The Horse Forum banner
381 - 400 of 467 Posts

· Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
Got some more saddle time. The whole story is in my journal.

Hombre:
Cloud Sky Plant Tree People in nature

Horse Plant Working animal Tree Horse tack

Sky Plant Plant community Cloud Leaf

Plant Ecoregion Nature Botany Natural environment

Sky Cloud Plant Horse Working animal

Gracelyn:
Plant Horse Sky People in nature Tree

Horse Plant Vertebrate Tree Working animal

Plant Tree Working animal People in nature Wood

Plant Horse Tree Working animal People in nature

Plant People in nature Tree Wood Fawn

2022 mileage
10/22gracelyn2.21 miles279 ft climb3.3 mph72F1100.28 total miles
10/23hombre13.10 miles1604 ft climb4.8 mph60F1113.38 total miles
10/26hombre4.11 miles492 ft climb5.0 mph48F1117.49 total miles
10/27hombre9.82 miles1680 ft climb5.2 mph55F1127.31 total miles
10/27gracelyn2.48 miles394 ft climb2.9 mph65F1129.79 total miles
10/28hombre6.62 miles738 ft climb4.4 mph67F1136.41 total miles

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Just returned from spending 3 days horse camping with Chance, just him and I. The first two days we were the only ones in the campground. On the last day another trailer arrived with two riders. Going away from home is the only way I can ride for consecutive days. At home, there's always something to do. I also love the change in scenery.
Horse Sky Plant Tree Working animal
Water Plant Natural landscape Wood Twig
Water Sky Horse Plant Working animal
Plant Horse Sky Plant community Ecoregion
Water Sky Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape

· Registered
1,166 Posts
What a beautiful spot @charrorider! Love the views of the water through the trees.

My mare would not be ok at a campsite without any other horses there. Pretty neat that Chance is happy to be there on his own (well, with you of course!)
My wife doesn't ride that much and everyone else around here rides gaited horses. So most of my rides are the solo variety. Chance and Ibn are both used to it. As far as being alone in the camp, Ibn has been diagnosed with DSLD and although he's responding well to treatment, I never know when it is going to flare up. Because of that, Chance is the one I take when horse camping. And Chance, well, as long as he has food in front of him, the world is fine.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
@charrorider that sounds like an absolutely wonderful time. I would love to spend 3 days with just me and my horse. Like @egrogan though, I don't think my horse would like it as much as I would.
It was. Actually I was here (Big Hill Lake, KS) for the first time 13 months ago. There is a road bridge about 200' long that Chance wanted nothing to do with it. So I took this opportunity to work on that. First morning before we set out on the trail, I led Chance across the bridge. He was reluctant, but he went. I thought I let that sink into his brain and try ridding him across after we finish our 9 mile ride. After the 9 miles, he was still having none of that foolishness (from his point of view). Next morning, I led him across the bridge, again. He came along without a hitch. We went for our ride on a different 5 mile ride. When we got back from that, again, I tired riding him across the bridge and Chance went like a dream. He stopped momentarily when he came upon one of the two expansion joints. He sniffed it and went right on. Other than that momentary stop, he set one foot in front of the other and went. Funny, when he decided to do it, it was like he has been crossing bridges all his life. There have been some heated discussions lately on how to handle horses. I don't mind taking a bit of extra time. Maybe you can see the bridge out in the distance.
Water Sky Wood Natural landscape Tree

· Premium Member
4,987 Posts
Just got back from a super 5 day camping trip with @4horses, @LoriF, and @lb27312 along with my nice neighbor at Princess Place near St. Augustine and one of lb27312's friends. We spent a couple of days riding on the beach and a couple of days riding at Princess Place. We had such a great time. The weather cooperated. We had warm mild days and pleasant cool nights for sleeping. LoriF brought Novia, her young mare. Last year on this camping trip, LoriF got bucked off of Novia. This year Novia did fabulous, including some beautiful beach canters. LoriF has done a fine job of training her. Currently 4horses doesn't have a fit horse to take camping for 5 days (soon to be rectified now that Honor has been weaned), so she has Acicate.

On the last day, @4horses and I went to the beach again before going home. I had recently read that horses benefit in many ways from galloping. I don't gallop all that much, but the beach is so conductive to a fine gallop. I don't believe I have ever asked Chorro to gallop flat out as fast as he could run. When I was a teenager, I did it often, but now that I am old, I never race anymore. Chorro and Aci gave it their all. It was pretty exciting. We discovered Aci is amazingly fast for being such a little guy. I think he would have passed Chorro if we had galloped flat out longer.

Here are some pictures of our great 5 days together.

Horse Water Sky Plant Working animal
Horse Saddle Halter Equestrian sport Horse tack

Here is the whole Horse Forum bunch.

Sky Water Horse Cloud Beach

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Yes! Just got back from a wonderful time camping with horse forum friends! Great time and such nice people! Glad I was able to meetup with them!

Here’s a pic of walking out to the beach…

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Horse Working animal

Cloud Sky Horse Ecoregion Vertebrate

A few more of the group…

Water Cloud Horse Sky Horse tack

@LoriF taking my picture while I took hers….. lol
Cloud Horse Sky Water Working animal

It was a great trip! I felt honored to meet everyone and Chorro and Aci as I’ve read so much about them… Novia is beautiful and really good!

I had a good time but something is up with Chal’s left hind…. He was carrying himself rea weird… and ended up pretty lame when he came off the trailer at home…. I don’t like South Carolina roads…. Sooo many potholes that I think it didn’t help… I’ll get it figured out. I sooo wanted to gallop with my friends on the beach!

What a great beach… everyone was awesome and a few people came up when I was walking back with Chal and I let them pet Chal and a few said I made their day!

· Registered
5,912 Posts
And the other side of the picture from @lb27312
Horse Water Cloud Sky Vertebrate

Cloud Water Sky Horse Working animal

I had a super time with friends old and new. Novia did great this trip, I was proud of her. She even put a foot into the ocean when I walked her in. It was worth the wet boots.
Cloud Horse Sky Water Vertebrate
Horse Water Cloud Sky Working animal
Horse Sky Working animal Horse tack Horse supplies

@knightrider and @4horses
Horse Water Sky Cloud Ecoregion

· Registered
5,912 Posts
When I took Novia back to the barn, I hung out a little bit and was talking to some of my barn friends. Apparently where they live, which is not too far south from where we rode on the beach, there are certain individuals that don't like seeing horses on the beach. I think it was at Hammock Beach. It has something to do with the poop.

When we get a permit, which is free, we have to take a test before we can get it. It's mostly about the rules and making us aware of the wildlife. Staying off of the dunes, don't destroy the habitat, we have to ride at low tide and stay below the high tide line. The ocean tide comes up and washes the horse poo away. The counties do not have a problem with this and know that it is not the same thing as carnivore poop. They specifically say that there is no expectation to pick up the poop as it just washes away. Makes me wonder if these certain individuals ever think about the tons of fish poop, whale poop and whatever else is in the ocean. The worst being man made pollution. After all, everything that eats also poops in some form. There are also certain times of the year that riding is not allowed. No ride time is from spring break until Nov. 1st at the beach that we rode at.

So back to the conversation with the friends. They said that just recently that a group rode on the beach only to find out that someone went up to their trailers and loosened the lug nuts on the trailer wheels. Boy, I wish someone would have spotted that and recorded it. That's just horrible. I don't know how they realized that the lugs were loosened because they didn't say anything about an accident.

Seriously, does horse poop annoy someone so much that they are willing to kill over it?

· Registered
1,570 Posts
Looks like a wonderful trip. I too am jealous, since my riding time will be limited now until at least May. Glad you all had so much fun.
As far a people worried about poop- We have that too. The mountain bike riders don't like us on shared trails because we leave poop and hoofprints. ???? trash, human waste, dog waste - that's all ok? but a bit of horse poop ruins their ride!

· Registered
1,166 Posts
When I took Novia back to the barn, I hung out a little bit and was talking to some of my barn friends. Apparently where they live, which is not too far south from where we rode on the beach, there are certain individuals that don't like seeing horses on the beach. I think it was at Hammock Beach. It has something to do with the poop.

When we get a permit, which is free, we have to take a test before we can get it. It's mostly about the rules and making us aware of the wildlife. Staying off of the dunes, don't destroy the habitat, we have to ride at low tide and stay below the high tide line. The ocean tide comes up and washes the horse poo away. The counties do not have a problem with this and know that it is not the same thing as carnivore poop. They specifically say that there is no expectation to pick up the poop as it just washes away. Makes me wonder if these certain individuals ever think about the tons of fish poop, whale poop and whatever else is in the ocean. The worst being man made pollution. After all, everything that eats also poops in some form. There are also certain times of the year that riding is not allowed. No ride time is from spring break until Nov. 1st at the beach that we rode at.

So back to the conversation with the friends. They said that just recently that a group rode on the beach only to find out that someone went up to their trailers and loosened the lug nuts on the trailer wheels. Boy, I wish someone would have spotted that and recorded it. That's just horrible. I don't know how they realized that the lugs were loosened because they didn't say anything about an accident.

Seriously, does horse poop annoy someone so much that they are willing to kill over it?
It is highly possible that the loose nuts on the trailer(s) is accidental and not intentional. People jump to all kinds of conclusions. At least that is the way it is around where I live, I'm sorry to say. On the other hand, there're a bunch of crazies out there.

· Registered
5,912 Posts
Looks like a wonderful trip. I too am jealous, since my riding time will be limited now until at least May. Glad you all had so much fun.
As far a people worried about poop- We have that too. The mountain bike riders don't like us on shared trails because we leave poop and hoofprints. ???? trash, human waste, dog waste - that's all ok? but a bit of horse poop ruins their ride!
I get jealous when I see people riding all summer long.
Even though I rode Novia throughout the summer because now is not a good time to just let her sit, I hate it. It's just too dang hot down here in the summer. And buggy. It was mostly arena riding and for short periods at a time. If I could ride early morning like Knightrider does, that would probably be better but my schedule doesn't permit it. My preference is just to skip July, August, and September.

· Registered
5,912 Posts
It is highly possible that the loose nuts on the trailer(s) is accidental and not intentional. People jump to all kinds of conclusions. At least that is the way it is around where I live, I'm sorry to say. On the other hand, there're a bunch of crazies out there.
I suppose that is a possibility, but if they had the wherewithal to look at them in the parking lot, it seems like it would be someone that checks everything before they leave from anywhere including leaving home. I wouldn't have thought to check that kind of thing before going home from an outing. Now I will.

Anyway, to heck with the creeps. Just a word of warning to check this. 99% of the people we encountered were either taking video's of us riding or wanted to come and pet the horses and talk. Most enjoyed it.

· Registered
2 Posts

Really!? 😂

· Premium Member
4,987 Posts
Yay @zacknsam! You are on the Forum! Welcome! It was great having you on the trip and getting to know you. I hope we have hundreds more fun rides together. I am crazy about your Morgan, and I know @egrogan would be too. So, start a thread about him with lots of pictures and we will all enjoy it. (He is the dark horse with the bareback rider in the pictures). Wow, that picture of @lb27312 riding with the double image on the wet sand is a stunner. @LoriF , you sure know how to take a good photo.

381 - 400 of 467 Posts