The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought my first saddle at a market, curious of the marker if anyone knows.

·
Registered
10,366 Posts
The saddle may have been made by a smaller saddle maker, perhaps even Amish.

heres a link to one of a few websites who have photos of saddle makers marks. If you don’t see the mark on the website, you might try contacting them for help.

FWIW, that looks like a comfortable saddle and it is really pretty. There’s a thread talking about what tack each of us hoard. I said I hoard saddles and the funny part of that is I have ridden bareback most of my life. I would hoard your saddle in a skinny minute:cool:

If you are going to use that saddle, because it is so old, have it gone completely over, to be sure all the tacks are secure, the tree & horn are both solid, etc.

Also, an afterthought ——- see if you can find out for sure if the leather is American cow leather. The 1970’s were a popular time for saddles made in India and also Mexico to be imported into the U.S. and sold at horse auctions — they were never sold at tack shops because the tack shops wouldn’t buy them. They were poorly made and made of poor quality leather that fell apart in the first good rain the rider got caught in.

I hope that isn’t the case with your saddle because it is really pretty:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts