The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright it's cold enough now to have a blanket on my horses medium weight.(to be) and then tomorrow's high will be 45 and I won't be home to take them off it's that's too warm.. Should I take them off tonight? I'd feel bad because it's supposed to be really cold tonight:/
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
45 Degrees is.nothing. I don't even blanket if its that warm. Right now its -10 Fareinheit. Wind chill of up to -40. Horses are in the barn, then 3 Will be blanketed tomorrow. My 9 month old, my aqha that can be difficult to keep weight on, and my apha that doesn't grow a thick coat to begin with.

the two geldings we have are extremely hardy with great coats.

your horses will be sweating tomorrow if you leave them on. Its not worth it. They'll be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: barrelbeginner

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
It depends on the horse. Mine can wear a heavy weight when it's 45 and not be bothered. Other horses at my barn would be sweating. Only you can know your horse. What is your definition of cold tonight? If they aren't used to being blanketed I would leave it off as being too warm is worse than shivering.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I would not blanket that horse! Not even in my frigid temps up here. Definitely not in your warmer temps, and you won't be there tomorrow. You'll do your horse a huge injustice with the blanket. :)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are used to be blanketed. and cold tonight it below zero. I checked on them this afternoon( and just during feeding now) and under the blanket was neutral( Ive been told it shouldnt be either hot not cold under the blanket. Sunny is not doing to good this winter keeping weight on so I figure that a blanket will help. So I have been blanketing them both. They seem to be doing fine:)

And CLAporte. I agree. that's warm lol. We were in the negitives for a couple days so they have been blanketed. Now that we are warming up I just didn't know..

Maybe I will take the blankets off early in the morning( 530 before I get on the bus)

Reactions: Sharpie

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If you can take them off early in the morning I would do that. I personally like my horse toasty under her blanket and anything less gets another layer added. Will it be sunny tomorrow? If not they would probably be fine with the blankets. At 45 my girl will still have two blankets on with a neck cover.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It's hard for those of you in the negative temperatures to remember that it's all RELATIVE. To some right now 30s is toasty while to others its really chilly.

Where I am, it rarely gets below 50s in the day and upper 30s at night- tonight's low is 19 and tomorrow's high is 37. My guy hasn't been blanketed but maybe 3 nights this winter, but he's gonna be in a medium weight for the next 36 hours or so while it's this cold. The end of the week will be in the 60s during the day and 50s at night.

If the horse is used to being blanketed when it's about 45, they'll be fine with it on tomorrow, especially if there's a breeze that'll cool them off. You know your horses and how well they regulate temperature, and you know better than we do how damp or windy it is there, so just use your best judgement. They're hardy, they can handle a few hours of being a little chilly or warm.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Ive had to leave medium weights on in 45* degree weather and while not a spectacularly great thing to leave them on, the horses have never started sweating in them or got extremely hot. I say you should be perfectly fine with leaving them on

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldnt stress about it. Obviously if the weather continues to stay at 45 you should probably take it off. But it is hard to say. Im in washington and it gets to be around 23 at night then warms up to around 45 during the day. So I just keep it on my horse and she is just fine.

·
Registered
49,728 Posts
the OP is not talking about blanketing AT 45*, but rather she needs to blanket for the very low, below freezing temps at nigth but might not be able to remove that blanket during the following day , when it will climb to 45F.

I think, horse will be ok in medium. but, do they need blankets even for below freezing during night?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.