The Horse Forum banner

2023 Edition: Share your trail

3217 Views 106 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Cordillera Cowboy
This is our annual thread for all things trail riding, trekking, hacking, endurance, competitive trail, horse camping, long riding, etc. No ride is too short, no trail is too groomed-all are welcome!

There’s only one rule: you are not referred to as “just” a trail rider, and your equine partner is not “just” a trail horse. This kind of riding takes too much skill, fitness, and some days, bravery, to downplay what you do! 😉

In prior years, this thread has taken us all over the world, through forests and fields, across beaches and deserts, along dirt and paved roads, and up and down mountains. So please, join and and share the view through the ears of your favorite trail horse!! If you’re so inclined, feel free to use this as a place to track your mileage, number of days ridden, average speed, whatever is interesting to you and aligned to your goals for the year.

I managed to get in a short ride this afternoon to start the new year. It’s still oddly warm here (central Vermont) so we’ve had lots of melting, leaving us with lots of mud to trudge through.
Sky Horse Plant Tree Road surface

Dog Snow Sky Plant Working animal

We had almost 2 feet of snow two weeks ago, but it’s melted fast!
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Slope

If you look through the ears though, you can see there is still at least some snow on the trails up on top of our local ski resort ⛷
Plant Dog breed Working animal Felidae Carnivore

Total 2023 (!) miles: 2.5
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,179 Posts
I caught up with all the work I had. So Ibn and I hit the trails in the National Forest around our home. The last time I was on a horse was 7 weeks ago. That was before everything started going wrong in the farm and Mother Nature tried to kill us. But now is a new year. We had a gorgeous day. Temps in the high 50s, mostly sunny, little wind. We rode 5.4 miles (8.7 km).
Plant Plant community Vertebrate Dog Wood
Horse Plant Working animal Tree Natural landscape

· Registered
1,179 Posts
Hmmmm. How does everybody clock how many km ( miles) they went??
I use a gps, or an APP called Geo Tracker. Since I'm in the USA, I track my distance in miles, then convert the distance to kilometers for the benefit of all the members who live in countries that use the metric system. There are a bunch of APPs you can install in your cell phone to help you track your ride.

· Registered
1,179 Posts
I thought I had posted this already, but don't see it anywhere. So forgive me if you see this post twice.
In the last 70+ days, Chance had worked twice, once on the 30th of Sept and once on the 1st of Nov. I was ready for an exciting (and quick) first two miles, at the minimum, before he settled down to a good trail partner. As I was tacking him up, I told him, "Chance, I know about your desert ancestry and all that. But you're 11 years old now. You're a mature horse. You need to start acting like you been there, done that." Holy, Alibaba!!! Five minutes into the ride and he settled down!! Did this horse understand what I told him? I couldn't believe it. I don't mind his antics at the start of every ride. I can ride them out and I know he'll settle down. Not a big deal. But this was entirely unexpected. Well, it's nice to dream he understood what I told him. But I'm not holding my breath. We rode 7.6 miles (12.3 km) in two hours and 25 mins, which isn't bad in this Ozark terrain.
Horse Plant Sky Natural landscape Wood

1 - 4 of 4 Posts