The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired an old Jack Haggis saddle. I was told that it was probably from the 40’s. The wood is solid and there are no cracks. There is some stamp on the steel. I just wondered if anybody could tell me anything about it.
F1CCADD7-38D8-42B1-8C19-BB07EBDC53AE.jpeg
E037C9AD-1AC5-4F87-B63A-23A92877E280.jpeg
F1CCADD7-38D8-42B1-8C19-BB07EBDC53AE.jpeg
We

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I don't know anything about Jack Haggis saddles but it looks a lot like my first saddle that I got when I bought my first horse in 1959. I called it an army troopers saddle and it was an old saddel then and a very comfortable saddle, I rode many, many miles in that saddle and even when i got newer saddles if I had to ride a difficult horse I used that saddle as I could stick like glue no matter how badly the horse behaved.
The leather looks dry and really needs some conditioning and if you intend to use it, it would be good idea to take it to a harness repair and have it checked out to see if it is in good enough condition to use.
also the buckle on the stirrup needs to be pulled up under the flap for riding as it will put some bruises on your leg where it is now.
sorry I can't give you any information about your saddle, I will watch to see if others have any ideas

·
Registered
55 Posts
It looks like a trooper saddle to me. If you google Haggis saddles, you should find a lot of information on them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's based on the UP saddle that the English used in cavalry. Universal Pattern 1920s? Germany had one that was similar but used pads rather than bars. The Trooper saddle which Haggis still makes is based on the UP. The descendants make the current Haggis trooper using the same cutting dies.

I bought a very old Haggis a few years ago and made new bars formed out of thermo plastic that fit my horse. I'm not sure if the bars that came with it would fit any horse properly.

The gullet was also replaced with a wider one (hand made by me).

If adjusted properly, the hammock seat is very comfortable and very secure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts