The Horse Forum banner

2023 Edition: Share your trail

2599 Views 95 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  knightrider
This is our annual thread for all things trail riding, trekking, hacking, endurance, competitive trail, horse camping, long riding, etc. No ride is too short, no trail is too groomed-all are welcome!

There’s only one rule: you are not referred to as “just” a trail rider, and your equine partner is not “just” a trail horse. This kind of riding takes too much skill, fitness, and some days, bravery, to downplay what you do! 😉

In prior years, this thread has taken us all over the world, through forests and fields, across beaches and deserts, along dirt and paved roads, and up and down mountains. So please, join and and share the view through the ears of your favorite trail horse!! If you’re so inclined, feel free to use this as a place to track your mileage, number of days ridden, average speed, whatever is interesting to you and aligned to your goals for the year.

I managed to get in a short ride this afternoon to start the new year. It’s still oddly warm here (central Vermont) so we’ve had lots of melting, leaving us with lots of mud to trudge through.
Sky Horse Plant Tree Road surface

Dog Snow Sky Plant Working animal

We had almost 2 feet of snow two weeks ago, but it’s melted fast!
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Slope

If you look through the ears though, you can see there is still at least some snow on the trails up on top of our local ski resort ⛷
Plant Dog breed Working animal Felidae Carnivore

Total 2023 (!) miles: 2.5
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Well, I'm enjoying all the posts/pictures with green in them! We are back to ice mode here, but it thawed to the 50's today, so I took my good old mare out. She loves snow, and 4" on the roadside was perfect.

Snow Plant Natural landscape Slope Tree
Snow Plant Tree Wood Branch

My poor gelding is getting left behind, because I don't feel I can control each of his feet if we get into a dicey icey spot.

Sky Snow Branch Natural landscape Slope

· Registered
7,998 Posts
Got some saddle time this weekend! The whole story is in my journal.

Hombre:
Plant Plant community Sky People in nature Working animal

Horse Dog Vertebrate Sky Working animal

Horse Sky Cloud Plant Working animal

Cloud Sky Plant Horse Tree

Plant Cloud Sky Leg Tree

Water Vertebrate Working animal Mammal Watercourse

Asad:
Horse Plant Working animal Tree Horse tack

Horse Plant Vertebrate Tree People in nature

2023 mileage
1/21hombre5.61 miles942 ft climb4.4 mph26F135.06 total miles
1/21asad4.13 miles866 ft climb3.6 mph28F139.19 total miles
1/22hombre6.01 miles794 ft climb4.5 mph29F145.20 total miles
1/22hombre5.56 miles751 ft climb4.7 mph27F150.76 total miles

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Mitch is on a SeeFood diet. He sees food. He eats it.

We got to try our new saddle and pad today. Happiness all around. He also wore a bosal (he’s had a hackamore, but this was his first bosal) and he was very matchy-matchy.

Horse Plant Eye Working animal Halter

Horse Plant Working animal Horse tack Horse supplies

Just took a short stroll. The mud is starting to dry up so hopefully by this weekend, we can venture onto the back part of the ranch.

Map Urban design Font Pattern Geology

As long as the February weather looks good, I’m
hoping to haul out for some trails.

· Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
770 Posts
@phantomhorse13, you have a very pretty brown and white border collie!! They are such pretty dogs!! I had one for a few months before she died of Hepatitis around 2018 or 17 I don't remember.

@CaliforniaDreaming, eh er a bright turquoise hackamore??? And mecate?? Well it is definitely different lol! Not to say that I don't like it, it is just a very different color than the traditional colors. But it suits Mitch quite well!
Lol about the " seafood" diet. That's what Luna does lol! Boy I sure wish that I had that Equilab thing! It looks so neat! Does it also show how far you went?

· Registered
7,998 Posts
@CaliforniaDreaming : what brand is that saddle pad? I have a friend who goes in a similar color tack so would love to pass along the name. Mitch looks amazing in that color!

@younghorsetrainer : so sad to hear you lost that lovely dog. I had wanted a BC my whole life, so Kestrel is a dream come true for me.

· Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
770 Posts
@younghorsetrainer : so sad to hear you lost that lovely dog. I had wanted a BC my whole life, so Kestrel is a dream come true for me.
Thank you for your kind wishes. I didn't know how to train a cattle dog then ( and still don't ) and she had puppies shortly after I got her and then she got some infection from it, and the sickness came back after her puppies were sold and then after taking her to the vet, she stayed a couple of days and then passed away. She was my first dog so it wasn't very easy on my emotions.

I love border collies and Australian Shepards and Cattledogs they are so pretty and hardworking dogs!

· Registered
170 Posts
No pictures today, but I got to ride the same 2 miles on the same horse, same scary ice! It was 63 today! Rain coming next week.

One day I will get to ride my younger gelding and shock everyone! But today I just got him out and worked him with his boots on. The little dork reached down when my attention was diverted and did this.🙄. Never had a horse bite off his boot before.

Automotive tire Plant Wood Trunk Tree

· Registered
7,998 Posts
Got some saddle time as momma nature allowed. The whole story is in my journal.

Hombre:
Cloud Sky Plant People in nature Natural environment

Horse Snow Plant Tree Wood

Plant People in nature Botany Grass Biome

Plant Dog Water Sky Natural landscape

Sky Plant Cloud Natural environment Tree

Flash:
Plant Snow Vertebrate Tree Natural landscape

Sky Plant Snow Natural environment Natural landscape

Horse Sky Working animal Bit English riding

Horse Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion People in nature

2023 mileage
1/24flash5.08 miles978 ft climb4.0 mph27F155.84 total miles
1/24hombre5.65 miles1004 ft climb5.3 mph28F161.49 total miles
1/25hombre3.14 miles351 ft climb5.0 mph23F164.63 total miles
1/25flash3.62 miles305 ft climb4.9 mph18F168.25 total miles
1/27hombre13.05 miles1903 ft climb6.1 mph28F181.30 total miles
1/27flash6.58 miles938 ft climb3.9 mph30F187.88 total miles

· Registered
121 Posts
I went out to the Spanish mountains this Sunday. There's a family business there doing trail rides, and I go every time I save money. The weather is still chilly, but I was lucky and there wasn't wind, so it was manageable.

The horses belong to this family, I wouldn't take my horse here for this type of trails, he is not trained to manage this kind of terrain, neither is used to so many hours (we spent out the whole day with a long lunch stop), and in mountains higher than at home, so much better to ride their horses, perfectly trained and fit for this kind of trails.

I knew all the people participating, we are a group of frequent clients that get along, and when someone in the group plans to go there puts a message in the group and frequently someone else joins (that's been my case this time), so I really enjoyed the horses and the people part.

Edit: The pictures weren't correctly attached the first time, so I'll try to attach them in another post, because editing this one doesn't seem to work

Attachments

81 - 96 of 96 Posts