Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just needed to tell someone.

Two weeks ago Hollywood got poked in the eye somehow and needed the vet out to examine. I had to give him drops and an ointment several times a day for a week which required two people - one to hold the twitch and me to administer the medicine. Well a few days after I stopped, the eye took a turn for the worse and required another vet visit. Now he needed the ointment 4 times per day.

Well, I learned how to work the twitch and give the ointment by myself until the other day when the twitch came off while I had his eye opened and he didn't move. Since then i can just walk up to him and give him his medication without so much as a halter. That's trust.

Anyway, we haven't ridden for a few weeks and today I took him out for a spin around the field, just a 20 min ride. When I dismounted and walked him into the paddock on the way to the barn, he stopped dead and wouldn't move. I got him going finally and, as is our routine, I ground tied him and took his saddle off, then slipped him out of his bridle. Typically, at this point, he knows it's over and he walks off. Not today. he just stood there like there was more to do. I actually went out and got the wheelbarrow to clean up the manure and he still hadn't moved.

Ok, then .... I went and resaddled him - remember he has no bridle or halter on. He then dropped his head to accept the bit and I took him out of the paddock. I mounted and gave him his liberty just to see what he would do. He walked back out to the pasture and we walked/trotted around the field for a while more. He just wanted more riding time!!

That's my boy.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
That's great!!! Sounds like a really nice boy.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
That's great! I would think that you having to put eye drops in his eyes 4 times a day would have made him leery of you. That just goes to show what a great bond you two have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.