The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perusing a rescue page on fb out of morbid curiosity at what had been selected as needing rescuing from some feedlot in Zillah on the load that morning I stumbled upon this guy. Long story short I bought him based on these photos for $775. I knew he wouldn't be a treat to work with because there's no way a sound young horse like this gets to a kill pen by accident. He was...less than lovely, dangerous to most. Once upon a time I trained for a guy in the states who specializes in horses like this, I didn't have time to put the 60+ days of bootcamp on him so I shipped him to my old boss.
He's good now, but it certainly wasn't easy. I still don't have the time to finish him the way I want :(

Lemme know what you think! And if anyone here knows ANYTHING about appys and appy breeding and maybe a breeder he could have come from? I'm a racetracker really, I don't know much of the appy world.

And this is he and I on the rare chance that I have time to ride, we were galloping in very deep snow!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
He's not a bad looking horse. Love his pattern :)
He has a nice big shoulder and plenty of depth through the chest
Neck is set quite high
Stands under himself in the front legs
Back is a nice length for his size
A little bum high
Personally, i like the shape of his hindquarters
A little bit posty in the back legs but none of he faults are to the extreme

Reactions: EmilyJoy and Elana

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I get home I'll post more profile pics, he looks like he stands way under himself in that photo but I haven't noticed it since I've had him in my possession so it could well be that he wasn't stacked properly.
This horse has tremendous gaits, incredibly athletic, I'll try and post a YouTube video of him. He also has a huge stop, he's a fun little horse!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
49,777 Posts
he has the long back of many appys. very nice looking horse, got that Appy versatility look. hope you can find time to ride him lots!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you got a nice working horse.
He does stand underneath himself in front, but the second photo with the saddle on him shows a much less severe angle, and I think it's a more accurate portrayal of his front legs.
His pasterns are angled nicely, not too long, not too short, looks like they could stand up to a lot of use.
His back legs are posty, but he has nice deep hocks and a low stifle, so I could imagine he has smoother swinging gaits, and can probably get underneath himself easily.
Steep shoulder -I associate that with a smoother ride.
His neck ties in a bit high.
His croup has a nice angle in the later saddled photo.

I actually really like him. He looks like a true all around horse, and he has a really usable body from the looks of it.

I would think some type of halter blood lines from the heavier set body and the lighter bone. Though he doesn't have the rhino-esque physique of some "halter" horses, I've seen a few that resemble him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how;s his behavior now? he looks like a well built riding/working horse.
He was a tough apple at first, but he's coming along quickly.
He's learning turnarounds slowly (he's not super coordinated yet!), he's got a great hard fast stop and he's starting on lateral work as well as fine tuning his neck reining. In the last 3 rides he picked up leg yielding nicely, he takes big soft cross over steps already.

I didn't have any time to ride him this winter, but I'm home now for a bit I hope and will be putting on as many rides as I can.

He is a horse that could go all day and would make a tremendous ranch horse for sure. He's had a rope thrown off him already.

His lope is very "rocking horse" and rolling and one that you could ride pretty much all day. He's getting a nice soft jog. His strides are quite sweeping and soft, very lovely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.