The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FFA Horse Judging

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  A knack for horses 
#1 ·
My FFA chapter's team and i placed 1st the state in the FL FFA State Horse Judging Preliminaries! There were 74 high school teams and 296 individuals. I was the highest individual in the state! Another one of my teammates placed 4th highest individual! I am very proud of them. The contest included a 25 question written exam. 8 judging classes 4 in-hand (Arabian mares, Hunters in Hand, Stock type geildings, and Stock type mares). 4 performace classes ( Hunter under saddle, Western Pleasure, Hunt Seat Equitation, and Western Riding). There was also one 10 question class based upon your notes. We are very excited to move up to the state competition with the other top 15 teams! We have to judge 8 classes and give reasons on 4 of them. Does anyone know of any resources for judging and giving reasons? Thanks!

#2 ·
First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is Awesome! I'm hoping to make top 20 individuals at IL. horse judging in the fall.

As far as reasons/judging practice, Jon Wolf makes some great DVD's on judging and giving reasons. Our school uses them and they are really helpful to me (I'm basically the only Horse judging member from my chapter)

If you want real practice, I would call local barns/stables up to set up some classes for you (even if they are only halter)

#4 ·
Trust me it takes time. My freshman year we were 32nd, then my sophmore year we were 4th, and now 1st! It takes time to get the right people on the team who are good. I love this team, we are all very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.