The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried doing a search on this but didn't come up with much.

My 13 (in late August) year old draft/Arab mix mare has developed white hairs all over her body. Not tons to the point where she looks to be roaning or anything, but definitely more than a few here and there. They are definitely noticeable. She has them everywhere - back, sides, haunches, neck. She is a bay with a large white blaze, white lower lip, and one white hind coronet.

Is this just aging or what?? I've been away from her for 3 months, and before that really haven't spent a ton of time with her as she has been on pasture and leased out basically for the last 4 years while I've been in college. It's possible she has been developing them for a while. I can't remember noticing white hairs to this extent on either of my past "older" horses.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
She likely carrys sabino and is just expressing it more. Sabino often will show in roaning to various degrees year to year. Lots of Arabs carry the sabino gene. Does she have facial white or white feet/legs with jagged edges?

·
Registered
14,265 Posts
I have a solid paint whose sorrel coat is filled with white hairs, he has always had this since he was a little guy. Does he have sabino as well?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She does have Percheron in her, and I do remember my black perch cross gelding (first horse) getting REALLY grey in the face, but lots of horses do that too. I don't remember body white on him, but I was just a kid. He passed when I was only about 12.

River DOES have a big white blaze and a white lip. Minimal white on legs, just a coronet and maybe a tiny spot on the other coronet if I remember right. The thought of sabino did cross my mind, except that she didn't have these hairs when she was younger, is that possible?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wares, one of the QHs in our working string is the same way. He has more hairs than River though as well as two white socks and white blaze. I always assumed he was sabino because he has so many.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Absolutely. Sabino is notorious for changeable roaning. If the facial white extends to the lower lip, its probably sabino. That is supposed to be a strong indicator of sabino on an otherwise solid horse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.