The Horse Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Never picked a winner once today. That's what I get for always rooting for the underdog. Not that it makes a difference since I'm not actually betting.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I actually work for the biggest pay tv and sports broadcaster in Africa but they are not big on showing Equestrian events. I thought maybe I would find it in the schedules.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Trainer for Soup and Sandwich (and Helium) just had a win in an undercard race.. good omen? ;)

🤞

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Kentucky Derby -

14-Essential Quality. Going to be he favorite, and rightly so. He is a perfect 5/5 and over 1.8 million in earnings. No surprise if he won. But I dont see him as Justify or American Pharaoh type. Defiantly a user, and a key to wheel around. The race should go through him.

15-Rock Your World. I think this horse is a monster. An under the radar monster. His prep race was the best to me. I can totally see this horse winning.

9-Hot Rod Charlie. Lost of experience and has the speed figures. has to be a user, but the Louisiana derby horses have not really faired all that well in Kentucky.

17-Highly Motived - Got to use, this horse has been right there with the top choices.

Mix in wheels, across the board types_ 1, 10( cant leave big money Mike out) 8 (big game Bob, Johnny V) 18,19 if you have room, cheap wheel.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
I sincerely hope that the favorite does not win. I know the horse has no control over who his owner is, but I cannot and will not ever root for that stable.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
I sincerely hope that the favorite does not win. I know the horse has no control over who his owner is, but I cannot and will not ever root for that stable.
Exactly!

Heres my superfecta box:
Rock Your World, Bourbonic, Helium, Soup and Sandwich

may they all come home safe and sound

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yep great race! Yeah Soup and Sandwich came out fast but maybe they held him back when they realized there was no chance? Not sure... Yeah I thought I heard that on the 1k but that's crazy. I really thought Rock Your World would have performed better...

Thanks for this thread @aubie!!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I didn't watch the Derby when it was live, but just watched a replay on YouTube.

What's the consensus of horseforum - it is the breeding of the horse that plays the biggest part, or the training behind the horse, or maybe both?

Clearly Baffert has figured out the winning training formula to produce a great horse, no matter if the horse is a $$$ horse or a $1,000 horse...

I skimmed the Pedigree Fun Facts for the 2021 Kentucky Derby website. Clearly there is overlap in their pedigrees across the board, but I am not very familiar with racing.

I've read many posts from Denny Emerson and Amanda (The $900 Facebook Pony blogger) about eventing bloodlines confirming that yes, a grade horse can be a fantastic, successful, upper-level eventer (Theodore O'Conner anyone?), but there is weight behind certain breeding.

Reactions: egrogan
81 - 100 of 106 Posts