The Horse Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Is there any equipment I should have, or useful if I did have with me for the clinic? Snaffle, macate reins, flag?

·
Registered
575 Posts
My husband wanted to surprise me for Christmas to do the clinic in Maine in September 2014.. and it was ALREADY FULL! Almost a year in advance!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
beats 1295 for Craig Cameron, 1200 for Chris Cox, 2000 for Clinton Anderson ( with a 20 page application, no less), and God forbid 3,200 for Pat Parelli.
Of those you listed I think Chris cox is the only one that would interest me. However at those prices that isn't going to happen either. :shock:

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I would love to go to one of his clinics, but I'd rather pay the money to sit in my saddle rather than sit my bony butt on a bench for 3 hours LOL.

Maybe someday when he'll be within driving distance from me.

I wonder what a person has to do to sponsor a clinic for him :think:.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would love to go to one of his clinics, but I'd rather pay the money to sit in my saddle rather than sit my bony butt on a bench for 3 hours LOL.

Maybe someday when he'll be within driving distance from me.

I wonder what a person has to do to sponsor a clinic for him :think:.
My trainer sponsors his clinics, I can ask and find out!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: smrobs

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I appreciate that, but I found what I was looking for by browsing around on his site. Apparently, I'd have to go and participate at a clinic and meet Buck first before he'd talk to me about sponsoring one.

Of course, this would be something that would likely happen a couple of years down the road as I'd also have to rent an arena for the event and all that jazz LOL.

Sure would be nice to have one within driving distance of me though so I could take a horse and have some fun and learn some new stuff...or refresh some old stuff :D.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I can't help but if you don't do lots of videos and feedback on here I'll be soooooo angry with you!!!!
Two of my friends went to his clinic here in MI last year and they said he doesn't allow any pictures taking or videoing of the clinic. I was really hoping they would video it for me, but no such luck.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm on day 2 of auditing and (photographing) a Buck Clinic here in NZ.
It's not really my bag but I know most of the participants worship at the alter of Buck.
Like most trainers, some things he says are great and a lot of things are so long winded I get lost in the middle of it and find myself wondering why sheep don't shrink in the warm rain.
Here's a couple of priceless photographs you might enjoy from yesterday's clinic. I get the feeling the horse is trying to interpret Buck-speak for all the horses in the clinic... ;-)

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm on day 2 of auditing and (photographing) a Buck Clinic here in NZ.
It's not really my bag but I know most of the participants worship at the alter of Buck.
Like most trainers, some things he says are great and a lot of things are so long winded I get lost in the middle of it and find myself wondering why sheep don't shrink in the warm rain.
Here's a couple of priceless photographs you might enjoy from yesterday's clinic. I get the feeling the horse is trying to interpret Buck-speak for all the horses in the clinic... ;-)

View attachment 354993

View attachment 355001
Very cool and funny Merlot. Thank you.

I am not a 'worshiper', but I definitely respect him a lot. I can relate with him on so many levels and say I get it....not just with horses. I am a little scared that I will be disappointed in person, but I will never know if I don't get in there and try.

You were allowed to take pictures then?

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Is there any equipment I should have, or useful if I did have with me for the clinic? Snaffle, macate reins, flag?
I have not attended his clinic but I should think you need to set yourself up just the way you would if you went to a show. So, you would want grooming equipment to start with, feed/water, maybe a light sheet to keep dust off once your horse is cleaned up), rope halter with lead (I suspect the 11' one would do; have a 15' along as well just in case), protective boots (if you use them), some sort of carrot stick/buggy whip just in case (from the little bit I've seen of him he tends to use his lead line more than his stick), a plastic bag and duck tape just in case, saddle blanket/small tarp in case there is any sacking out to do, your usual riding equipment (if you use a curb bit bring a snaffle). Don't forget yourself - appropriate footwear, layered clothing to adjust to the weather of the day, helmet, gloves.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Supposedly, from what I read on his website, all participants are supposed to have a snaffle with mecate rein set and some sort of flag stick as well.

I'm not sure I agree with that, but I suppose I can understand why he wants everyone to have the same equipment so he doesn't have to take the time to specialize his instructions for anyone riding in a curb or a bitless.

Copied directly from his website:

What to take to a clinic: As a class participant, you will need the following: A 3/8 or 5/8 width egg-butt snaffle bit, mecate-style reins set-up, a training flag and a rope halter with a 12 foot lead. If you are new to the mecate-style reins and have the equipment, Buck's assistant can usually help you set it up before the class.

As a spectator: Check with the seating at each clinic venue to see what is provided. Many spectators prefer to bring their own folding chairs for the best viewing location. Bring food, water, hat, sunscreen, coat or anything that will keep you comfortable in the outdoors for a full day.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Supposedly, from what I read on his website, all participants are supposed to have a snaffle with mecate rein set and some sort of flag stick as well.

I'm not sure I agree with that, but I suppose I can understand why he wants everyone to have the same equipment so he doesn't have to take the time to specialize his instructions for anyone riding in a curb or a bitless.

Copied directly from his website:
Yeah, I can understand too about having the same equipment since it is a certain 'type' of training. I guess that would be like me using mecate reins and a curb bit to go to a clinic where they trained in a dressage style. I'm guessing that other disciplines kept their usual bridle etc. since it was so different from what they usually use. Idk.

I'm going to use what it says to be compliant. I did find one of my old sweet iron single jointed eggbutt snaffles. I have the rope halter and the 12' tied lead rope. I got rid of my mecate reins, so I'll buy so inexpensive ones. My reins have the thick slobber straps, they are just not mecate..they are the John Lyons reins...that I love btw. The flag I have doesn't only attach at the corner like his....

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm going to audit the one in April in Red Bluff. Can't wait. It's a 2 hour drive for me so not bad. I'm just not sure how many days I want to go and watch. Is one day enough?? My trainer uses his techniques. I have a 15 year old horse who has some respect issues and I've been ground working him now. When she ground works him, she makes it look SO EASY and he is good about most of the stuff. He's getting better with me but she tells me, "I can't do all the work for you because YOU are the one that needs that relationship with him. He HAS to respond with you working him." But she shows me what to do and how to do it. I'm still kind of clumsy tho.
He's good with moving his hindquarters but shoulders... he's still pretty sticky.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm going to audit the one in April in Red Bluff. Can't wait. It's a 2 hour drive for me so not bad.
I'm going to be riding at the clinic in Red Bluff, and it's about a 45 minute drive for me though
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm going to audit the one in April in Red Bluff. Can't wait. It's a 2 hour drive for me so not bad.
I'm going to be riding at the clinic in Red Bluff, and it's about a 45 minute drive for me though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
You know, I guess I don't understand the fad with the yacht rope mecate rein sets that are so popular with all the trainers these days. Those reins are so darn heavy and on the rare occasion I used one, I could feel a marked difference in the balance of the bit just with my hands...so I know the horse could feel it in his mouth. The near side that had the lead coming out of it always felt so much heavier than the off side and I hated that feeling.

The tradition of horsehair mecate ropes makes sense because those are incredibly light so there is hardly a difference in the balance at all.

BUT, I don't like horsehair reins (my hands are weenies and I won't wear gloves), so that's why I always stick with leather split reins. They seem much handier and more practical to me. However, I don't really follow the traditional vaquero bridle horse training methods either LOL.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't like using slobber straps. They just felt heavy and in the way. I had one trainer that used them and had me ride with them and I just didn't like it.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts