The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to try to keep a long story short, my daughter age 11 and I have been looking for a horse for her for quite a while. A year ago we followed all the best advice and found a 19 year old gelding, saw him multiple times, had him vetted, brought him home and had him come up lame immediantly. We spent last winter resting and rehabbing him but it became clear that he would not be sound enough to do any sort of jumping, even the crossrails my daughter was starting on at the start of summer, so we found him a great home at a therapy riding place. Since summer we have been looking for the "right" horse. My daughter has been taking 1 to 2 times weekly lessons for the last 4 years and wanting to do schooling type hunter jumper shows along with equestrian team in middle school. Tonight we looked at a pony that is younger (6) and greener than we were hoping to find but her trainer feels that this is a nice pony with a good temperament and good brain and that she might be a good fit. Has anyone had experience with a preteen working their trainer to train a younger horse? Also, here are videos of my daughter and the seller on the pony? opinions?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SZFBJiOtYM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS4XxvG2-DE

·
Super Moderator
27,061 Posts
Was that her riding the pony? It's really cute, my main concern would be more the size. If she's 11, she's still got a good 4 or 5 years of growing and she may end up too tall for the pony really quick.

It's really cute though.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Size would be my only concern. If she's not going to be very tall I would get the pony. But if you or her dad are on the taller side and so is she I'd worry about her outgrowing it to fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Here's my story:
I was 11 when my parents bought me my first horse; as history, I'd been riding for about 8 years at that point. My trainer picked out a 5 year old green broke TB mare. I fell off that mare every single ride for a year. I cried and begged my dad to sell her, but his answer was "nope, we finally bought you a horse, you're going to stick with it." Nearly a year to the day after we bought her, something changed and we suddenly clicked. I learned so much on that mare, and am so thankful that we didn't sell her, and that I had that learning opportunity.
NOW... green and green usually equals black and blue, that's something you'll hear very often, and I agree. I worked with a trainer almost every ride for the first bit, which was essential for success. You know your daughter and how far she can be pushed. If she's working with a green horse, there are going to be really crappy days and really good days. There are going to be days where she cries and wants to give up, and days where she feels on top of the world for finally getting something she's been working on for ages. She will likely get scared and shaken, if the horse isn't totally honest and 100% a good citizen (which isn't fair to any horse, much less a greenie). You know your daughter best and what her personality is like, and what she can handle.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
They seem like a good match for now. One way to look at it, is when your daughter out grows her, the pony will have more training and be an even better mount for a younger girl. And a seasoned horse that is not old as the hills is easier to find another home and fetch a decent price.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that is her on the pony. I am not too concerned about her getting too tall as she is likely to top out at around 5'3 or 4 max. I appreciate everyone's prospective, especially about sizing up her mental state and capacity. She helped her trainer with the schooling of green pony this summer and seemed to enjoy it but it did really challenge her. By the way, what did everyone think of the pony?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I think the pony is overweight and will be performing better once she's in shape. It's hard to tell now.

I don't know... It would be a GREAT project for her and would drastically improve her ability and confidence. But I don't see that pony keeping up with DD's abilities for long.
I would probably go for it, that pony will be worth it's weight in gold and will help to finance one heck of a horse when it's finished in some markets!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
27,061 Posts
I liked the pony. I thought he had potential.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I remember as a kid sometimes I just wanted to have fun. My pony was good but as I outgrew him and sold him we leased a friends uneducated horse. It was horrible because I was always have to focus on training, on doing things right when all I wanted to do was muck around and have fun. We eventually bought a trained jumper who was a great all rounder, I did sporting, games, eventing, jumping, dressage, showing, trails etc. I didn't have to worry about his training or ruining him or anything like that, and when jumping he knew what to do so I could learn.

Although, not long after that (I was 13) I got a young project horse to play around with.

I'd be worried that pony is a little on the small side, if it loses some weight it will take up less leg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.