The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAPPY NEW YEAR, I pray that 20201 brings everyone good health, happiness and joy.

I was curious if anyone out there uses any of these 4 bits and/or would any of them or none of them at all.

Happy Mouth Bits® Double-Jointed Boucher Bit | Dover Saddlery

Happy Mouth Bits® Double-Jointed 2-Ring Elevator Bit | Dover Saddlery (this one or the 3 ring one)

Dover Saddlery® Rubber Mullen Mouth Pelham Bit | Dover Saddlery

Thank you everyone for your opinions. Of course a wonderful New Year to spending quality time with your four legged friends :)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have never used the Happy mouths that you show but I did have one for a horse and he chewed it up and made some sharp edges which I thought would be painful for him so had to change. He went well on it but it didn't last long at all..
the third bit is a pelham type with a curb chain and meant to be used with double reins, I have used pelhams over the years when I thought I might need a curb action but just wanted to use the curb when it was needed and ride on the top rein most of the time. the one you show has a rubber mouth piece, just be careful because some of them can have a thick mouthpiece and will this suit your horse.

·
Super Moderator
10,045 Posts
I see three listed. But, first, what are you looking for in a bit? Is this for one horse, or multiple? What do you use now? What do you, and don't you, like about your current bit(s).

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
What are you looking for in a bit? The last two are gag/leverage while first is a snaffle. Bauchers do not have leverage or poll pressure. It's the opposite, actually. Bauchers remove poll pressure when engaged.

Happy mouths can work for some horses, but often the width of the mouth is too large for many horses and the material can dry the mouth. The material can also get chewed. I will use rubber mouthed bits for first mouthing, then transition to a metal mouth.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
That's baaaad! Sorry, but it made me chuckle. She must have expressed her opinion well. I can only imagine.
Slightly off topic, but that reminded me of a story! I went riding with a friend years ago, she trailed my horse out on a trail ride with her. It was the first trailering-out ride of the season. I forgot my bridle! But I was comfortable with my horse and said, no problem, I will ride her in her halter. Friend was like "oh, here I have a spare bridle." Well, this bridle had a tom thumb bit (which I actually have little problem with) but it was put on the bridle upside down and backwards! All with Chicago screws so it wasn't like it was easy to fix at a moments notice. So we actually rode in that and my horse was fine with it! o_O

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. My mare is ridden in a Happy Mouth Full Cheek Copper Roller Bit. She does like it but has been opening and closing her mouth a lot. Sometimes she will do that plus lean her head down and to the inside (I ride with soft hands). I would just like to have another bit maybe two to see how she likes them.

I am looking at the elevator bit, has anyone ever used one of these?

I am also looking to see if there is a eggbutt or d-ring copper roller bits.

Boots: the second one also comes with three rings instead of just two.

·
Registered
49,438 Posts
maybe your horse would prefer a single jointed bit. Reallly, rather than thinking it's a matter of the material (metal verses rubber) think about the acction of the bit. Double jointed,, verses single verses no joint (mullen), ,verses a curb action. if your horse dislikes a double jointed, they may not like that it puts a lot of pressure on the tongue, while a single puts more pressure on the bars. OR, something has changed in our riding style, or her lifestyle, or her diet, or her teeth.
consider all the changes that have taken placce recently.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe your horse would prefer a single jointed bit
Hey thank you for mentioning that. As it brings me back to mentioning it too :) I have tried single jointed bits and she did not like them one bit. That is what made me go to double joint bits.
Found the one I mentioned in my op and the first time I rode her she loved the bit. I have ridden her it in many years but like I mentioned before she has started opening and closing her mouth. Also she has started to put her head down and lean to the inside. So I'm just curious if anyone would try the bit I mentioned or something totally different.

·
Registered
49,438 Posts
ok. then it may be another change that is responsible for this beahvior. perhaps a visit from the equine chiro is in order.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had the vet out and teeth checked too. All is great. I have only used an equine chiro one time for a special Christmas present for my old horse years ago. Other wise I have not used an equine chiro.
I know how to make sure Daisy's saddle fits correctly and in the process of putting a new gullet in.

·
Premium Member
13,102 Posts
I have ridden her it in many years but like I mentioned before she has started opening and closing her mouth.
Elevator bits function like snaffles - pulling straight back in the horse's mouth - but with leverage. The only horse I tried one on refused to take it in her mouth after three rides. It is the only bit she ever said no to. A Baucher is a minor variation on a snaffle. The Pelham is just a straight shank curb bit.

I'd recommend thinner mouthpieces versus any of those, but still - if she has used a certain bit for years, and is NOW opening and closing her mouth, I'd either check teeth or examine what has changed in my riding.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
I agree with bsms and think I replied the same in your other thread. If she has been happy in that bit for years and now has problem likely an issue with the horse. Jaw could be out, poll out, neck problem, tooth issue that is deep and may be beginning to surface.

Others have made good points about the bits themselves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts