The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do 1 eared bridles effect horses differently then a full head bridle? I was cosideing buying one but never used one and don't think my mare has either....

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
If your going to be doing some heavy duty trail riding I wouldnt recommended one. Very easy to pull off. For anything else there just fine. Personally I like the look of less with the one ear headstall.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
)ne-eared bridles come either with or without a throatlatch. At one time those without a throatlatch were used in the show ring.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I personally do not like one-eared headstalls. It is too easy to slip off.

I prefer all my headstalls to have a browband and a throatlatch. Much more secure.

It doesn't make any difference to the horse though; the horse still has a bit in its mouth.

·
Premium Member
13,288 Posts
I find them easier to put on the horse. They work fine with leveraged bits from what I've seen. I had one come off when used with a snaffle. In theory, having only one strap of leather over the poll might give a clearer signal to the horse when the curb bit applies poll pressure. Overall, my horse seems more comfortable in one, although that is just an impression I get.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I ride my horse in one, I like it for the most part. The only booger is with my last horse when we would game he would put his ears back, and it would start to slide off. Thankfully it never came all the way off!

·
Registered
42 Posts
One of my headstalls only has one ear and I don't have any issues with it. I don't think my horses notice if they wear one with one ear or a browband. It has never come close to coming off. That being said, I think it depends on the leather. Mine is flat and a bit thicker (imo), but I've seen ones that are rolled. I'd imagine that those would be easier to slip off.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I use a one eared and have never had trouble with it coming off. I don't see how one ear could make a difference from two ear or browband.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
Like BSMS said, I reserve the one ear headstalls for my broke horses that are in a curb bit. And my snaffle bits always go on a browbrand headstall.

If I was barrel racing, like Beau, I would use browband headstalls especially on gag type bits. The browband headstall offers a little bit more stability in those situations in my opinion. I have seen girls go to pull back on both reins causing slack in the headstall and the ear loop pops up over the ear.

I even have preferences on the different types of one ears, I prefer the split ear compared to the sliding one ear for work. I have both types and a lot of the show one ears are the sliding one ear(actually the sliding double ears are popular now). I ride in the brush and the thick willows along the river and I have never had a split ear headstall come off.(hopefully I didn't just jinx myself..LOL) I also don't allow my horses to rub on me or anything else while their bridles are on so I don't worry about them rubbing them off either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.