The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am standing 4 studs this year, ALL Foundation, ALL Cowbred, ALL linebacked! I like the old time big stout cowbred using horses.
Standing at Hope, NM:
Poco Royal Jessie- AQHA/NFQHA- Dun- Poco Bueno/Jessie James/Royal King on his papers! $750 LFG
Poco Dun in Silver- AQHA/NFQHA- Silver Blue Grulla- triple Poco Bueno $850 LFG
Mr Blackburn 002- AQHA- Dun- Pretty Buck twice on his papers, also 3X Blackburn, and Poco Bueno $475 LFG Introductory Stud Fee
RockyMountn Starburst- APHA/PtHA- Palomino/Dun Overo- double Yellow Mount $750 LFG
PM me to see lots of pictures, pedigrees, prices, more info on these 4 studs and the colts and fillies for sale by them (5 yearlings-2 duns, 2 red duns, 1 sorrel; 8 new babies- 3 grullas, 4 duns, 1 red dun).

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I went to your page and my anti-virus program immediately warned me that it was a virus danger. I left quickly. You might want to get your site checked for infection.

If your stallions have been tested, definitely put it prominently on your site. It is important information for careful breeders.

·
Registered
675 Posts
What have your studs done to deserve being bred to? I don't see any sort of show record on any of them though I admit that I only skimmed much of their info, are they good working ranch horses? Honestly curious, not trying to be facetious. They are some gorgeous boys!

I also absolutely agree on HERDA testing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have any of your POCO studs been tested for HERDA? I don't see the results on your page.
No, I have had no problems with them and have not had them tested.
I will also say that I have no problem with getting them tested if someone wants to breed to any of them. If someone would like to breed, all they need do is pick the stud(s) they want to breed to and send the booking fee. I will immediately send in the test for Herda (including 5 panel testing) and if that stud comes back as positive or carrier of anything on the 5 panel they will immediately be refunded their booking fee. Thank you. P J

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to your page and my anti-virus program immediately warned me that it was a virus danger. I left quickly. You might want to get your site checked for infection.

If your stallions have been tested, definitely put it prominently on your site. It is important information for careful breeders.
Thank you very much Allison for the heads up on the virus danger. I will get my web host to check this out.
Yes you are right about the tests, I will definitely post them on each studs page as the results come in. Thank you. P J

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What have your studs done to deserve being bred to? I don't see any sort of show record on any of them though I admit that I only skimmed much of their info, are they good working ranch horses? Honestly curious, not trying to be facetious. They are some gorgeous boys!

I also absolutely agree on HERDA testing.
They are big stout ranch horses, with very hard to find OLD cowhorse bloodlines. I mostly raise the colts for rope horses and ranch/using horses, but have had some do very well in shows also, and even had one colt go to the world show in yearling halter. So I guess I raise "pretty" rope/ranch horses.
See 2 different replies on testing above. Thank you, P J

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
This is not a dig on you, OP, more of a statement of my expectations as a consumer that may or may not help you to stand your studs more efficiently.

If I had a mare I was looking to breed, I would not take more than a cursory glance at any stud that:

a) Was not already 5-panel tested

b) Was not turned out appropriately for their advertised discipline (cleaned up, brushed, and looking sharp). I don't require pulled manes, clipped ears, and tons of show-sheen unless they are show horses in show shape, but at least pull them out of the pasture, make sure there are no knots in the mane/tail, and knock the dust off of them. Also, put them in a decent looking halter. Doesn't need to be a leather show halter with 8 pounds of silver, but it's not hard to find a nylon/rope halter that is clean, unfrayed, and properly fitted.

c) Has not had their feet done in (obviously) quite some time. That suggests that the owner doesn't really care about the well-being of the animal...and that concerns me. If they can't be bothered to do something so mundane as get their feet done...what about cleaning them before breeding? Will my mare catch something from a dirty stud?

d) Does not have good conformation pictures that show the entire horse as he's squared up on flat ground. If I can't see the entire horse, then that suggests to me that the stud owner just can't be bothered to take an extra 5 minutes to catch them out of the pasture and make them stand square...or there is a conformational fault that they are "avoiding" by taking pictures at a funky angle. Also, I don't like grass footing because you can't see the horse's feet. Preferably hard pack dirt, gravel driveway, or asphalt/concrete is what they should be standing on.

e) Does not state in the ad what the stud's accomplishments/training consist of. If the horse has never been broke...why? Was he injured? Did nobody take the time to break him because he was only a "baby-maker"? If he is broke, what discipline does he excel at? It's great if he's got foals on the ground that are accomplished, but I want to look at studs that can do something themselves too.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I personally think your studs are great! I love the way the first 3 are built. As someone said, a show record does not matter to me at all. I would prefer to breed to a good solid usable horse, with good confirmation and a sensible tempermant. and yours are easy on the eyes too. I guess to me, a picture only says so much anyway, so it doesnt matter if its the best quality. I would plan on seeing the horse in person before taking my mare there anyways! (as well as checking out the place she would be kept)

I would have them 5 panel tested if there were mine though. From a mare owner stand point others are right. I would assume if it hasnt been done already, you are not willing to do it for some reason and I would probably move on to another stud without contacting you.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I would get them tested. Sooner or later if you continue to stand these stallions you will be asked about their genetic test .
Smrobs I see your point but I have broodmares carrying or nursing foals and retired mares that I only have trimmed 2-4 times a year. If I am not riding them and their hooves are at a good angle I dont see the need to spend extra money or time having them done. With 31 horses I need to manage my time. If I was not riding Star or Sam and only using them for breeding I would have them on the same schedule as my broodmares. Now during breeding season when mare owners come to check my stallions out they will be trimmed to promote them.
I think those are nice stallions OP and for what they are being promoted for and their stud fees I might get better conformation shots but cowboys wanting a ranch horse or roping prospect look at conformation first. I would not need a show record just to inspect offspring out of different mares to see what those stallions produce.
Good luck. Shalom

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Donald, show records mean very little to me either, but I do like for any stud I look at to at least say if he's a good ranch horse since that's what I'd be looking for. Will he watch a cow, is he sure footed in rough country, can you rope off him, etc.

I also understand the hoof care thing you mentioned, but as you said, you clean them up to promote them. I would at least trim them up for their pictures and then keep them trimmed up when potential customers are coming by to look.

I believe a person should show their studs in the best possible light. Taking a little bit more time to make the horse look good and get decent pictures would result in more people being willing to look at them and possibly breed to them.

If I were looking, I would likely browse the OP's website for about 5 minutes and then continue on to studs that were better advertised.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Not having a recent trim of a horses hooves does not mean that the owner "doesn't care". Perhaps ask the horse owner about it before throwing stones?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.