The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another prospective purchase. 8 year old AQHA gelding. Looking for a horse for dressage, arena work, trails, etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I really like him. The only thing that stands out (to my untrained eye) that may work against you with dressage is his long back. Interested to see what the othesr say. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
His is cute - very petite face. He almost looks half Arab in the second photo.

He looks like the type to be fairly versatile to a variety of low level pursuits.

This guy still doesn't scream dressage with his fairly low neck tie in, downhill build, longish back/coupling and somewhat upright shoulder. I think he may also be tied in at the knee. These things will work against his ability to get off his front end and engage his hind end. However with that said I do think he would do fine at low levels and with improved muscling would look a lot better.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
^I saw Arab, too!

He's cute.

What level Dressage are you looking to do?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm only asking because I saw from your info on the post that you are in the WI area and I looked up horses in that area. Sorry for the creepiness but I have a thing with looking up horses... Since I can't buy a horse right now I like to help other people.

I saw this ad and I really like that appy. http://www.wildwebranchers.com/dundreaminforsale.htm She looks the part for doing some dressage or english and trail riding.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The only thing I see in him is a slightly low neck set that would possibly be a problem with dressage. If you're just doing lower levels, there's no worries.

I don't see the steep shoulder, but there is a glare in the unsaddled pic, so it could be that. He seems to be very well balanced with a slightly long back- nothing to worry about though. It's only slightly long.

From the looks of his topline and also the riding pics, he seems to be working very well over his back. I don't think it would very difficult at all to school him in dressage and be successful :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
everyone beat me to it. longish back and low neck tie in are not ideal for dressage but sounds like you are more so looking for an all arounder. No reason this horse couldn't fit the bill if all other signs align. He is handsome!

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Not the best pictures to critique. Too blurry with too many shadows.

I do see a long back, which is deceiving because his withers are set back. You may have a bit more difficult time getting a good saddle fit because of those withers. The shoulder is a tad bit steep in comparison to the hindquarters, but not bad at all.

Hard to tell about anything else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.