The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What do you think about that one? I’m conflicted... actually dramatic or something wrong?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I think it’s funny, but naughty. Lol. It isn’t something that one should allow a horse to get away with, but I guess if you have a sense of humor about it you probably laugh.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
A friend of mine's sisters horse used to lay down whenever she felt she had gone far enough. And sometimes it was not very far. She was a Belgian X Appaloosa and her rider was a teeny little person so it was not fatique. We rode around the country blocks near where we lived. Whipping - pulling etc did not work. The only thing that worked was fashioning ankle bracelets wit shoeing nails sticking out of them so that she poked herself when she folded her legs underneath her. This was the early 80's so it may have been more acceptable then. It cured her until she figured out how to rub her rider off on trees and fence posts.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It's funny only because i'm not having to fix it. I can imagine that it being quirky has allowed it to get to the point where it's a problem. Very naughty; i'd get after it so jelly legs didn't have a chance to take over.

There was a pony called Blue at my riding school when i was young who learned to remove riders by pushing into the kicking boards around the arena, bruising their legs. I don't think they cured it but it was manageable if you were a strong rider.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I think it's hysterical myself. But yes, naughty and something he learned WORKS. Don't tell me horses don't have some sense of premeditated drama and acting ability. Some learn by accident what works, others I am fully convinced are sharp enough, clever enough, to intentionally fake death, disease, or injury from the get go.

To believe otherwise means you're going to get outsmarted by that type of horse at every turn.

And just look what happens! They die over and over again! LOL

Reactions: Knave

·
Administrator
36,132 Posts
The local riding school to me where I was working, to cover for the manager who was on maternity leave, bought a mare that was outgrown by its owner.
They knew the pony well and it had never put a foot wrong. After being used in the school for a few months it started to lie down, flat out, as soon as it was led out to be ridden and wouldn't get up until the 'ride' it was supposed to be on had left the yard. It wasn't an old pony, about 8 I think.
They sent it to the vet to be fully examined but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. The owner of the school didn't want her back so the vet decided to keep her as a pasture pet with the rest of his collection of unwanted donkeys and ponies
A few years later I was working on the yard where I spent 10 years of my life and one of the young girls there had just sent an elderly pony off to the same vet where it had to be euthanized, she was so upset the vet asked her if she wanted to try a pony he had and when it duly arrived on the yard and I recognized her straight away.
She never lay down to avoid being ridden in all the time she was there.
I think she just objected to riding school work

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do not think it is funny. Here is another video.

Both videos are very over-edited so it is kind of difficult to tell what is going on. This horse is trained to do this, either intentionally or unintentionally. In my opinion, it looks as if he is cueing the horse to lie down. If that is not true, by letting the horse do that, the horse learns that by lying down, she gets release and sometimes carrots.

I understand that in different places there are different cultures, but if that were my horse, I would not be riding her. She looks too skinny, or in the very least, too under-muscled to be ridden.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
This horse... well... pony... got it figured out though. He just plays dead to do it and punk people out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have no doubts that horses (and ponies) are smart; they can quickly and easily figure out that by doing a certain action, they can get a desired consequence. However, we can both agree that what that horse is doing is not natural. Horses do not do something for no reason. I also have no doubts that horses like to play and have a sense of humor, but if the human is not cueing and/or doing something to reinforce that behavior, be it positively or negatively, then I do not think he is doing that just to "punk people out." It could be a comfort position. I have seen horse lie down, roll, and lie on their backs like that when they have had gastrointestinal problems. Yes, he could just be goofing off, but do not assume that is the only reason.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It looks like she was prob trained to do that for comedy. It looks like the dude that is handling her is not doing anything to try and correct her in the second video and he is simply walking away. They prob just did that to just get some attention on YT.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
I have had two horses that would just buckle and lay down when they thought they had done enough - with one, a pony, that was about 10 yards of movement.

With her, I wasn't in control of the matter, she was hog tied and left for an hour. That stopped her nonsense.

The other was a mare of unknown parentage, she wouldmjust go down and refuse to get up. Even throwing a bucket of water over her didn't make her move.

Taking my mother's advice of 'there's more than one way to skin a cat' I tried something different. She went down and I remained sitting on her side. I bumped around, lifted her head with the bridle (still whilst on her) and let it drop. I mad her lying there darn uncomfortable and after about 15 minutes she got up - with me still in her.

Her next ploy was that if she had to go then she would go FAST. I am sure it was to intimidate me. Didn't work so she settled and only tried it once more with me. She was fine after that.

Hybrid Horseman, aka Paul Williams, had a video of a filly doing just this and he did he same thing, remained on her and made it very uncomfortable for her. Sorry, cannot find the video.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have a horse that used to try that. The first time, my son was riding her. He was maybe 45 lbs at the time, and I think he was just letting her wander around. She may have forgotten he was there. She laid down and tried to roll. He was quickly off and unhurt, but she learned that rolling in a saddle was not fun.

The next time she was ridden, it was by my daughter's friend (about 11 or 12) who had never ridden before. The mare laid down again. I yelled to the girl to get off because I thought the mare might roll again. She just stood back up, quite proud of herself for figuring out how to remove a rider.

I switched horses and rode the mare like a beginner. She wandered around a bit, and I felt her about to go down. I pulled my feet out of the stirrups and pounced on her neck as soon as she was down. She didn't like being pinned down! She struggled and managed to stand back up with me on her neck. I climbed back over the saddle horn (not easy!) and kept riding. That mare hasn't tried it again in over a year.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
That horse doesn't look like he's having fun to me. Either someone has laid him down so much he thinks that's all he should do when approached by a human or maybe could this be a reaction to cinch pressure? There were some posts on here in the past about horses that would pass out or collapse from cinch pressure. Maybe this could be that type of situation? He's really not lying down in a natural way, he is sort of throwing himself down. And then lays there like he's given up. I would be curious how he acts when being cinched.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
So who noticed when he's standing up, he's in a ring snaffle.

When he's on the ground next, he's in a tom thumb type bit... then he's in a snaffle?

Heavily edited indeed. But that horse is trained to lay down. Watch for the subtle cues, how the guy pulls the reins back. He's not really trying to get on.

Reactions: Aquamarine

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Interesting. The original video has been disabled by the owner of said video....

·
Banned
43 Posts
i think it is naughty but also funny. i am sure there is people that could help rider and try and solve it a it isnt the best if wanting to do shows and stuff. i would say it is just like a bad habit :)

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
I had a draft that would do it in full harness. Her sister would sit like a dog. Not anything they were taught and certainly discouraged until it no longer happened. We had only had them do it a couple of times before they were sent off to farm school to be introduced to all sorts of equipment we didn't have. They did it with him and he thought they were dying. Not. Funny. Nothing wrong with them. Just evasion.

I did though have one that I did train to a dog collar and taught all the tricks so I could enter her as Clifford the Big Red Dog in costume contests.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
I had a draft that would do it in full harness. Her sister would sit like a dog. Not anything they were taught and certainly discouraged until it no longer happened. We had only had them do it a couple of times before they were sent off to farm school to be introduced to all sorts of equipment we didn't have. They did it with him and he thought they were dying. Not. Funny. Nothing wrong with them. Just evasion.

I did though have one that I did train to a dog collar and taught all the tricks so I could enter her as Clifford the Big Red Dog in costume contests.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.