asked whether he was spooky on trails. She said, "he will never spook at anything, he is as quiet as a mouse, EXCEPT with pigs. He is totally terrified of pigs!". So far, I haven't seen him spook at anything, and he is just as quiet as she explained. I don't want to encounter any pigs though!

#12 ·
One of the horses i ride Eric is afraid of just about everything, but i was riding him the other week and someone was taking pictures and he was terrified of the camera, not the flash or the noise just the camera in general. He's petrified of umbrellas and seriously freaks out when he sees them, it's really bad.

#13 ·
My mare is scared to death of logs or branches on the floor that has fallen or been cut off a tree, yet she will jump them when we're doing cross country! Also she hates when my paddock bushes get trimmed back tehee. My youngster is scared of fly spray so I have to make noises to clear out the PSH noise it makes!

#14 ·
My childhood pony was deathly afraid of water. Now you are imagining a horse that jumps away from the hose, maybe avoids puddles. NO I mean anything that looked like it could be wet was out to kill her. dark pavement, dark sand, tarps, dark stones, They are all coming for her. Also the sound of water would set her off, as in if she was in her stall and someone in the barn turned on the tap. Or if she knocked her water bucket, or peed. :|One time I had her up in the indoor arena (was up the hill from the barn) and someone in the barn turned on a power washer to clean the aisle way. She couldn't see it, couldn't even see the barn, but still got scared enough to rear violently enough to rip the nails off the hand that was holding her halter. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.