The Horse Forum banner

2023 Edition: Share your trail

3217 Views 106 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Cordillera Cowboy
This is our annual thread for all things trail riding, trekking, hacking, endurance, competitive trail, horse camping, long riding, etc. No ride is too short, no trail is too groomed-all are welcome!

There’s only one rule: you are not referred to as “just” a trail rider, and your equine partner is not “just” a trail horse. This kind of riding takes too much skill, fitness, and some days, bravery, to downplay what you do! 😉

In prior years, this thread has taken us all over the world, through forests and fields, across beaches and deserts, along dirt and paved roads, and up and down mountains. So please, join and and share the view through the ears of your favorite trail horse!! If you’re so inclined, feel free to use this as a place to track your mileage, number of days ridden, average speed, whatever is interesting to you and aligned to your goals for the year.

I managed to get in a short ride this afternoon to start the new year. It’s still oddly warm here (central Vermont) so we’ve had lots of melting, leaving us with lots of mud to trudge through.
Sky Horse Plant Tree Road surface

Dog Snow Sky Plant Working animal

We had almost 2 feet of snow two weeks ago, but it’s melted fast!
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Slope

If you look through the ears though, you can see there is still at least some snow on the trails up on top of our local ski resort ⛷
Plant Dog breed Working animal Felidae Carnivore

Total 2023 (!) miles: 2.5
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
5,009 Posts
Hmmmm. How does everybody clock how many km ( miles) they went??
Currently, I am using Equilab on my phone, which is dandy . . . except I want audio saying miles and this lady only says how many minutes I have ridden. Why would I want to know how many minutes I have ridden??? I have a watch. I can look at the Equilab and see when it turns to miles, so I can pretty much figure out how many miles on the trails I ride every day. But I do wish it would just SAY when you pass each mile.

I tried Avenza as per @weeedlady 's recommendation, but I couldn't get it to download maps. It would do some maps and not others. Probably my cheap phone, but I gave up and switched. Avenza also didn't say each mile out loud, and I really want that. When riding a spicey horse, I can't be whipping out my phone all the time.

Someone recommended an ap called Horseriding, which did say the miles, but it wouldn't work on my phone.

I loved Endomondo, but they stopped. Too bad.

For about a year or more, I used nothing, and still was able to track miles, so @younghorsetrainer , here is one way you can track your km: When driving somewhere in your vehicle, pay attention to when you have completed one or two or however many km. Then ride your horse that far, looking at your watch. If you do that about 6 times, both going out and coming home, you can figure your average speed. It's going to be inexact because Endomondo said my average was about 3.3 mph. Avenza said it was closer to 2.8. And Equilab says it is 3.1. I do believe I have slowed down some, but currently I am using 3.1 when I don't fool (or forget . . . or it doesn't work) with putting on the Equilab. Keep track of your hours, then multiply by 3.1. If you only ride 20 minutes, then use a decimal. Riding 20 minutes would be .333 of an hour, which would put you at 1.3 miles for your distance. Aci rides closer to 3.8 or even 4 miles an hour. Windy goes from 2.5 to 4 depending on her mood. Isabeau is also close to 3.6 or 3.8 for her average. So I just use 3.1 and don't worry about it. Close enough.

· Premium Member
5,009 Posts
Yay! @gottatrot ! That sounds perfect. I assume it shows you on a map where you have gone so you don't get lost? I get lost a lot.

You all inspired me to add up my rides. I rode 525.5 hours and multiply that times 3.1 is 1,629.05 miles this year. I think I am one of the few people who would like to ride LESS rather than more. It would benefit my family for me not to be so obsessed with riding. My house could be vacuumed and dusted more often and more home cooked meals. So, hopefully for me, maybe a little FEWER miles would be in order.

To be fair, I am retired and I live in Florida. That means I can ride all year round and I can ride when the rain stops or when I get home from whatever I have gone to do . . . or before I go do what I have to do.

· Premium Member
5,009 Posts
Just returned from camping 3 days at McCulley Farm in Jasper, FL. My friends and I had signed up for it back in August when we hoped we would get some lovely typical Florida weather for January. We usually get one or two cold snaps around this time, so unfortunately, we got one for this trip.

The riding was quite fun and delightful. Our horses were great. One of our friends had to cancel because his horse fell on him as he was dismounting, so I got his space, which had electricity. I brought a good heater which kept my trailer cozy, not exactly warm, but surely better than 28 degrees F.

We made a new friend, who was great to ride with. On Thursday there was line dancing. On Saturday, there was a barbeque and lots of prizes, raffles, and a silent auction, all to benefit Boy's Ranch. In all the donations, Boy's Ranch collected $8,000. I was surprised and pleased to see so many people turn out on such a cold weekend. Last year we had some rain, but not nearly so cold, and had far fewer participants.

For some unknown reason, people around me tend to win things. I also tend to win things, but more often, it is those around me. I was happy to see that one of my riding friends won two things, her friend won two things, the ladies at the table where I ate each won something, and my newly made friend won something she had really hoped to win. It is just as fun as winning something myself, to see people I like get stuff they wanted. I actually didn't want anything. After riding and having horses for over 60 years, there really isn't anything I need. In fact, I could supply a LOT of stuff that is sitting around NOT being used.

We didn't take any pictures because it was C-O-L-D for most of the rides, but here is a picture from other rides at McCulley Farm.
Horse Plant Saddle Working animal Horse tack
Horse Plant Vertebrate Working animal Horse tack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts