The Horse Forum banner

861 - 880 of 914 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Got my last ride of the season in on Saturday. Like so many others NW IL is having some weirdly warm weather. The park was overly crowded and parking was hard to find. 2 friends and I car pooled (we met up at one friends and loaded horses into her trailer) and met another friend at the park. As we were unloading we were watching as a whole bunch of horses were acting up and even saw a rider become separated from his horse - whether by choice or not we were not sure. We could not see what the commotion was as it was at the first bend and water crossing just as you leave the parking area (you take a sharp curve and immediately cross a creek) A rider came galloping up the hill toward our trailer and managed to get her horse stopped and she jumped off. We asked what the commotion was and she said camels. We were like CAMELS? Yep- it seems that someone brought 2 camels to the park to ride the horse trails. The commotion at the crossing was the camels not really wanting to enter the cold water and horses not really wanting to ride by the camels! Friends and I decided to stay put until said camels were back that their trailer. We watched as they slowly made their way to their parking area with horses and riders parting like the red sea before them. Some horses did not seem to mind and others lost their head! I was sure Tillie would be in the lost their head category so we opted to stay until they were out of site. The high energy in the parking area had all 4 horses amped up. We hit the trails at record speed. In no time the horses were wet with sweat in the 75 degree heat - eventually they all slowed down. We had a great ride and managed again to avoid the camels as we got back to the parking area. The horses were hot and sweaty and ready to be done. I have to admit I really felt sorry for the camels. Most horses were extremely agitated at their presence and I am sure the camels had to sense the horses fear. They were sure cute but their Bawling really sent the horses over the edge. I was extremely thankful our parking area was so far away from them. No pictures - I needed my hands to steer and control my horse!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
@egrogan I wish I were making it up. And I wish I had pictures. For the life of me I cannot imaging why a person would bring camels (there were 2) to a horse park to ride - especially on a really great day in November. There had to be at least 100 trucks and trailers at the park. Horses were lunging and swerving everywhere.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
I agree with @lb27312 that I didn't think anything could be more scary than the savage dogs @knightrider deals with.. but @carshon and the camels takes the cake. Nope nope nope!!!

I would maybe, MAYBE have seen what happened with Phin in hand from a good distance.. but more likely I would have just put him back in the trailer and gone somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
@carshon, camels??!! I agree, you get the prize for the most exciting trail ride!

Today I called animal control since they never notified me, to see if anything was done about the biting Anatolian shepherds. They said the dogs were now being kept up, and it would be safe to ride. Tomorrow my neighbor and I plan to ride to the property next to the Anatolians and see if they come down their driveway. We often ride that far with the girls (young adults now, only one teen left) and turn around when we hear the dogs barking. If the dogs come out and after us, we plan to hurry back into the planted pines, meanwhile taking a picture, (if I can be brave enough--it was pretty harrowing getting bucked off and then having Windy injured on the road) so that we can report the dogs are still going after horses . . . or not, if they don't come down the driveway.

I am really excited about getting back on those trails again. They were so pretty and fun. And just for fun, a picture of one of the trails I haven't been able to access since I got bucked off.

October stats:
55.75 hours
183.975 miles
Year to date: 628.5 hours
2074.05 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Carshon. Too bad you didn't take pictures. I once saw a guy behind a motel walking his tiger, just as if were walking a dog, on a leash. The tiger was about half the size of a full grown one. I said to myself, "No one is going to believe this!" But I didn't have a camera with me. That was before everyone had a camera in their cell phone.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Just trying out the new forum from my phone. Had a very warm ride this morning-went 6.5 miles around 8am and my horse looked like she had just run the Kentucky Derby. Still around 70*F/21*C and the hairy beast was drenched after a few long stretches of trot (and her begging for a canter in our “canter spot”). Thought you all might appreciate the sound of our bells while trotting along
It was a beautiful day for sure, but this weather just feels wrong!

Total 2020 miles: 494.6

tantalizingly close to our goal!!

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Oops not sure why the picture is HUGE but it was definitely much easier to post a pic from the phone than the previous version. I think it gave me an option to make it a smaller picture so will try that next time.
I like the bigger pic, personally. Saves me from having to click on it to enlarge it.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Still more catch up.. also will be interesting to see how this works (or doesn't) with the new forum changes. The whole story is in my journal.

Last Wednesday, I got some saddle time. I started with Link:

Then I got George out:

2020 mileage
11/4link5.09 miles499 ft climb4.1 mph48F2189.35 total miles
11/4george7.09 miles853 ft climb4.3 mph58F2196.44 total miles

🐎

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Last week had great weather and no snow. Rode every day had some great rides. Did some long rides saw lots of deer.

Put on some miles in a week's time 180 miles lots of hours in the saddle. Brings total miles to date 2,180 most miles ever done. Lots of saddle time this year. Can still ride so if all goes well ,might make 2,300 for the year 2020.

Between working and keeping up with stuff at home. Finally got the new forum format figured out. Hate change an struggling with depression, made it way worse.

There's light at the end of the dark tunnel. Got back on my horse today a went for a ride. Reading on here about all the rides and beautiful pictures, brightened my outlook. Picture of sunset yesterday.

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
I try to alternate between Princess and Dillon. I have cut back a little bit on Dillon because he is too fat and hairy and it will be cool pretty soon. I had a goal set for 300 miles. I met that on while riding Dillon on Thursday. I made it to 303.16 Friday when I rode Princess.

They have both been being so amazingly good lately. They both do (usually) flawless walk or even halt to canter transitions. They are good kids.

I am not riding on the weekends because there are so many deer hunters. I ride on private property except for a short dirt road to get there.

Something fun I did this week. There was a log down. I cantered Dillon up to it and he hopped right over it. The next day, I did the same with the Princess. I could have sworn somebody raised that log quite a bit. My neurologist would be mortified and I don't care.

Our weather is just starting to get nice!

November second week 1.JPG
November second week 2.JPG
November second week 3.JPG
November second week 4.JPG
November second week 5.JPG
November second week 6.JPG

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Got some saddle time this week! The whole story is in my journal.

On Tuesday, I got Link out. We rode with Amish for the first time:

Yesterday, I got Link out alone:

2020 mileage
11/10link8.08 miles830 ft climb3.7 mph75F2228.29 total miles
11/14link7.31 miles1037 ft climb4.4 mph40F2235.60 total miles
🐎

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Congrats, @Celeste! We hit our goal this weekend too. Although nowhere near the "big horses"- @rambo99, @knightrider , & @phantomhorse13 . 😉 But I'm still feeling very satisfied to have nearly doubled my miles from last year, with a few more weeks of decent weather to go this year! I'm trying to decide just how big to set my goal for next year. But don't want to get too far ahead of myself, we have a long winter ahead of us.

Anyway, it was fitting we rode mile 500 with our weekly riding buddies yesterday. Rifle season started yesterday, so we're sticking to the roads and open spaces for at least the next couple of weeks

And today we had a spectacular solo ride, even though there was a cold wind blowing in our faces the whole ride- the kind of ride that makes your eyes water and leaves your cheeks burning hot long after you've been inside. But Fizz was really happy and eager, and it made it a really fun ride.

Total 2020 miles: 505.2
We need the old "happy dance" icon back 🎉

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
WHY??? Does my photo say, "Sensitive content. Not recommended for those under 18" It's a picture of a trail with horse ears. What makes that sensitive content? How many of you did not click on it because you didn't want to see something nasty? How many of you did because you were curious? I am certainly baffled.

861 - 880 of 914 Posts