The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Today I got to ride at San Felasco with the Santa Fe Riding Club. I brought Aci for @4horses to ride and I rode Windy. Windy is actually my daughter's horse, but I keep trailering her places to ride to get her trained and keep her fit. She keeps improving with every ride.

We had a super fun ride, although it turned out to be fairly hot. Our horses have their winter coats on and they got pretty sweaty. Our club president got tied up helping some novice riders, so we had a nice man leading the ride . . . he has a rambunctious fractious Arab who didn't want to walk, so it ended up being a fairly fast ride with a lot of gaiting. My neighbor has a spotted saddle horse, Windy is a TN Walker, and Aci is a Paso Fino, so we all enjoyed the gaiting, although I believe some people in the group enjoy a more sedate ride. There were no complaints.

Partway through the ride, an ATV came behind the horses doing work on the trail. Unfortunately Windy just happened to be the last horse in the group, and she started to get agitated about this weird vehicle behind her. The ATV would come up behind the horses, then stop to do some work, then come up behind the horses again after a bit. The 4th time the ATV came up behind Windy, she had had enough of that and started bucking.

I hate being the person whose horse misbehaves. 4horses called out, "Everybody hold up! We have a horse bucking back here." SO embarrassing. I like my horses to be all well-behaved and quiet. That part of the ride was not something I'd like to repeat. Fortunately, the ATV went off to a different trail to do work, and the rest of the ride was great fun and quite lovely.

We washed our horses and sat in the shade to enjoy our picnic lunches. It was a super time.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I don't know when I'll be able to get out on the trail, it's been so wet here, and since I ride in a riverbottom I will give it plenty of time to dry out. But I want to be able to see all the great photos everybody puts up. Thanks

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got Phin out for his rehab ride today. We got more rain overnight, so the ground is a disaster.
Sky Plant Cloud Dog Tree

We slogged over to the ring to do most of his ride, which is not my favorite but at least safe.
Sky Cloud Ecoregion Plant Tree

The temp has been dropping all day and will continue to fall into the 20s.. which means tomorrow everything will be ice. 😖

2022 mileage
1/1phin2.06 miles112 ft climb3.3 mph50F2.06 total miles
1/2phin2.06 miles115 ft climb3.3 mph42F4.12 total miles

·
Registered
452 Posts
Happy new year everybody! Let’s have a great 2022! It’s nice to be back in the saddle.

I was able to get out for a quick solo ride today. It was too much fresh snow to pass up. We went from no snow to 3-4” overnight. Duke was pretty full of himself and played a game of chase me across the pasture 3 times. He’s not usually like that. After that we saddled up and went through the back forest and fields. He was quite forward moving the whole ride. And we did a good amount of trot and canter. The dog ran with us too. It was -6 with a bit of breeze but it didn’t feel cold while riding. It was so nice and peaceful and we caught the late sunset through the clouds.
Cloud Horse Sky Water resources Vertebrate

Plant Branch Tree Wood Snow

Horse Snow Vertebrate Dog Working animal

Snow Plant Tree Working animal Liver

Happy trails!

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got some saddle time today despite the frigid temps. The whole story is in my journal.

First was Phin's rehab ride:
Cloud Sky Plant People in nature Natural landscape

Then I got George out to walk Kestrel:
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Tree Terrestrial plant
Plant Plant community Dog Tree Natural landscape

2022 mileage
1/3phin2.16 miles138 ft climb4.1 mph11F 🥶6.28 total miles
1/3george3.04 miles354 ft climb4.4 mph14F ⛄9.32 total miles

·
Registered
193 Posts
Rode at Tuckahoe State Park yesterday with a group from the Tuckahoe Equestrian Center. For the curious there are a few pictures on the TEC FB page but I took none of my own. After the rain stopped mid morning it was cloudy with the temperature in the mid 60's. By comparison the daytime high today is 30 with 10" of snow on the ground and winds gusting to 20 mph. If you don't like the Maryland weather just wait a day. Back to the ride there were a dozen or so riders and we covered 10 miles in 3 1/2 hours. A few wet spots but not too bad. TSP offers the closest thing we have to hills on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Best thing is there are no rocks so shoes are not required. Of the dozen +/- horses 4 of them were Rocky Mountain Horses which is unusual.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got some saddle time today. The whole story is in my journal.

I started with Phin:
Tree Plant Natural landscape Wood Sky

People in nature Road surface Asphalt Wood Tar

Next was George:
Plant Dog Plant community Sky Ecoregion

Sky Cloud Plant Nature People in nature

Then, I rode Copper:
Sky Cloud Plant Ecoregion Working animal

Cloud Horse Sky Plant Working animal

2022 mileage
1/4phin2.2 miles171 ft climb3.9 mph19F11.52 total miles
1/4george6.29 miles876 ft climb4.5 mph25F17.81 total miles
1/4copper1.74 miles33 ft climb3.4 mph28F19.55 total miles

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have gotten some more saddle time this week. The whole story is in my journal.

Phin's rehab rides:
Cloud Sky Plant Light Tree

Cloud Dog Sky Atmosphere Plant

Plant Snow Tree Branch Wood

Amish:
Horse Sky Cloud Plant Ecoregion

Cloud Sky Horse Plant Ecoregion

George:
Sky Cloud Snow Plant Dog

Sky Plant Snow Natural landscape Working animal

2022 mileage
1/5phin2.26 miles167 ft climb4.2 mph21F21.81 total miles
1/5amish5.26 miles771 ft climb4.3 mph34F27.07 total miles
1/6phin2.18 miles197 ft climb4.4 mph19F29.25 total miles
1/7phin2.18 miles161 ft climb4.7 mph18F31.43 total miles
1/7george4.51 miles502 ft climb5.1 mph9F35.94 total miles

·
Registered
858 Posts
First ride of the year was a great one! Took Captain… I think this is his 7th trail ride maybe? The first this time was riding away from the property and his brothers…. he did pretty good! A little surprised as I thought he would keep trying to turn around but he didn’t…. he did look back a few times but the others didn’t call to him too much.

It was cold but I was bundled up, felt like the stay puff man :) .

I love the loop we did! My neighbor only has her horses here during the winter… they summer in the mountains. So I’m enjoying her here. Went by an old cemetery, going to hike back there and check out the dates. Pics!

Ecoregion Plant Water Tree Natural landscape

Brown Tree Natural landscape Wood Trunk

Water Sky Eye Plant Wood

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got some saddle time yesterday, and a good thing as we had an ice storm today so I have no idea when the ground may be rideable next. 😖 The whole story is in my journal.

First was Phin:
Sky Snow Plant Blue Cloud

Sky Dog Snow Vertebrate Dog breed

Then George:
Snow Dog Plant Tree Carnivore

Snow Plant Branch Slope Freezing

Snow Dog Plant Light Nature

Then Honey:
Plant Snow Horse People in nature Leaf

Snow Sky Vertebrate People in nature Light

Horse Snow Blue Azure Working animal

1/8phin2.41 miles144 ft climb4.7 mph14F38.35 total miles
1/8george4.02 miles463 ft climb5.1 mph21F42.37 total miles
1/8honey3.04 miles312 ft climb2.7 mph30F45.41 total miles

·
Registered
17,497 Posts
FINALLLLLLLY had my first ride of 2022 on Saturday. It rained yesterday, so couldn't ride. Ground is now a mushy, slushy mess...yay...

It had snowed the night before, not a crazy amount, but certain areas it was deeper! I just hopped on bareback in just a neck rope & we plodded along. It was fun! :)

Snow Vertebrate Plant Blue Wood

Hair Horse Sky Ecoregion Snow

Hair Horse Snow Eye Plant

Sky Plant Cloud Natural landscape Tree

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
We finally got our first ride of 2022! I was beginning to worry it had been so long that I wouldn't even remember how to get on! It has been below 0 for weeks.... Saturday we finally had a 20 degree day so DH and I got the boys out to the small park half an hour away. I had hoped to go to the state forest an hour away for a longer ride but DH wanted to check the trailer tires before we go farther so we compromised. It ended up being good because we found out while tacking up that I didn't have the right size girth for my new saddle so DH had to ride bareback. He wants me to ride Comet more and refused to let me ride Chico so it was odd being on each other's horses!

Sky Horse Snow Slope Working animal
Hair Horse Sky Snow Working animal
Horse Hair Snow Liver Working animal

Keep your fingers crossed that we have a few warm days this weekend and can get out again!

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After a couple days of warmer than expected temperatures, the ice melted enough I was able to get some saddle time. The whole story is in my journal.

Phin:
Plant Snow Leaf Tree Branch

Cloud Sky Dog Light Plant

Plant Sky Cloud Ecoregion Nature

Sky Cloud Plant Wheel Light

George:
Cloud Sky Plant Snow Dog

Cloud Sky Dog Snow Carnivore

Sky Dog Cloud Plant Tree

Honey:
Cloud Snow Sky Building Dog

2022 mileage