The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Nice horse. A little racing QH in her lines. :)

She is a little long. Stands over a lot of ground. Her peak of croup is a little far back. Her shoulder seems to be nice and open.. but she is dark and I may have marked it incorrectly. She looks a little pigeon breasted and her neck is set a bit low. Her hind leg is OK.. but it looks like her near hind fetlock is ready to knuckle over. Her hind cannon is set slightly too far back under her hock. She is down hill in build. Her hocks and knees are very nicely set low. Her bone is adequate. I do not think she is tied in at the knee.. and I hope she is not.

I am being very fussy here because you are talking about breeding her and the right stallion is important. She is breed worthy but you need to pick a stallion prepotent in a short backs and larger hind quarters with a correct hind leg.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want another opinion I would suggest posting a pic of the mare and when you have narrowed it down pics of potential studs and have someone like Elana give a "breeding critique"
I can't save any pics from Slicks Left Prints website. I keep getting an error and the page has to reload. I think it has something to do with the photo player on their site.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Slick looks pretty long in the back. Definitely not short like she needs. Hollywood dun it as well. I'd look specifically for shorter backed stallions.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
this mare looks a little on the thin side. How tall is she ? I breed for more height. she looks to be under 14 hands. I would find a stud horse that has a better physique and also look at what the studs parentage looked like. I have seen some ugly babies from pretty parents .

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I don't think she looks thin. It's her build. Wouldn't want her too much thinner though but I think she looks good!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this mare looks a little on the thin side. How tall is she ? I breed for more height. she looks to be under 14 hands. I would find a stud horse that has a better physique and also look at what the studs parentage looked like. I have seen some ugly babies from pretty parents .
She is right at 15hh, maybe a tad more. She gets fed 2lbs of ADM Senior Glo 2x's a day, 1lb of alfalfa pellets, 1oz of wheat germ oil once a day and hay 3x's a day. She is built more like a TB. You cannot feel or see her ribs so I think her weight is fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now that I can see him, yeah she is. And he doesn't have enough hip for her either. I must have missed the additional pics of him. I looked a lot last night and I am not really finding what I'm looking for as far as stallions. I need to stay under $1k stud fee and there really isn't much. I've looked on equine.com, dreamhorse.com, equinenow.com and not really coming up with much. I would like a reining stallion, I think it would give her some bulk.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
If your mare was built like this stallion, I'd say go for it, but she isn't. I am so tired of looking at QH's with straight back legs. LOOK at this stallions HQ's and compare them side by side. There are no well bred horses of any breed with post legs. Usually the stallion gives ~60% and the mare gives ~40%, but sometimes the foal is a duplicate of the mare. Then, you also can have hidden genes show up that nobody sees in either parent.
Your mare is fine as a pleasure horse, but we don't need any more poorly put together horses, so please don't breed her. Just enjoy her.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
He is down hill but he has good bone. He has a dip in his back. Where the heck is Cherie? She might know a good stallion.. maybe a ranch stallion... or might suggest good lines to nick with.

Can you find anything standing that is a son or Grandson of The Ole Man? You might look at Racing Quarterhorses too...

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
BTW the dun in the other photo is back at the knee.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I don't like how none of these horses are posed perfectly square and parallel. I get you want to pose to hide the faults but I hate it.

The grey's pic is funky.. is it from the breeders website? I don't like him.. looks too halter bred to me. Needs a bigger butt and more bone esp in hind.

Trying not to say so much because you have some much better help than me and I also don't want to sound like an idiot because of that :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.