The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 10 year old pony that has never been broken in properly; shes good with a saddle and briddle but when it comes to getting her to do what you want her to she doesnt understand what your asking for.
is it possible to lunge her to get her going? baring in mind; id only be using a field!!:?

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
If you've never started a horse by yourself before, then I strongly suggest you get a trainer or experienced horse-person to help you. An inexperienced person trying to train a green horse almost always ends badly for both of them.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
In my area, yes, but I strongly suspect you are not in my area.

Having helped someone else start one horse and then watching some other get started doesn't make you anywhere close to experienced in regards to starting one by yourself.

The only way to know if she will lunge well is to give it a shot, but you need to know what to do beforehand if she starts acting silly.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
do you have a trainer near you ?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i would at least have someone come out and help you lunge and do groundwork. once she is solid and respectful on the ground you can work with the trainer on getting her going undersaddle.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
I'd also advise getting a trainer. Lunging will be helpful but if you don't know how, then that's not good. Also doing ground work in a rope halter will help her understand what you're asking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.