The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is in 4H with her horse. Her horse is AQHA.

Question being, should we cut his mane and band it for her shows? She's a first year and will only be doing showmanship, walk,trot, and trail.

When I was in 4H I had an Arab, but my friends who had QH's would band their horses manes.

Is it necessary to band his mane and clip it short?

If so, how would one go about doing that?

How long should it be?

It is just my luck to have 0 experience with banding manes or cutting them, and having the friends from my 4H days out of state for the summer lol

As her group is an introductory group and not overly focused on the serious side of showing, and having been to a few of her meetings, I feel that I know way more about the actual showing world than her leaders do. Which is a problem when I don't know how to band :p

This is what his mane looks like now.

What is the acceptable practice?

I've seen longer mane bands

and short ones

My friends who showed QH favored the shorter ones.

Which is best? Or, because it's 4H does it not matter?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
When showing, you need to have a good turnout. I would most certainly cut his mane and band it. His mane is mid length and ragged looking. It needs to be cleaned up and tidy before hitting the show pen.

The length of the mane depends on the shape of the neck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm in 4-H and have a paint. They usually band their manes as well. I have never banded her mane and have done well showing. I'm also in the Sr. Advanced class. You shouldn't be docked any points, =but if it comes down to a tie with a horse who is banded and one who isn't it might be the tie breaker.

I wish your sister luck. 4-H is a great program and it has a lot to offer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think at her level they will dock any points but like the other reply said if it comes down to it then maybe. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
They won't dock any points and it's not a deciding factor.

HOWEVER, I agree with ClaPorte, your should try for your best possible turnout.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts