The Horse Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I know some about horses and I'm looking at a 16 year old paint horse. Is 500 dollars a good deal. Thanks, Answers would be appreciated. Thanks again.
I don’t normally post much here but I had to say something for this post. 1st little known fact. Many top barrel horses winning BIG money were free or very cheap. 2nd, from personal experience our best horses have been free or very cheap. We purchased a 20year old Arabian gelding a number of years ago for $300 that was the BEST kids lesson trail gymkhana horse EVER. We made a lot of money from giving kids lessons. All my grand children learned on him. He gave my wife the confidence to go out on trails and he would ride for hours and hours and never spook or complain. He passed away last year at 28. My wife’s current mare she uses for cow/sorting was free. This mare is AMAZING in a sorting pen. Either ranch sorting competitions or sorting on our ranch. She is also a great trail horse. My grand daughters barrel horse is a $400 rescue. She made $1200 on him last year. Pretty good for a 12 year old girl that has only been riding 2 years He is a 9 year old welsh pony. My old roping horse was 5 when I got him and 16 when I gave him to a 15 year old young man just starting out in roping. The horse cost me $5000 and he was HOT every day I had him. Never went out on trail, hated sorting of any kind and spooked at every thing. But man could he rope. And this is all in Southern California where horses go for WAAAAY to much money. Usually. Also they were all purchased from adds not friends.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The cost of the horse is immaterial. The disposition and health are the most important. As mentioned it cost as much to take care of a bad horse as it does a good one. Do you keep mother cows that don't take when bred or ones that are always looking for a chance to get you??

You can't train something that has no interest in being trained. A horse that bucks or even crow hops is cheating you. It's like the person that goes in a store and takes a candy bar Everytime, yeah it's not much but it adds up and gets old. When are they going to really up their game and go all out? Do you ever trust them?? Way to many good horses to waste time and money on bad ones. There is plenty of people here and elsewhere that are willing to do it.

I know of a horse that sold recently for good money because of color and he is sweet. They never put a halter on him let alone put a saddle on!!! Lucky for them he is a good horse since they don't know how to check a horse out before buying.

Is the horse a willing partner and willing to follow cues? Does it trust humans? When you do something knew how does it react? Disposition should be at the top of the list, cheap becomes really expensive in a hurry when you or someone else ends up in the hospital.

The only things you have mentioned is price and a cowboy is going to ride him along with your vague experience. You haven't given any reason why you should even be looking at this horse. Waaaaay to much potential for failure for the horse or you.

Read through any of the many threads here of bad purchase decisions and the outcomes.

You need a better reason to buy a particular horse than price or color, etc.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I didn’t read all of the responses, but personally, I wouldn’t buy a $500 horse unless it were a sound weanling. Even at that, anything besides an unhandled mustang is probably going to cost more than 500 around here.

To an extent, you get what you pay for. If you only have the experience of riding your cousin’s horses you probably don’t have the experience it might take to deal with the issues that I believe are mostly likely to come with such a cheap horse.

In my experience, too cheap either means big training issues or health issues. A mild health issue or old age might be able to do what you are asking, because it doesn’t sound like too much, but at that, if you really enjoy horses you may want to do more than just check heifers after a bit of time passes.

I know some people do great with project horses as their firsts. They are determined to succeed no matter what. Horse prices are unreasonably high right now though, and for a horse to be in that price range I would be extremely leery.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
I would buy a $500.00 horse if it was sound, was not a spooky freak. Unheard of where I live . A cheap horse is 1500.00 You can find unhandled horses with issues for a grand or $800.00 . Even the pasture pets are more than $500.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts