The Horse Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Kentucky Oaks
Post time: 5:51 p.m. Friday at Churchill Downs. Purse: $1.25 million. Grade: 1. Distance: 1 1/8 miles. TV: NBC Sports Network.

Post, horse, trainer, jockey, odds

1. Pauline's Pearl, Steve Asmussen, Ricardo Santana Jr., 20-1

2. Maracuja, Rob Atras, Kendrick Carmouche, 20-1

3. Clairiere, Steve Asmussen, Tyler Gaffalione, 5-1

4. Crazy Beautiful, Kenny McPeek, Jose Ortiz, 15-1

5. Pass the Champagne, George Weaver, Javier Castellano, 15-1

6. Travel Column, Brad Cox, Florent Geroux, 3-1

7. Ava's Grace, Robertino Diodoro, David Cohen, 50-1

8. Moraz, Michael McCarthy, Flavien Prat, 30-1

9. Coach, Brad Cox, Luis Saez, 50-1

10. Malathaat, Todd Pletcher, John Velazquez, 5-2

11. Will's Secret, Dallas Stewart, Jon Court, 30-1

12. Search Results, Chad Brown, Irad Ortiz Jr., 3-1

13. Competitive Speed, Javier Gonzalez, Chris Landeros, 50-1

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Poor Soup and Sandwich, got post 19

Post position, horse, trainer, jockey, morning-line odds

1. Known Agenda, Todd Pletcher, Irad Ortiz Jr., 6-1

2. Like the King, Wesley Ward, Drayden Van ****, 50-1

3. Brooklyn Strong, Daniel Velazquez, Umberto Rispoli, 50-1

4. Keepmeinmind, Robertino Diodoro, David Cohen, 50-1

5. Sainthood, Todd Pletcher, Corey Lanerie, 50-1

6. O Besos, Greg Foley, Marcelino Pedroza, 20-1

7. Mandaloun, Brad Cox, Florent Geroux, 15-1

8. Medina Spirit, Bob Baffert, John Velazquez, 15-1

9. Hot Rod Charlie, Doug O'Neill, Flavien Prat, 8-1

10. Midnight Bourbon, Steve Asmussen, Mike Smith, 20-1

11. Dynamic One, Todd Pletcher, Jose Ortiz, 20-1

12. Helium, Mark Casse, Julien Leparoux, 50-1

13. Hidden Stash, Vicki Oliver, Rafael Bejarano, 50-1

14. Essential Quality, Brad Cox, Luis Saez, 2-1

15. Rock Your World, John Sadler, Joel Rosario, 5-1

16. King Fury, Kenny McPeek, Brian Hernandez Jr., 20-1

17. Highly Motivated, Chad Brown, Javier Castellano, 10-1

18. Super Stock, Steve Asmussen, Ricardo Santana Jr., 30-1

19. Soup and Sandwich, Mark Casse, Tyler Gaffalione, 30-1

20. Bourbonic, Todd Pletcher, Kendrick Carmouche, 30-1

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Poor Soup and Sandwich, got post 19
Well if he starts in the Derby like he did in that breeze, the jockey may be glad to have that outside post to keep from getting in trouble clipping heels, etc.

What are your predictions for the Oaks? How about your Derby pick(s)? And I would love to hear why.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I am still working on selections. Usually what I do is after the draw, cut the field in half and then later cut that 10 down to 5 users. I already know Essential Quality will be the horse that will be key for wheels.

Already thinking the 16 King Fury will this years "wise guy" horse. That rarely works out.

As for Soup and Sandwich, if he doesn't hit the board, I see skip Preakness and get ready for Belmont.

Will have Oaks up before Friday as well.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Well I always pick one long shot to root for and I think I'll go with Hidden Stash since 1) he's my favorite color 2) I like his name and 3) I'd like to see a female trainer do good.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Kentucky Oaks thoughts and selections.

The 7 should break in top and try to take them all the way around. To far against to touch here. The 10 is probably likely winner, although the top 3 in here have been trading some. That's the 3 and 6 along with her. The 12 is stepping up, but a perfect 3 for 3. The 1 is interesting. A Tapit and half to Derby winner Always Dreaming.

The longshot across the board play will be the 1. If wanting to take a bigger shot, the 11. Could also include underneath in wheels.

So the selections are 1,3,6,10, 12 for boxes and wheels. 10 as the key.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
If anyone is interested in the wagering, ticket construction (which is what the money side of it is All about) or anything related to that other than the just enjoyment of it please let me know

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
So much for t he wise guy horse. King Furry spiked a fever, had to scratch.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I should be looking at the Oaks first, but I've been spending my time looking at the Derby instead. A few interesting things...

There are 3 undefeated horses - of course everyone has heard of Essential Quality in post 14. Also, post 12 Helium is undefeated 3 for 3 lifetime and post 15 is Rock your World also 3 for 3.

Post 13 is Hidden Stash, which both Helium (Tampa Bay derby) and Essential Quality (Blue Grass stakes) have beaten. E.Q. also beat Highly motivated and keepmeinmind in the bluegrass.

Rock your World beat Medina Spirit in the Santa Anita derby. He led post to wire, very convincing victory.

I'm off to look at the Oaks, gotta make some choices there....

·
Registered
359 Posts
For the Oaks...two I really like are the (10) Malathaat, and the (12) Search results. Both are unbeaten. Love the breeding on both fillies. Also, Clairiere, Travel column, and Moraz to round out the top 5.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Was just reading about all the Stonestreet breeding here. I’ll go with Clairiere for a decent price, but Travel Column is a nice looking filly.

The commentators just made an interesting point that these horses have been racing, but have never seen a crowd this “big”-didn’t even think about that possibly making a difference today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
@aubie, why are Paulines Pearl (1) and Clairiere (3) not an entry (1/1A) with the same owner and trainer? I thought that’s how it worked?

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Kentucky Oaks thoughts and selections.

The 7 should break in top and try to take them all the way around. To far against to touch here. The 10 is probably likely winner, although the top 3 in here have been trading some. That's the 3 and 6 along with her. The 12 is stepping up, but a perfect 3 for 3. The 1 is interesting. A Tapit and half to Derby winner Always Dreaming.

The longshot across the board play will be the 1. If wanting to take a bigger shot, the 11. Could also include underneath in wheels.

So the selections are 1,3,6,10, 12 for boxes and wheels. 10 as the key.
Not bad
10-12 exacta paid $37.80
10-12- with that 11 long shot underneath trifecta paid $464.50
10-12-11-3 Superfecta paid $2,808.70

61 - 80 of 106 Posts