The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw him in the auction and thought he was gorgeous; plus my mum was interested in getting an Arab. She wasn't as keen as I was on him though.

Anyway, I wanted to practice training my eye to notice confirmation faults, and he had the best photo, although it is tilted a bit. I know he's probably too young to tell for sure, but I just wanted to see if there's anything obvious I'm missing.

His back looks a bit dippy and his butt a bit high, although I think maybe that's just lack of muscle because Ninja had the same thing when I first had him. Ninja is still a bit butt high though, so maybe that's a confirmation thing? And he's not putting his weight on the near hind leg, would that be a red flag if you were interested in buying him? Or is it just him about to step off?

Any insight appreciated! Sorry if what I said is way off, as I said I'm not good at seeing confirmation yet :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Looks under two or just turned. At this age they have close to all of their height and are just working on getting the last of that growth that may or may not even them out and then filling out and maturing. Looks to be be just stretching out that back leg. More would look to that mouth. Looks like bottom jaw is longer than top. Would want more pictures before I'd consider an in person.

·
Banned
2,431 Posts
I think the mouth is okay. It's the dark tree line next to the nose vs. the light utility pole next to the chin that results in a bit of an illusion unless you push your nose onto the screen and squint hard.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The road/ground isnt' level, which makes him look more 'butt-high' . I'd ask for a truly level picture to evaluate those things better (dippy back, high croup), although those traits are 'type-ish' for some Arabians. My vet said all Arabians are 'croup high' when I asked her about Sonny's conformation. As to the lower lip/jaw, he could just be very relaxed. If you google 'how to judge horse conformation' you will find a lot of information, from universities that talk about angles, etc. that will be helpful.

He is a cutie!

Good luck
Fay
P.S. Unless there is a glaring conformational fault, I'd value temperment, spirit, and intelligence more.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you google 'how to judge horse conformation' you will find a lot of information, from universities that talk about angles, etc. that will be helpful.
Alright, I'll take the hint :wink: Lol but the reason I ask is cos' I tend to get 'rose tinted glasses' I think is what it's called? I can't see their faults is what I'm saying.

But yeah, thanks for everyone's help! Sounds like he looks alright then :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
No 'hint' intended!! LOL...I'll be doing that research myself when I look for another horse. I don't know what to look for in angles, length of head and neck compared to the rest of the body and a lot of other things that we can learn from that google search. I read about it quite a while ago, and I already had Sonny,so it was too late...lol. I had the rose tinted and no real knowledge glasses on when I bought Sonny. Thankfully, it worked out great.

Fay

Reactions: duskexx

·
Registered
264 Posts
He's only 2 and will continue to mature until about 6 years. So far he seems like he is put together nicely and has a kind eye. Can't wait to see how he grows!

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
He looks ok. My bigger concern would be a young auction horse, THAT has a lot of red flags.

Arabians being a popular breed have two kinds, the kind that made the breed so popular is a true athlete and has a wonderful temperament (and there are different strains within that). And the kind that is a result of overbreeding, or overly focused breeding, with unstable temperaments and questionable athleticism. This horse looks nice enough, but I would be much more likely to buy from a breeder.

If you want to go see him I would bring someone very experienced with you to help you evaluate.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Agreed. Young Arabs with good handling and good breeding that won't quite cut it at the big shows are dirt cheap as it is so buying one at auction is a red flag... there are some fabulous ones out there, and some that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.