The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 year old mare, Kariba, needs her teeth floated. She turns 5 on the 26th. She has maybe had them done once in her life.....? And is very green broke, so a bit hasn't been in her mouth much.
SO I was wondering- Why does she need them done so young? We are getting them done, but I'm just wondering if it's normal? I know they should get them at 2, but it all depends on the horse,so........

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Not all horses are on the same floating schedule because the wear of the teeth is affected by conformation and diet as well as just age. Horses with better alignment of the teeth wear more evenly. Horses with higher concentrate diets tend to wear less evenly than those on a total forage diet. So, horses should have their teeth checked every year and floated as necessary.

·
Registered
851 Posts
We start ours on annual dental checks at 2yrs.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
My filly is just turned 3 and needs to be floated - her wolf teeth need to come out, and she's already developed massive sharp ridges front molars. She's been kept to a diet of hay and grain most of her life, meanwhile Shay-las 3 year old filly still has great teeth from being allowed to graze in a huge pasture most her life.

Age has nothing to do with it - it all depends on wear patterns.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. My dad doesn't ebleive they need to be done before I start riding her, blah blahblah. I am calling the vets' tomorrow,though, for an appointment to gt them done before I get the snaffle in her mouth. Thanks all! Now, if only someone could give me a link to teeth floating info online, that'd be great! :)

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I have mine done yearly starting at 2 by a dentist. They usually do a more thorough job that last longer. Wasted too much money on bad floats so I will only go to a dentist

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
My mare started having hers done at age 3. Just depends on the horse.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
My friend's equine dentist has said that from the time they're 2 or 3 until about 6 or 7 (I believe) they should have their teeth checked at least twice a year, or if they show signs of needing it more than that, and floated accordingly. My friend's coming 5 year old mare has had her teeth floated 3 times in the past year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.