The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just won the auction for this saddle on ebay. I think i got a great deal but i am not extremely knowledgeable with this brand. I dont show or jump so i will only be using this saddle for arena riding and the occasional trail ride.

Here is the link to the saddle with the sellers description:
J.A. BARNSBY ENGLISH SADDLE USED 18.5 INCH SEAT | eBay

What do you guys think? did i get a good deal??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
There's a reason this saddle was $27. :| Really not quality or worth much (hence the price you got it for) at all... not really great for riding in, either. But, hey, you're only out $27! :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
The brand is pretty good, but this one looks kinda old. Looks like it could be a close contact dressage saddle if there is such a thing ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My i ask what makes it unsuitable for riding in? also do you think it would be worth re-flocking? (ps. thanks for your response and opinions! much appreciated)

·
Registered
50,355 Posts
look at the metal "buttons" on it and read the writing . Does it say Crosby? or JAbarnsby. It looks like an old style dressage saddle. The wrinkles I see in the seat area indicate it could possibley, and I mean only possibley, have a broken tree.

If not, then you got a very good deal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
look at the metal "buttons" on it and read the writing . Does it say Crosby? or JAbarnsby. It looks like an old style dressage saddle. The wrinkles I see in the seat area indicate it could possibley, and I mean only possibley, have a broken tree.

If not, then you got a very good deal.
Someone asked that same question while the auction was still going and she assured them that it was not broken. So ill keep my fingers crossed! I really want it to work out since it is hard to find an 18.5 saddle!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I don't want to say "unsuitable," but it isn't really that great for riding in. It's not built or designed very effectively. It looks like it's supposed to be a saddleseat/gaited horse saddle, which don't really make any real sense anyways.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't want to say "unsuitable," but it isn't really that great for riding in. It's not built or designed very effectively. It looks like it's supposed to be a saddleseat/gaited horse saddle, which don't really make any real sense anyways.
you are right about the saddleseat. The seller stated that it is an older style of saddleseat saddle (before the "lane fox cutback" style) i figured since i only do recreational riding it wouldnt be a huge deal.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
almost definitively a saddleseat saddle.

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
It surely is worth your $27 dollars. I assume shipping will be a lot.
It needs some oil (Lexol works well) on it.

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
I have a similar saddle that I used to use years ago to ride a flat shod walking horse in. It worked for me. I don't like saddleseat saddles that much any more, but that is just because I want more stuff to grip on to. I'm not as young as I once was. Give it a good oiling.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
If you hold the cantle against your stomach and pull on the cantle, if it is broken there will definitely be movement. These saddles were often referred to as Hack saddles. A hack was a horse that gave a nice ride with a bit of style. He was up in the bridle. Barnsby was a great english saddlemaker in the saddle capitol of Walsall England. This was a popular style for years until the makers began making saddles more specialized. I wouldn't worry about getting it reflocked but if you use it without a cloth, the sweat will begin to shape it better to your horse's back.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.