The Horse Forum banner

2023 Edition: Share your trail

2528 Views 90 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  phantomhorse13
This is our annual thread for all things trail riding, trekking, hacking, endurance, competitive trail, horse camping, long riding, etc. No ride is too short, no trail is too groomed-all are welcome!

There’s only one rule: you are not referred to as “just” a trail rider, and your equine partner is not “just” a trail horse. This kind of riding takes too much skill, fitness, and some days, bravery, to downplay what you do! 😉

In prior years, this thread has taken us all over the world, through forests and fields, across beaches and deserts, along dirt and paved roads, and up and down mountains. So please, join and and share the view through the ears of your favorite trail horse!! If you’re so inclined, feel free to use this as a place to track your mileage, number of days ridden, average speed, whatever is interesting to you and aligned to your goals for the year.

I managed to get in a short ride this afternoon to start the new year. It’s still oddly warm here (central Vermont) so we’ve had lots of melting, leaving us with lots of mud to trudge through.
Sky Horse Plant Tree Road surface

Dog Snow Sky Plant Working animal

We had almost 2 feet of snow two weeks ago, but it’s melted fast!
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Slope

If you look through the ears though, you can see there is still at least some snow on the trails up on top of our local ski resort ⛷
Plant Dog breed Working animal Felidae Carnivore

Total 2023 (!) miles: 2.5
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

· Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
770 Posts

· Registered
7,998 Posts
My goals for 2023 are laughable compared to you all. I just want to ride 3x per week at least 2 miles. If I can get my young horse going, I can increase that.

This week, we're under the atmospheric river again, so no riding. 😞
The wonderful thing about this thread is that it's NOT competitive, so please share your goals and riding stories and pic with us. It doesn't matter what anybody else is doing. Hope momma nature gives you a break so you can get some saddle time soon.

I don't have a smartphone. Just a good old dumbphone with push buttons only to use for calling and texting.
If its easier for you, just record your hours. Or don't worry about it and just share stories and pics.

have you tried mapmyrun?
I wonder if that is the same people that do MapMyRide, which seems to be meant for biking but is what I use as a backup if my gps watch battery dies. I think it can say the miles aloud (but I found a way to turn that off because of course the sudden disembodied voice would scare Phin :rolleyes: ).

· Registered
7,998 Posts
I have gotten the New Year off to a good start as momma nature had sent some warm and dry weather (until today). The whole story is in my journal.

Monday, I started with Hombre:
Plant Sky Natural environment People in nature Wood

Cloud Sky Plant Dog Natural landscape

and then rode Asad:
Plant Leg Nature Working animal Tree

Horse Plant Sky Tree Working animal

Horse Sky Cloud Plant Working animal

Plant Plant community Ecoregion Vertebrate Natural landscape

Yesterday, I hauled Hombre down to meet Dodie:
Cloud Sky Tire Ecoregion Wheel

Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Horse

Horse Tree Horse tack Working animal Halter

2023 mileage
1/1hombre6.20 miles1040 ft climb4.7 mph45F6.20 total miles
1/1asad8.36 miles1503 ft climb3.6 mph42F14.56 total miles
1/2hombre8.58 miles1260 ft climb4.8 mph48F23.14 total miles

· Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
770 Posts
That is a pretty harness and cart!! Is that harness from Two Horse Tack? I saw a harness very much like that on there. It had blue pad, red, green, and black.

· Registered
7,998 Posts
That is a pretty harness and cart!! Is that harness from Two Horse Tack? I saw a harness very much like that on there. It had blue pad, red, green, and black.
The harness was made locally by some Amish craftsmen. Beta tack is becoming super popular as people discover it can be colorful and is a lot easier to care for that traditional leather.

· Registered
770 Posts
A couple of days I went out to try to take pictures of some wild otter-like animals in a pond somewhere. About 45 minute ride but I didn't find the otters. But I got some nice pictures....
It isn't often that I take my camera with me on rides but I did a couple of days ago and today... I will post pics from todays ride later in a post of my own. Also, the other day it was raining/ had just rained when I went so that is why the interesting clouds.
Bird Twig Branch Plant Beak

Plant Working animal Natural landscape Dairy cow Grazing

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Mountain

Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Atmospheric phenomenon

Plant Sky Natural landscape Mountain Tree

· Registered
8,682 Posts
Hello everyone! I was pretty bad for most of last year about posting on this site. I read most of the posts, but didn't get around to saying anything.

All the pictures are amazing!

I am not going to set a goal. Last year I got up to 650 miles, which amazed me. This year, I am up to 6 miles. Too much flooding to ride right not. But I rode my sweet Princess (well usually sweet) on January 1st and 2nd. 3 miles each day.

Before I dig up a few pictures from the ride, I want to talk about how I track miles. I have a Garmin Instinct watch. I set it each time I ride and then I transfer the miles into an excel spreadsheet. If anyone wants a copy of my spreadsheet, feel free to message me and we can trade info and I will send it to you. I track miles for each month and then they automatically add up.

This is Princess and my dog Prissy. (Prissy is a horrible name for a dog that rolls in dead stuff and eagerly eats horse turds. My daughter insisted on naming her that.)

Horse Plant Working animal Tree Wood

· Registered
8,682 Posts
Yes, Princess is the horse in the picture. Well, her head and neck. I was riding.
I also have a horse named Dillon. I alternate between them. My husband was supposed to ride Dillon, but he lost interest.
And Prissy would spend every second with me, but I don't want her on the bed smelling like turds.
Your pictures are fantastic.

· Registered
770 Posts
If she is the picture of the horse in the media on your profile, she is stunning beautiful!! I love black horses!!
Thank you so much! I love taking them too.

· Registered
173 Posts
@ younghorsetrainer: Great pix! I think I can smell the rain in those clouds.

@ celeste: Our dog will eat anything gross she can find and then will generally come to us looking for 'approval' (she's a rescue, so we try to not be too correcting on unimportant things). I can fully understand your not necessarily wanting Prissy in your bed after she's been turd hunting.

· Registered
770 Posts
@Horse & Dog Mom, thank you!! It had just rained and was about to rain again so.. yeah you are right.
@whisperbaby22, it is an Uruguayan saddle. Much lighter than a western saddle and my old western saddles don't fit right: see this thread for more info, and and so I ride him with that more often. When I carry the camera I ride with a saddle as I don't want to slip around and risk falling with the camera. I usually ride bareback though. And thanks for the comment on Castillo. He is my very favorite silly handsome black horse in the world!!

21 - 40 of 91 Posts