The Horse Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got Phin out for his rehab ride today. We got more rain overnight, so the ground is a disaster.
View attachment 1122642
We slogged over to the ring to do most of his ride, which is not my favorite but at least safe.
View attachment 1122643
The temp has been dropping all day and will continue to fall into the 20s.. which means tomorrow everything will be ice. 😖

2022 mileage
1/1phin2.06 miles112 ft climb3.3 mph50F2.06 total miles
1/2phin2.06 miles115 ft climb3.3 mph42F4.12 total miles
What type of “string” is that between the poles for the riding arena and what type of sand? Building a riding arena and don’t wanna spend thousands lol.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What type of “string” is that between the poles for the riding arena and what type of sand? Building a riding arena and don’t wanna spend thousands lol.
The string is rope meant to be clothesline.. eventually the ring will be surrounded by panels, but meanwhile the clothes line is a visual aid, if not much of a barrier if a horse really tested it. I believe the top layer of footing is crushed bluestone, but I will ask next time I see my SIL (it's her ring and I am just lucky to live close enough to be able to hack over and use it).

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Got Miss Lacy out for the first ride of 2022....9 miles........it was a little chilly, cloudy and 50 degrees.......yet, when I think of my northern friends, ya'll probably wish for a 50 degree day.....Springs not far away.....or at least, that's what I keep telling myself....

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I got a bit of saddle time before the big Nor'Easter came. The whole story is in my journal.

Phin:
Plant Snow Dog Tree Natural landscape

Plant Sky Snow Dog breed Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Natural landscape People in nature

George:
Plant Snow Tree Wood Branch

Plant Horse Snow Tree Sky

Horse Sky Working animal Snow Cloud

2022 mileage
1/14george1.12 miles53 ft climb3.9 mph26F61.67 total miles
1/14honey0.42 miles34 ft climb3.8 mph24F62.09 total miles
1/14phin2.03 miles194 ft climb3.1 mph14F64.12 total miles
1/16george4.92 miles614 ft climb3.8 mph21F69.04 total miles
1/16phin4.72 miles525 ft climb3.9 mph15F73.76 total miles

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hi all and Happy 2022. I've managed only 2 short rides so far this year. Tucker and I went out for 1.08 miles on New Years Day just so that I could say we did, lol. It was 14 degrees F so I didn't last long.
Raven and I went out for 1.6 miles on the 14th to celebrate my 66th birthday. It was warmer at 18F.
Snow is up to the horses knees. The road is pretty icy under the snow so we've been sticking to the trails in our backyard.

@knightrider and @egrogan I know that you both enjoyed the Virtual Tevis with me. I thought you might be interested in the Warhorse Endurance Challenges also. It basically works the same way as the Virtual Tevis and in fact uses the same platform to record your progress. No Tshirts, though :( You get patches and medals. There is a FB group and you can get more info at www.warhorseendurance.com. I signed up for 3 different challenges! I find having a challenge to complete really gives me the motivation I need to get out and ride
Nose Head Horse Eye Smile
. Horse Sky Snow Working animal Horse tack
Horse Snow Tree Working animal Slope

And here is Haute Couture for cleaning stalls at -20F real temp! Fur clothing Working animal Snout Event Fur

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Thanks for that link @weeedlady. I have a few friends who I know are participating in various War Horse challenges. I'm not riding much at the moment as I lost one of my retired mares right before Christmas, and without her my other mare is inconsolable if I take Fizz out to ride. Plus, until we finally got a good snow this week, the ground has been icy since right after Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to spring and living vicariously through all of you until then! But I will check out the challenges and see what I can sign up for as I get back into condition in a couple of months 😁 Love to see your photos!

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I was able to sneak in a ride Wednesday when it warmed enough to soften the mess on the ground!
Cloud Sky Plant Snow People in nature

Cloud Sky Snow Azure Nature

2022 mileage
1/19phin4.05 miles492 ft climb3.4 mph36F77.81 total miles

21 - 32 of 32 Posts