The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the first? :giggle: Yesterday we went out with one trained and experienced horse (rider in the saddle) and two youngsters (led by hand). We went into the woods on the trail and also did some urban areas (to expose the horses to road signs and traffic signs, etc...)! We rode/hiked for approx 2 hours. And yes I am aware that one of my stirrups wasn't dropped enough.

Here's us, younger horse ponied for the pic (handler took the picture).

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Thanks for starting @Jolien! (Anyone needing to close out their 2020 rides can find the old thread here).

We have too much ice on the roads to go very far or get to the trails, so today we just ambled around our fields and broke a little path through the woods. There are a few spots in the field where there's open water lined with thick ice, so we treaded carefully there. It was just nice to sit in the saddle for a few minutes.

Total 2021 miles: 1.7

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I've been riding a couple of times but the neighborhood dogs are giving me hell again. I finally tracked down a human at the property that has the dogs and he seemed nice enough.......we'll see if the dogs are loose again next time I go out. If not, I am going to invest in some sort of dog repellent. So yes, I've been riding, but getting past the dogs has been interesting.......the darn things are running loose now, not just behind a fence like they used to be.

There are also bulls out on the forest where I ride that showed up around Christmas time (grazing permit on the national forest). And they are no problem whatsoever.......give me a herd of bulls over a pack of dogs any day! But they make my horse a little nervous so between the dogs and the bulls my horse comes back a sweaty mess! But am I having fun.....YES! :)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts

Second ride of 2021 no pictures from Jan 1st first picture is Jan 2nd . Second picture is from December 31st last ride for 2020.

Great rides out on dirt road finally able to venture out. Have enough snow so footing is good. Being lazy and just putting on bareback pads helps keep you warmer.

So far have done 3 days of riding not long rides, but still fun to be out riding. Ice has gotten kinda of fat so needs some exercise. Cinder is also on the fat side having to make blanket straps longer so they aren't to tight.

Plan on riding tomorrow going to be 37 degrees an sunny. All this coming week is going to be nice weather. Had some really beautiful frosty mornings also. Hope everyone had a happy new years.🎉

·
Banned
904 Posts
I have trails on my property but two days ago I went for my first ride on national park. There were a few motorbikes but they were respectful of our space and turned them off. The wildlife was amazing! I saw a regent and satin bowerbird which was amazing. Also a few Roos. The snow looks so fun! I live on coastal australia where we never get snow.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Oh, @trailhorserider, just ask me about dogs! I had great success with a gadget called a Dog Dazer which worked perfectly for two sets of pit bull type dogs that were nipping at my horse's heels. The pit bull looking dogs really react when I press the Dazer button. It cost about $30 and emits a high pitched sound that humans cannot hear. It doesn't seem to bother the horses at all.

After using the Dazer for about a year, I don't need it any more for those 2 sets of dogs. All I have to do is stretch out my hand as if I have the Dazer, and the dogs back off.

The two Anatolian Shepherds are a whole different story. They never nipped at my horse until I Dog Dazered them. I learned from people on Horse Forum (too late) that very large aggressive dogs such as Anatolians react negatively to aggressive acts like using a Dog Dazer on them. I should have dropped bits of hotdog along the road. Now, it is too late. The owner of the Anatolians is totally uncooperative and threatens to sue me for "harassing her." According to the owner, she has every right to own dogs that come out on to a public road and bite horses. I have fallen when my horse flipped out, and my horse has fallen in the road due to these dogs. I have called Animal Control 4 times and the owners have been visited 4 times.

This morning, my neighbor and I cut through private land, rode down an adjacent driveway, and came out near the Anatolian driveway to see if the dogs were being kept up. They came barreling down their driveway barking their heads off, couldn't wait to bite our horses. We went back up the neighbor's driveway and back on to the private land before the dogs could get to us.

Tomorrow will be yet another call to Animal Control to report the Anatolians are still allowed to run loose and bite passing horses.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Oh, @trailhorserider, just ask me about dogs! I had great success with a gadget called a Dog Dazer which worked perfectly for two sets of pit bull type dogs that were nipping at my horse's heels. The pit bull looking dogs really react when I press the Dazer button. It cost about $30 and emits a high pitched sound that humans cannot hear. It doesn't seem to bother the horses at all.

After using the Dazer for about a year, I don't need it any more for those 2 sets of dogs. All I have to do is stretch out my hand as if I have the Dazer, and the dogs back off.

The two Anatolian Shepherds are a whole different story. They never nipped at my horse until I Dog Dazered them. I learned from people on Horse Forum (too late) that very large aggressive dogs such as Anatolians react negatively to aggressive acts like using a Dog Dazer on them. I should have dropped bits of hotdog along the road. Now, it is too late. The owner of the Anatolians is totally uncooperative and threatens to sue me for "harassing her." According to the owner, she has every right to own dogs that come out on to a public road and bite horses. I have fallen when my horse flipped out, and my horse has fallen in the road due to these dogs. I have called Animal Control 4 times and the owners have been visited 4 times.

This morning, my neighbor and I cut through private land, rode down an adjacent driveway, and came out near the Anatolian driveway to see if the dogs were being kept up. They came barreling down their driveway barking their heads off, couldn't wait to bite our horses. We went back up the neighbor's driveway and back on to the private land before the dogs could get to us.

Tomorrow will be yet another call to Animal Control to report the Anatolians are still allowed to run loose and bite passing horses.
@knightrider it really sucks we have to deal with this! It sounds like your dog problem is worse than mine, although my problem has escalated recently. I've been dealing with barking/charging/aggressive dogs at this property for about 15 years, maybe longer. The dogs change over time, but the problem doesn't go away, they just get new dogs! They are "usually" contained behind a fence, but not lately. The past couple of weeks have been bad because the dogs have been running loose. I talked to the guy the other day and thought today would be different when I rode by. And when I was going out, the dogs were behind the fence. That felt good!

On the way home, the dogs were out yet again! And the owner was out there at the same time.....he said he was sorry and that the dogs dig under the fence and he asked if I carried a pistol!? I said no.......but maybe I need to!? I really wasn't sure what he was getting at......l assume to fire into the ground or something? But I actually have never carried or fired a gun.......I've never felt I needed to! And I'm sure my horse wouldn't approve.

All these years I've sucked it up and never complained and now when I finally say something, it's like nobody even cares...... What I did do is order some dog pepper spray and an ultra-sonic dog deterrent. I figure I have the right to defend myself at this point. I didn't get the Dazer II because it seemed like the reviews were no better than the cheaper models. I got something like this:

That wasn't the exact one, but there are about 100 different ones that all look the same.

So I hope it helps. My goal would be to train the dogs not to chase/charge me. That would be awesome. The pepper spray is a back-up in case the ultrasonic gizmo fails and I need to defend myself.

I really am an animal lover, and I have never been afraid of dogs my whole life, but this situation is driving me absolutely crazy. It could be worse......these dogs could bite and they haven't.......yet, but they come charging out at full speed and get really close and bark up a storm in a very aggressive manner. It gets my horse all prancy and nervous and if we almost make it past the house and they come running up from behind, it's even worse because the horse wants to bolt. She's an awesome 20 yr old, experienced trail horse, and I spin her around to face the dogs (2 or 3 dogs depending on the day) but her instincts are to run and she gets all sweaty and worked up.

I haven't contacted the sheriff's department. This only really escalated in the past two weeks or so. Before that the dogs were behind a fence and only showed up loose a couple times a year. Now they are loose every ride. I want to keep on good terms with my neighbors. These people aren't right next door but our neighborhood is small and everyone knows everyone, I would like to keep the peace. But I don't feel I should have to put up with these dogs risking my safety. Not loose in the road. And I told the guy that.......these dogs are going to get me killed. Sigh. If they want to keep the most obnoxious dogs in the world on their property that is their right to do so, but they should NOT be allowed run loose and chase people on the road.

I did take a video of the dogs surrounding me about a week ago. But I think I am going to keep my phone out each and every time I ride by, so if I DO have to contact law enforcement at least I have video of what's been happening and how often it happens. It just seems so stupid that something like loose dogs has to ruin my enjoyment of riding my horse. Horses are so peaceful, we can ride down the road and not bother a soul. And then the dogs have to come out and make a big circus out of everything.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
"After using the Dazer for about a year, I don't need it any more for those 2 sets of dogs. All I have to do is stretch out my hand as if I have the Dazer, and the dogs back off. "

This is my dream for my set of problem dogs!

Someday I might like to get another horse as my mare is getting older and I have this fear that I might not be able to find another horse that can handle these dogs without flipping out. 😥

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The friend who gave us permission to ride through his driveway has problems with the Anatolians when his grandkids ride his horses in his pasture. The Anatolian driveway is directly across from his horse pasture, so they nip at his horses as the kids try to ride. He shoots a gun from his porch and the Anatolians run home. I worry that shooting a gun from my horse would cause me as many problems as the dogs do.

As someone informed me here on Horse Forum, aggression with large aggressive dogs causes more aggression, not less. Throwing small rocks at the Anatolians, according to the person who wrote on the Forum, will cause the dogs to get angry and more aggressive. I did find that to be true in my case. The Anatolians never bit the horses, unlike the pit bull look-alikes who did bite the horses; the Anatolians just swirled around and around barking so loudly, it would give me a headache. They only started biting when I started using the Dazer on them. What I should have done, as people have told me, was drop bits of hot dog on the road, so they would come to like the horses arriving. I am passing this information on for other riders who might be dealing with extremely large aggressive dogs. I can no longer drop bits of food or treats because the Anatolian owners watch from the shrubbery by their house and would most assuredly accuse me of poisoning their dogs. They already are threatening to sue me because of the 4 visits from the sheriff's department. They say I am harrassing them.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
The friend who gave us permission to ride through his driveway has problems with the Anatolians when his grandkids ride his horses in his pasture. The Anatolian driveway is directly across from his horse pasture, so they nip at his horses as the kids try to ride. He shoots a gun from his porch and the Anatolians run home. I worry that shooting a gun from my horse would cause me as many problems as the dogs do.

As someone informed me here on Horse Forum, aggression with large aggressive dogs causes more aggression, not less. Throwing small rocks at the Anatolians, according to the person who wrote on the Forum, will cause the dogs to get angry and more aggressive. I did find that to be true in my case. The Anatolians never bit the horses, unlike the pit bull look-alikes who did bite the horses; the Anatolians just swirled around and around barking so loudly, it would give me a headache. They only started biting when I started using the Dazer on them. What I should have done, as people have told me, was drop bits of hot dog on the road, so they would come to like the horses arriving. I am passing this information on for other riders who might be dealing with extremely large aggressive dogs. I can no longer drop bits of food or treats because the Anatolian owners watch from the shrubbery by their house and would most assuredly accuse me of poisoning their dogs. They already are threatening to sue me because of the 4 visits from the sheriff's department. They say I am harrassing them.
It can be really hard to control a horse with one hand and film with the other, but I would think getting some video documentation would be on your side in case it ever progresses further (hope not!). The neighbor whose kids ride could do the same from his property and then it's not just your word against theirs, it's a proven problem with other neighbors too. But I know it's easier said than done. :( Basically, the dogs should never be allowed to leave their own yard and raise hell. If they want to raise hell at their own house, fine. But they shouldn't be on a public road or on someone else's property causing problems. They could LITERALLY get a rider killed.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
@gottatrot , thanks. Got it figured out feed wise and keeping them blanketed. There kinda of high maintenance ice with all his supplements vit E & fat supplement are the biggest ones.

@knightrider the trouble you have with the dogs is just crazy. Hopefully you can get it resolved some how. I've never had that kind of problem not to the degree you're dealing with. Had one dog who liked to run at horses barking the nip at there heels.

Ice fixed him took hair off his back bitting at him. Then stepped on him or struck him not sure which. I just give him his head an tell him get that dog!! He hates dogs an given a chance will kill them. We rode by the house with the dog that barks/ runs after our horses. Dog won't come within 6 feet of horses. All I have to do is turn ice towards dog ,and he high tails it up to house.

Beautiful day today so heading out to ride. One picture I didn't post last time of cinder.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
We rode at the Chickamauga Battle Field Saturday.....perfect weather, sunny, blue bird sky's, and 62 degrees......don't know how you could get a better day.....rode in shirt sleeves......only made 8 miles...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@
knightrider

Oh my that's horrible... The owner should keep her dogs in the enclosure or muzzle them if they tend to escape when she's not around. When I had a rescue stafford/pit mix I muzzled him when we were in public places. You never know what kind of life that shelter dog had and if he would snap at a kid that touched him unwanted or whatever... You should always make sure other people are not bothered by your animals...

Could it be an option to shoot them with rubber bullets?? (when the owner is not around?) I know someone who got harassed alot by a german shepherd untill he put a bullet just above the head of the dog. :p Since that day the dog steered clear. Weird that the dazer doesn't work... My dad has had great succes with it...

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
As far as the dog problems......why not call animal control? After a couple of fines, the incentive to keep the dogs home will probably increase.

Reactions: All About Hope

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I started out the New Year right - in Florida at a competition! The whole story is in my journal.

Friday, I rode Lapco:

Saturday, I rode Lapco:

2021 mileage
1/1lapco25.19 miles607 ft climb7.1 mph86F25.19 total miles
1/2lapco14.66 miles331ft climb6.5 mph83F39.85 total miles

Happy New Year all!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
As far as the dog problems......why not call animal control? After a couple of fines, the incentive to keep the dogs home will probably increase.
@knightrider has called animal control multiple times and nothing has come of it, other than the people are threatening to sue HER for harassment.

·
Registered
17,238 Posts
FINALLY had my first ride of 2021 today. More exploring & some fun in fields! There's a lot of places to explore near the barn. :D I definitely wanna do more trails this year, that's the goal!

It was windy today, but Promise was so good! Haven't ridden in like a week because of the rain. The ground is still a bit swampy, unfortunately (we've had sooo much rain), but it should dry up since it's not supposed to rain again anytime soon (we hope).

Lovely rides everyone!! :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hello all. Haven’t been able to get much riding in for awhile. In fact last time I ride on the trail was end of October. Got grounded with acute pancreatitis and then some recovery time. And now back to work full time.
Got on Duke last week with a saddle and he was acting s if something was off. Pulling faces and keeping his ears back. So pulled the saddle off and jumped on bareback with the same response. He was full of beans, prancing and even threw in a few half hearted bucks. After telling him off I continued to ride for a bit to ensure he wasn’t going to try that again and called it a day. The following week I did some ground work with him as he seemed to regress back to being jumpy. Guess 2 months of no riding was a tad long.
With ground work my intention was to get re acquainted again, as my visiting was limited for awhile as I wasn’t feeling great. At first he thought I lost my mind when I started flapping my arms about and then doing jumping jacks in front of him, but it didn’t take long for him to figure out what I was doing and he started ignoring me and relaxed. So mission accomplished. We worked on standing still for mounting and yielding.
Have the vet coming out tomorrow to do a routine check up and dental. So will ask to see if maybe he pulled a muscle or it was mostly attitude. If it’s the latter I sympathize. I didn’t want to go back to work either haha.
Hoping to get out for an actual trail ride someday soon.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts