The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to our local auction today, prices were so low because there is NO feed around here at all. There were plently of starved/neglected/injured horses, mares in foal and with foals by thier side. I only grabbed some crappy cell phone pics.

More in next post.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More :(

There will be MORE in the next one.. these pictures show just a tiny fraction of the number of horses that were present. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
And it's happening all over. It's no different at the auctions I go to in GA or NC. Most would be lucky to get a bid over $100. You could go with $1,000 and bring home a herd of potentially nice horses. It's sad that those crappy Asian saddles they sell before the livestock bring 3xs as much.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I'm surprised to hear the market is so low in Australia. Its been depressed in the states for some time as well. Wish I could make your drought go away :-(.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's 100% AWEFUL!!!! Some if not most of those horses have a lot of potential! I might be visiting some auctions down the road and picking up a few of those poor babies.:-(

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wow, that's awful!!! Prices are terrible here and there are tons of horses at the sales but I haven't seen any look that bad!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
That is heart breaking. A lot of those horses are so stunning as well. It's really a shame that people wouldn't think to go and look at places like these for a new mount instead of paying thousands for another.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
These are all very pretty horses. If I found them I'm afraid I'd come back with six, as thats what I have room for right now. Its horrible to see this and I agree with your subject line. After the twenty some rescues I've worked with so far this year I hope it makes people think twice about breeding. There are more than plenty nice horses around to choose from. Un-fortunately, this cycle will never be broken due to the mentality of people like the post a few above mine..... :(

·
Registered
693 Posts
wow that is so sad and I too did not realise the situation was quite so bad in Australia, that foal only looked a few weeks old and the mare just looked so depressed. I've only been to one auction and there were not that many nice horses and certainly no foals or weanlings but that was a few years ago. I'm definately considering buying a youngster instead of breeding when the time is right for me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is very sad.

I think most people really don't realise that Australia's horse market is really starting to suffer. My friend was forced to take two of her horses to this auction, she took her 9yr old pinto thoroughbred JC registered and was wanting 1,500$ for him, perfect health/no lameness/good condition/pony club exp/quiet etc and was only expecting to get around 300$ for him. The other was an un-broke & un-halter trained percheronx filly, I don't know what happened to her but I'm not expecting good news. They bred that filly.

So anyone who considers buying a horse instead of breeding gets a thumbs up from me it dosn't even have to be an auction horse that you get, just buying one instead of breeding one will make a difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd still breed my mare. The only one I would want out of that bunch is the clyde and only if he was 15 or under.
Is that all you can think about ? Is what horse you would like? UHm think of those poor horses that don't get a second chance in life and all you can think about is what one you would buy? I have a big spot in my heart for horses and they all deserve a second chance. So you would only by that clyde if it was 15 or under Age doesn't matter at all If thats all you want then obviously its hard for me to imagine you being able to ride a horse under that age. Looks and age isn't everything its just a state of mind ..
Some people really need to think about how they would feel to be put under the presure some of these beautiful animals go through ..:-(

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I like that steel grey... it makes me sad to see horses like this, when my girl, and the two I oversee the care of, are fat sassy, and spoiled...I wish I had money to rescue a few here and there...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ive given allot of horses a second chance, the ones with potential that is. I dont know enough about those horses to decide if they have ability to find a home.
For my personal horses I dont want a nasty one, I want the breed I like, papers (if something ever happens to me that will help provide a nice home. Plus I want to know disposition and ability), and I don't want any soundness issues. I want a clyde for my personal horse. 15 is the oldest id want to break a horse. Id also want allot of years with him.
And I would still breed because I want a certain bloodline and disposition.
Is that all you can think about ? Is what horse you would like? UHm think of those poor horses that don't get a second chance in life and all you can think about is what one you would buy? I have a big spot in my heart for horses and they all deserve a second chance. So you would only by that clyde if it was 15 or under Age doesn't matter at all If thats all you want then obviously its hard for me to imagine you being able to ride a horse under that age. Looks and age isn't everything its just a state of mind ..
Some people really need to think about how they would feel to be put under the presure some of these beautiful animals go through ..:-(

1 - 20 of 57 Posts