The Horse Forum banner

841 - 860 of 901 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Usually people admire my horse from a distance but if they ask to pet her, I always say yes. April loves the attention. Doesn't matter how spooky she's been on a ride, she'll always stand perfectly still if a stranger is loving on her. One time someone asked if her baby could meet her, and you wouldn't believe how gently she touched her muzzle to that baby's outstretched hand. A loud jeep drove right behind her butt and and she didn't even flick an ear, she was so blissfully distracted by the kid.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Went riding Saturday not a very long ride though. Ice had shoes/pads pulled off Thursday because of the snow. Didn't realize dirt road would totally melt off.

Was a bit ouchy on dirt road so let him ride edge of it softer footing. Only walked him got about a 1/3 of a mile. He was obviously not liking his bare feet.

So I got off an lead him back to power line,daughter got off an lead her horse also. Then got back on to ride rest of the way home. So only riding in yard till Tuesday. Farrier going to put his front shoes/pads back on.

Going to warm back up into 40s so snow will disappear. Yay😊 A few pictures of our failed ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
That's some serious snow @rambo99. Sorry Ice was sore on the road, hope the farrier can help.

We fortunately have no snow yet. Cold rain here today, but the weekend was good for riding. As has become our routine, did a short solo ride Saturday and a longer ride with our riding buddy Sunday. We had to wait until noon to ride on Sunday so temps would be above freezing, but the sun was so strong it felt really nice.

Solo Saturday:

Sunday:

Total 2020 miles: 462.12 Inching closer to our 500 mile goal!

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Finally done with potatoes and am catching up with life!! The whole story is in my journal.

What feels like a million years ago now, but was actually Sept 30th, I got some saddle time. I started with Phin:

Next was Iggy:

Sunday, October 4th, I got Iggy out again:

2020 mileage
9/30 phin 7.52 miles 1368 ft climb 5.1 mph 48F 2023.73 total miles
9/30 iggy 9.02 miles 1690 ft climb 5.5 mph 52F 2032.75 total miles
10/4 iggy 12.17 miles 2457 ft climb 5.0 mph 65F 2044.92 total miles

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
On Thursday, October 8th, DH and I loaded up Phin and headed down to Fair Hill, MD for a competition. The whole story is in my journal.

Somehow, it was very fitting that I surpassed my all time yearly mileage record on trail here!

2020 mileage
10/9 phin 1.7 miles 177 ft climb 3.9 mph 60F 2046.62 total miles
10/10 phin 90.96 miles 10548 ft climb 6.2 mph 57F 2137.58 total miles

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
We had a lovely Horse Forum meet-up at Black Horse Resort last weekend. @4horses, @LoriF, and @mslady254, and I met on Saturday. 4horses and I camped there for 5 days and 4 nights. The trails were super nice, and we'd had some rain, so not dusty. The riding was really fun. They have a swimming pool there and we spent many hours enjoying the pool.

What was not so fun was the heat! Real feel was in the 90's every day. The nights were pleasant and cool for sleeping, but it was surely hot for riding. The resort is so spread out that we had long walks to get to our horses, who were stabled in nice pens near water spigots. We surely did enjoy the screened room next to the pool as the mosquitoes were horrendous.

Every night, the riding club planned fun activities like a pasta night, a movie night with ice cream floats and popcorn, and a steak dinner. Because covid is so wide-spread in Florida, and Ocala is especially hard hit, we waited until everyone had gotten their food, then we got our food and took it back to our spread-out camp.

One day, I trailered our two horses and two young folks to Lake Mary so the girls could swim the horses. Our old camping place, Doe Lake, decided to close to horses and concentrate on just hosting weddings. The kids missed getting to swim the horses. They had a lot of fun.

We also had a costume contest which was a big hit. We got a lot of photos from 5 days of fun, but here is a sample of photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Here are more photos of great times. I brought my daughter's horse Windy, who was just amazing. I was so proud of her. And my beloved Chorro for my daughter's friend to ride. 4horses brought Paris, a kill-pen treasure, who could not have done any better. Mslady254 rode Windy and I rode Chorro on a super fun quiet evening ride . . . but we were having such a good time that we forgot to get pictures of all 4 of us.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
It makes me so happy to see your Florida meet-ups. You all seem to have so much fun!

About as far away as you can get from 90*F and swimming in Florida, I can share some pictures from snowy Vermont :wink: I got in a couple of rides earlier in the week, before the snow came. This was Thursday:

And this was the same place in the road Saturday, after we got our first snow.

It was definitely pretty to look at, but not deep anywhere so we had a nice 7.5 mile ride with our riding buddy yesterday. The footing in the woods was a little sketchy, mostly because it's impossible to tell how deep the leaves are and so every now and then the horses would sink down into a hole or ditch. And the wet leaves over rocks made some of the steeper downhills slick. So we mostly walked and enjoyed the scenery.

Weirdly, it's supposed to go back up to 55*F/13*C later this week, so the snow will all be gone, and our goal is a couple of longer rides at the end of the week. It's the time of year when we really try to take advantage of every warm, sunny day.

Total 2020 miles: 473.1

·
Registered
368 Posts
Forgot to touch base here so i'll do so briefly:

The trail was much better this time around and the weather was perfect for it! I forgot to put my tracker on, and I wish I had as we got turned around many times. There was a lot of leaf litter obscuring the paths. We went up and down some pretty interesting hills, through narrow paths and winding through the forests to see if we could find the main trail again. I certainly didn't mind as it was a private trail (no real time restraint).

oh and although it's a day after halloween I should mention... the road and woods around this area (sweet hollow) are supposedly extremely haunted. Driving through it was a bit creepy i'll admit. But the trail was perfect!

I don't get the greatest pictures so please bear with me haha

Attachments

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Still more catch up. The whole story is in my journal.

On Sunday Oct 11, I got Iggy out:

On Thursday, October 15th, I started with taking Iggy:

Next up was Link solo:

Last, I got George out:

2020 mileage
10/11 iggy 10.11 miles 1568 ft climb 5.6 mph 52F 2147.69 total miles
10/15 iggy 6.81 miles 1322 ft climb 4.8 mph 55F 2154.50 total miles
10/15 link 4.38 miles 502 ft climb 3.4 mph 68F 2158.88 total miles
10/15 george 6.05 miles 778 ft climb 6.1 mph 70F 2164.93 total miles

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The weather finally cooperated, after missing 2 weekends of riding got to get out on Saturday. High wind warnings were issued but friend and I rode at a park that was in the low lands so not too bad! It was supposed to be near 60 but it was a cool 60 if that! Unfortunately, I paid for the ride on Saturday with a great deal of pain on Sunday. Hip replacement Nov 18 - I am hoping to ride a couple more times before then but we will see! We are due to have extremely warm weather this coming week (think 60's to near 70) and then crash the following week. So I want to ride while I can!

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
This time our Horse Forum friends, @4horses, and @LoriF met at Princess Place near St. Augustine for 4 days and 3 nights of fun camping. Our weather was ideal, although the last day was a bit hot. The nights were cool and pleasant for sleeping.

The first day 4horses and I rode on the St. Augustine beach for 3 hours including a mile of galloping on the beach. That was pretty exciting. Although I didn't get any beach photos, I will include a few from past camping trips with the same horses and riders just for fun. The beach doesn't change much, and neither do we.

The next day we rode all over the trails at Princess Place, and the next day LoriF and I showed 4horses the trail (or she showed us a different way because she had a map, but we got there) to a land bridge over highway 75 and then fun trails around the Agricultural Museum.

We sat around the campfire at night, shooting the breeze and roasting marshmallows. The skeeters were pretty bad, but we got along OK.

The last day, we thought we'd do a sort of short ride, pack up, and go, but we were having too much fun, so it turned into a long ride. We had planned to go back to the beach, but the tides were wrong.

Here are some photos of this year's rides and a few from other years.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
I have been doing a lot of trail rides. I just haven't gotten around to posting about them. (I telework and am setting my own hours which seem to include weekends, so I don't feel guilty.) Every day, Monday - Friday this week, was beautiful! Some of the days were even a bit too hot. For anyone who doesn't know my animals, Dillon has the bad hair with the white in his mane. Princess is the black Arab mare. And Prissy is my border collie.

I alternated riding the horses this week. Princess got three rides and Dillon got two. I had him on schedule to go three days, but he got so hot on Wednesday, that I gave Princess an extra day. She is less hairy and a bit more resilient.

My rides are between 2.9 and 3.4 miles. That is so that I can stay on private property and hopefully avoid getting shot. Deer season is going full force. There are so many people out this weekend, that I am taking the weekend off.

It has been a while since I posted. My goal for the year is 300 miles. I am up to 293.36 miles. If the weather is good, I will reach my goal next week. I am not going to set a higher goal; I will call the extra bonus points.

I will post some ride pictures. The random tree pictures are about the best color that I think we will get this fall. 70 degree afternoons help a bit with the pain of not having brilliant fall leaves.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Still playing catch up. The whole story is in my journal.

October 25th, DH and I got George and Link out:

October 31st, DH and I got George and Link out again:

2020 mileage
10/25 link 9.82 miles 1490 ft climb 3.9 mph 38F 2174.75 total miles
10/31 link 9.51 miles 1450 ft climb 4.2 mph 34F 2184.26 total miles

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Our unusual weather continued through the weekend, with temps up to 70*F/21*C. Our wooly mammoths are not tolerating it all that well, and even just going for a brisk walk gets them really lathered up with thick, foamy sweat. So, tried to take it easy, but still managed to ride ~15 miles between Saturday and Sunday. It's weird to see such a barren landscape but be out riding in a t-shirt!

Feeling pretty good about getting to the 500 mile goal- hopefully this week!
Total 2020 miles: 488.3

841 - 860 of 901 Posts