The Horse Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Super Moderator
Those aussie saddle pictures to me are scary.
Sky Cloud Plant Tree Automotive tire
Look at this, just look at it and tell me you see even and balanced...
I sure don't, and the lack of symmetry and quality workmanship speaks for the entire saddle and how it was constructed.
The pommel pictures are not much better...
Please, your gut instinct is right...do not use this saddle. Run away and let it collect dust somewhere else but not in your possession.

Lightweight saddles are often the synthetic ones or combination leather & synthetic.
Abetta Is a brand I can ride in either western or endurance style and be reasonably comfortable and the fit actually is decent on several horses this saddle has been used on.
I don't make a good partnership with Wintec in English or western, never tried their dressage honestly,
I've sat in some other saddles but couldn't tell you what brands they were.

If you want leather, then look at barrel style saddles. Their design is efficient at saving weight.
Not sure what your $$$ is so a bit of searching around may need to take place.
Your horse has a long sloping wither bone, think it is called "sweptback", which may need some considerations, but.... the correct pad placed/used under the saddle will also give you the clearance you need in many more brands and tree used.
馃惔... jmo...

Premium Member
Retired breeder
I don鈥檛 know. @Zimalia22 would know. I thought you could sell a cancer eye cow @ksbowman. I remember when I was young we had cancer eye cows, but I don鈥檛 see them anymore. They culled anything with the appearance of it developing as I got a little older, like jr high. I remember them saying it was hereditary. Eventually they cleaned them out of the herd, but we also don鈥檛 have the Herefords around anymore. To be honest I miss them, but not the cancer eye.
The plants will not buy grey horses because of the cancers. What you see on the surface, well think if it like an iceberg, the majority of it is underneath, you don't see it.
While the horse may have been at an auction, it was not at a canner's pen.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Those aussie saddle pictures to me are scary.
View attachment 1129036 Look at this, just look at it and tell me you see even and balanced...
I sure don't, and the lack of symmetry and quality workmanship speaks for the entire saddle and how it was constructed.
The pommel pictures are not much better...
Please, your gut instinct is right...do not use this saddle. Run away and let it collect dust somewhere else but not in your possession.

Lightweight saddles are often the synthetic ones or combination leather & synthetic.
Abetta Is a brand I can ride in either western or endurance style and be reasonably comfortable and the fit actually is decent on several horses this saddle has been used on.
I don't make a good partnership with Wintec in English or western, never tried their dressage honestly,
I've sat in some other saddles but couldn't tell you what brands they were.

If you want leather, then look at barrel style saddles. Their design is efficient at saving weight.
Not sure what your $$$ is so a bit of searching around may need to take place.
Your horse has a long sloping wither bone, think it is called "sweptback", which may need some considerations, but.... the correct pad placed/used under the saddle will also give you the clearance you need in many more brands and tree used.
馃惔... jmo...
Thanks for confirming. The aussie saddle is a lot worse quality than I expected for the price I paid. 10 years ago I got an aussie saddle for half the price and way better quality, even though it was synthetic. The place I got it from does do returns so I am definitely returning it. I'll look into abetta saddles. Would a swayback pad help his saddle fit?

Registered
I have 6 wild children. 1 appy, 1 paint, 1 thoroughbred, 1 mustang, and 2 foundation quarter horses
how does that affect turning the horse into meat? Cancer is not transmissable through consumption of meat, as far as I know. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just wanting to comprehend this.
I used to work in cattle processing plant. If there is any sign of cancer, or even bruising, the animal will be condemned and can't be used in any processing. It has more to do with the tools and contamination. Animals can be condemned and put in the trash for any reason. The commercial plants can't pick and choose pieces to be salvagable. Any small deformity or issue means the whole animal is tossed. Even minor bruising from time on the cattle truck means the animal is no good, even for dog food. Taking the chance is too high of a risk of potential loss. It messes with their purchasing numbers and down time if one is condemned. It has the potential to bring an entire operation to a screaching halt for up to an hour while everything is cleaned and re-started and the financial expense is too high. It's a safety and liability thing. It's not great, but it is part of the industry. If they can minimize the risk in any way, they will. Also, greys and other flashy colors always sell at good sales for more than what the meat buyer paid. Certain parts of the US where sunburn is less of an issue makes them highly marketable at the price of fuel to the next sale.

Registered
I have 6 wild children. 1 appy, 1 paint, 1 thoroughbred, 1 mustang, and 2 foundation quarter horses
Here are a couple of saddles on here. Hopefully it isn't too shadowy. We live in the land of the endless sun right now.
This is the cheap wintec synthetic saddle.

Your best bet is to get a good pad, work him in the saddle and look for the dry spots. Those will tell you a lot of what you need to know about the fit. They both appear to not fit well. I don't think short term riding in them will cause long term damage though. Have you considered an Arabian saddle? Some Arabian endurance saddles fit odd horse shapes really nicely.

View attachment 1129023
View attachment 1129022 View attachment 1129019

And this is the aussie saddle. I really want an aussie saddle and miss my old one, but I'm not keen on keeping this one. The back looks odd to me. Suggestions for a nice but light saddle?
View attachment 1129025

View attachment 1129020

View attachment 1129021
View attachment 1129018

Also, I know this pic isn't perfect, but he is square in this pic and the ground is level. I think his shoulder looks a little less steep, but he's still on the straight side.
View attachment 1129026
View attachment 1129027
I need someone to hold him if I'm going to get better conformation pictures.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts