Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I PROMISE I WILL STICK TO THIS! haha

If I don't I give up and will stop posting lol

I feel a new sense of empowerment with Ollie, successful ride under us, learned new information about the booger and new friends to ride with as well as a new coach addition!

So many new things for us!

I already got the first (hopefully only) fall of the year out of the way on Sunday so we can start fresh!

Today Ollie got his head in the game over trot poles, canter poles a cavaletti bounce, a single canter pole and single cavaletti!

Made a small little circular course out of and he had quiet a fun time with it!
I am hoping to really make a little jumper out of him and my main goal is to start competing him in jumpers.

So here is to this fall and then this winter and then we will see what's going on then!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10/22 Rain Rain Rain and MORE Rain + a job interview!

Wish me luck! Going in for a job interview, not on island sadly so I would still have commuting costs but I wouldn't have to drive my gas guzzler of a suv! I can drive to the ferry, walk on the boat, get on a bus when I get to seattle and then another short bus ride after that! Saves me loads of money monthly!

To drive my car 5 days a week off the island costs me close to $300 each month not including gas!

That is board three times over, that is a lotof hay I can buy with that, that is a lot of gas I can buy!, Tack.....a month of lessons, so many things!

Also it's raining- like pouring all day today and for the next few days. I am very much hoping to at least have light rain fall at some point so I can ride!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10/23

Rain has escalated to HAIL today and a supposed thunder storm that never happened but this weather was just so nasty!

So no riding sadly but a good grooming snuggles and some extra hay <3

Tomorrow I am hoping to get out for a quick 20 min hack and then out to
seattle to get my hair done (birthday present from my wonderful mother)

Then chaperoning a youth event back home

So excited to get my hair done. But I also need to get hay UGH That means I have to clean out my car! boy oh boy!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy crap busy day 10/24

WOW so my amazing mother got me a early birthday present of a spa day and getting my hair all done!

Called first thing to get an apt today and sure enough I AM IN! whoo!

I have to go pick up a couple bales of hay for the beasty - he has already been lightly lunged as he is not getting 3 whole days off! He was a happy boy!

My appointments will keep me busy ALL afternoon and then a quick bus and ferry ride home to take care of the pony change clothes and Ill be all set to go chaperon a VARSA event until 1am!:wink:

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oct 26th STORMY

ugh this weather is too much! Although its stopped pouring for the moment. Huge wind storm last night!

Got the date for jump day - Nov 15th 9AM and working int two divisions - trot poles/18'' then moving up to 2'2'6 division and see how that goes! Im hoping my friend who takes great pics will be there!

Super cute picture of my boyfriend and I when we where carving pumpkins last night and then this morning - Ollie making a mad dash fro his pasture ...hPPY BOY!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here Comes the Sun 10/26

Well the sun came out and I was able to throw Oliver out on the lung and get some work out of him! I MUST GET A LUNGE WHIP haha

He was a good boy and we worked for about 30 minutes. Nothing special but transitions and just getting him up and moving forward. Hoping I will be able to do that again tomorrow!

He scored two bags of carrots at the store tonight :)

I upped his hay to 2 flakes AM and PM and will be picking up some BP here soon to add into his grain.

The wind storm last night was crazy and had branches all over his paddock and glad Chris came with me this morning case there was a 12 fir branch that was about 8-10 inches thick that he had to pull out of the way to let him out of the paddock.

So we have to fun November dates! Jump day at the park on the 15th and 1st lesson with a new coach at the end of of the month! Cant wait!
On to the cute pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good boy! Straightness achieved! 10/27

Such a good da, started out with a 20 minute lung warm up and we really got in the rhythm of things. He was so in tune to my body language and voice commands. I used my dressage whip and that was better then nothing - the sound of it seemed to help!

Then I got on and worked my body and relaxing my shoulers into my hands, without breaking my wrists. did lots of 15 - 10 meter walk cricles slowly- asking him to keep his shoulders coming around while stepping under and staying on my outside rein and off my inside leg while I sat tall and around my turn and planned for a trot trantition out of it and things went very very well.

With the canter we really had to do a lot of canter...I was not going to let him go down tense and was committed to him softening and supplying his top line from pushing from behind - no bracing allowed if we where to trot and to come out correctly and not racing and braced all over the place. Again this went well but like I said it was a lot of work in the canter and I had to really focus on looking over my right shoulder on the left lead and fallowing with my arms and sitting deep yet fallow in a light manner.

Over all I feel like it was a good day for both of us and hope again tomorrow to fallow the today's ride. Then head up to the park Wednesday and have my boyfriend watch us go over poles and smaller 18'' cross rails.:wink:

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
11/1/14

So I didn't get to ride today because I was simply so out of it and tired.

Yesterday though - Halloween, I had an amazing ride up at the horse park. Worked on our lead departures to and from trot and he was so good.

A little hot as I hadn't let him out in the pasture due to the crazy downpours we where having, so slick in the pasture! The letter cones that should have been up right where knocked down and of course they where so scary!

Really hoping to start working on lateral work before my lesson at the end of the month! UGH

I think my arms are relaxing and loosening up!

14 days until our jump day!
3 weeks until our lesson!
6 almost 5 now days until my BIRTHDAY!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rainy Ride 11/3/2014

Today was a productive day!

My friend has a few horses that always need to be ridden and so we figure that throughout the week we will meet up at either one of the barns her client horses are at or her personal horses are at and ride together!

SO today we rode with Pip - a 5 year old spicy and very fun Connemara mare!

I rode 10 minutes down the rode to her clients barn and we went on a trail ride through Misty Isle and up to the horse park where we worked for 25 minutes.

I realized I need to buy spurs again as I cant find mine and my awesome nunn-finer rubber spur straps! :-( Someone was very sluggish but still good.

Again worked on canter departs in and out of the trot, some stretchy trot circle and had some fabulous walk to trot transitions!

My arms where soft and moving with him, my leg was wrapped around and I slipped my outside left back just a little in the walk and BAM canter all of a sudden, was not the pretties transition but I was not asking for it, just re adjusting myself and did so a little to much I guess, I had to stop myself from getting after him and just go with it cause he was really listening to my body and trying to do what it was asking and had a couple very nice canter 20 meter circles!

Such a very very good boy!

Here is a cute picture of the two kiddos together!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New Exercise for tomorrow's jumping (POLE WORK)

I have been looking on youtube trying to find some inspiration for tomorrows ride on Ollie and how I can work on myself and keeping it simple for Ollie since we are still just starting back into jumping so this will really help him stay with me, listen and use his mind and body.

This exercise gives me an option to always circle and work on rhythm and tempo - relaxation, forwardness, light but on the contact.

Once we have that we can add in the two cavaletti with cantering, trotting out and cantering in again.

Again I can work on my canter departures in and out of trot and get a little more firm.

Here is the video for this exercise! ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd5eiMHy2EE&spfreload=1

Second exercise looks like a lot of fun as well...I am not sure if we will have enough poles to work with but hopefully so!!

In this exercise we can work straightness again, soft and forward, tempo and rhythm. We can also play with our strides in shortening and lengthening, going left or right or circle. Again I can halt, rein back if needed. Lots of room, lots of options.

Here is the video for this exercise ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ODM3tVWV5M

I will have both of these hopefully set up in our large outdoor arena up at the horse park and really hope that these really help us.

My goal is for Ollie to end calm, have even a strong rhythm and tempo. To keep my body doing nothing but support him and of course have fun!

We shall see how this goes!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nov 5th - review from yesterday.

Yesterday was great, very cold but great!

Ollie and i rode up to the horse park and my wonderful boyfriend met me there to set up poles and what not. Then my friend joined us and we played with one of the exercises I had found, next time I hope to try the other exercise but there are not enough cavaleti :( Guess it is really time for me to make my own!

At the end we had a very hard time getting the left lead so I decided to end on a easier note and good one by just trotting through it and he then picked up his left lead at the end all on his own. SUCH A GOOD TRYING BOY!

I was able to get a couple videos and I will also post them.

So with this work yesterday we got home and poor Ollie's find end was so tired and sore. his left hind. it was high up and I gave him a good 15 minute rub down with sore no more and he was so happy!! I then cold hosed his legs for 10 minutes just to be on the safe side.

I also found out the mileage on our trips to the park and round trip we are riding 5 miles! Not including the 30-45 minutes while in the arena. So no more two days in a row up to the horse park until we are more fit for this! No wonder he was sore - poor boy! :cry:

The exercise was great for Ollie, we started with just trotting over the poles and then trotting the whole thing both ways and then cantering in - trotting the poles and cantering again to the ending cavaletti.

We also did some work on our leads when warming up! I got one walk to canter clean departure and WOW..he was excited he did it on his own and wanted to do it again and again but had himself so worked up he wouldn't settle into the walk. So the walk halt walk trot trot halt transitions started and I slipped in a que to canter from walk when he wasn't expecting it and bam canter on the correct lead! Again so excited so we walk and told him how smart he was and got sugar! Then went into the pole work.

In the arena it was super wet from the rain and so we went through some big puddles....this he loved! He was lifting his front end, sitting and making big splashes that where coming up and hitting me in the face - lots of fun for both of us!

All in all a very good day! I was going to ride lightly today to help his hind end but the downpour started so it's his day off now.

Here are the videos, some pictures and hopefully I can have a short hack out tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUBwQ13MTo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLbzvPOrFjI

Attachments

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nov. 6th 2014 I might get blown away into the ocean

Well it's SUPER WINDY, SUPER COLD, SUPER WET .....so that ride I was hoping to get in simply wont be happening today :cry: UGH

I will be going over and massaging the rear end of the boy, bringing him hot mash and a good hand walk/grazing time tonight!

Today I got his new quarter sheet in the mail and will try it on him to see if it fits! PLEASE! lol

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's my birthday! 8 days until Jump Day

Well today is my birthday and I plan on riding ollie here in a hour or so...maybe still havent deicded I am so low energy today BUT THE SUN IS OUT...and jump day is coming up!

I am going to start working on weekly goals....Here it goes.

This week... from the 7th-14th

Ride tomorrow the 8th Sat

Ride or lunge on the 9th Sun

Ride or lunge 10th mon

Out of town 11th/12th Day's off TUES/WEDS

Ride or lunge 13th Thurs

Day off Friday

Saturday JUMP DAY

Today I picked up two more compressed bales of hay for $36.90
YAY

Anyhoooooo

yah lol

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good Birthday - Good Ride!

So wound up going out and hoping on the boy and riding down to the horse park!
He was so good, we warmed up on the way and when we got into the arena we worked on the same old stuff, I really was able to tell how relaxed I was in the tack today, and he was very much ready to go! Even better canter transitions then earlier in the week, and downward to trot!! We are able to stay straight most of the time now!

We had a huge spook but worked through it and he was very good about coming back to me and I was able to just let it go and ride on but be mentally prepared for him to do it again. He didn't, he listened and really trusted me.

We used our new fleece quarter sheet for the ride there and back and sure glad we did cause it was chilly and even chillier on the way back home as the sun was going down!!! BR!

I got a message from the coach who I am doing life goal setting sessions with three times a month asking if I was available to work at her barn in exchange for weekly lessons. So now I have the chance to get 2 lessons a week from two different coaches!!! WAY COOL! If it works out hopefully this fall and winter will be even better for Ollie and I.

So tomorrow after my morning barn job I will be hacking Ollie out again but not to the park but along the trails in a loop back to the barn. Then out with the boyfriend to celebrate my birthday together as well as pick up my mom from her trip in Hawaii!! She was way to sweet and hid presents around the house for me, texted me where to find one every other day! way to fun!!

So happy!!!!!!!!!!

I have some cute pictures to share as well!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha yes I only have one crappy one so far, maybe today or tomorrow I will get some better ones! BUT I DO HAVE videos and pictures of him be silly in the pasture yesterday with the warm sunshine we got after a couple weeks of grey and damp!! He was FULL OF IT! I took his blankets off and he was just ripping around and bucking and talking, having the best time ever!!

Just talked to my new coach and I start Tuesday Lessons next week (I am out of town this Tuesday) I am so excited!!!!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A summer day in a rainy city makes for a THRILLED boy!

Here are some pictures of Oliver feeling FANTASTIC with the sunny weather yesterday!

videos shortly

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.