The Horse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,768 Posts
What I see is a lack of muscle, but also fat at the wither where he is sunken and wither prominent.
If you would consider using a built-up saddle pad it might help with finding a nice saddle fit for him easier.
He's nice looking, a bit under muscled but that can be changed with work.

He could also use a bit of weight, yes fat cause his shoulder points are also seen yet. With a bit more weight, not obese, but 50 - 75 pounds on him could make a huge difference in getting a nice fit of a saddle on him.
Nice horse...if he meets your needs and you are willing to handle a project....
As a trail horse if he has a brain, enjoys his job and is safe on his feet...
You know the animal, handle already and if price is right....you just acquired a new horse.
Yup, for some things I am a enabler!
🙂
🐴....

·
Super Moderator
17,768 Posts
Those aussie saddle pictures to me are scary.
Sky Cloud Plant Tree Automotive tire
Look at this, just look at it and tell me you see even and balanced...
I sure don't, and the lack of symmetry and quality workmanship speaks for the entire saddle and how it was constructed.
The pommel pictures are not much better...
Please, your gut instinct is right...do not use this saddle. Run away and let it collect dust somewhere else but not in your possession.

Lightweight saddles are often the synthetic ones or combination leather & synthetic.
Abetta Is a brand I can ride in either western or endurance style and be reasonably comfortable and the fit actually is decent on several horses this saddle has been used on.
I don't make a good partnership with Wintec in English or western, never tried their dressage honestly,
I've sat in some other saddles but couldn't tell you what brands they were.

If you want leather, then look at barrel style saddles. Their design is efficient at saving weight.
Not sure what your $$$ is so a bit of searching around may need to take place.
Your horse has a long sloping wither bone, think it is called "sweptback", which may need some considerations, but.... the correct pad placed/used under the saddle will also give you the clearance you need in many more brands and tree used.
🐴... jmo...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts