The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was trimming Gunthers mane today. Everything was going great until I got to the middle, he moved and I cut a huge chunk out. To even it out I had to trim the rest. It's only about 3-4 inches long >_> He has never had it this short, nor does it look like a good "clean cut."

I had to walk away before I got scissor happy. What should I do to make it look like a clean nice cut that doesn't look like an accident?:?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Pulling, lots and lots of pulling, or thinning sheers if he already as a thin mane! I cut Cowboy's mane, he moved, and I just hacked it but accident. It was probably 1 1/2" ... My instructor was like "LOL! Been working on the mane? Well, it's just hair." ... SO he had sort of a mohawk at one point, but when it was banded it was smeeexxyyy. Made him look all beefy..er.. So it was a good mistake!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paintspwn, haha. I'm not looking forward to what my trainer is going to say. He has a thick mane so it looks weird.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
oh my. maybe just go with a mohawk or band it if you are in public o_O lol

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
LOOL! Yep that's pretty thick, and it may be hard to pull with it being that short... But I'd say pull and trim again. Along this line:

·
Super Moderator
26,794 Posts
You could band it and then use the razor scissors to make it straight. When you pull the bands it should look ok. OR one thing I've done before is take the mane and hold it straight up in between my fingers and run the clippers over the top to level it some.

It's not that bad, if he were a hunt pony I'd tell you to brush it from his withers towards his ears and let it stand up straight and floppy because I think it's cute like that....

I can't pull it when it's that short... too hard. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I personally like it! :) I think short mane looks really cute on QH's. May just thin it a bit :)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the advice, it really helped me out. I don't know what I was thinking! Haha. My poor guy, good thing they don't know the difference.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the Mohawk/roach look but for sure if I bring Gunther into training my trainer will be even more surprised and be like "wth, I've never seen a QH look like yours."

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I think if he was mine, I would just finish it off and start over. Hey, less to groom, right? LOL. You aren't showing or anything in the near future are you? If not, then no worries, go ahead and chop it off. If so, you might want to leave it and use some of the above methods to make it not look quite so blunt. I think if you were to arch it in the middle just a touch, he would really look spiffy. But like they say, it's just hair, it will grow back..........eventually. :D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I think he has a nice enough neck that he could pull off a mohawk.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha oh boy. With my luck I would just mess it up somehow. No showing until I transfer schools, but by time I transfer it will be grown out.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But I've never seen a chestnut horse with a chestnut mane get roached before. I think it looks much better when the mane is a different color. D; Idk

And on top of all that Gunther is bad with the clippers, even if I try to slowly introduce him. Knowing him he would probably raise his head while I'm clipping and it would buzz a chunk out.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
How did you do that did you get a fright how do you post a thing like you posted crap.
Periods, question marks, commas - please use them... I have no idea what you're trying to say.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
What's with the odd bunch that joined in the last three months that don't have any ability to convey themselves in a civil manner? Unless I am mistaken she ment to say : "How did you do that? Did you get a fright? How do you post a thing like (that)? you posted crap." Correct me if I'm wrong though (using punctuation please).

ANYWAY... :p I think you'll do fine. Then again I do have a thing for boys with nice necks and roached manes, so that's just my preference. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts