The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I just wanted to know what all bits you guys use with your horses?

and I know we have had this done a couple of times but new members might like to share their bits too and not be able to find the old threads so here goes :D

Do you use the same bit all the time?

I personally like to change it up all the time I don't like riding too many times in a row with the same bit guess I'm weird lol but I mostly use a french link loose ring snaffle bit

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I ride my best horse in a half breed spade bit. It would send some members of this thread into convulsion to see it (I'll try to post a pic later) but it is a very mild bit for a horse that is ready for it. I ride other horses in a single jointed snaffle or a bosal or sometimes I use a bit called the junior cowhorse that is a slow action gag bit with a double jointed snaffle mouth and a copper roller. I have some other special purpose bits that I occasionally use but these are the ones that get the most use.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i use a single jointed loose ring mostly, but i use a french link dring on my mare. i do put a chain bit in my geldings mouth for fox hunting though, not for regular trails or ring work.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I use the same bit every day. Boring I know! I think that if your training is good, the horse should not need to be "sharpened up" by a bigger spur/bit/whip for a day. They should always be "sharp" in a mild bit or spur.
I ride in an 18mm double jointed aurigan loose ring snaffle.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I agree anebel that a horse should not need to be sharpened up by a bigger bit or anything else my horse would go fine in any mouthpiece she seems fine with any bit and I have as light as possible hands so I like to switch it up sometimes I ride in a double jointed bit sometimes a single jointed bit and sometimes a mullen mouth bit most of the time just a plain old snaffle with different mild mouthpieces.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I use a sweet iron curb bit. It will rust over a period of time which helps the horse salvate over time. I was told by some cowboy that my family knows(a real cowboy and he is awesome) that they are good for some horses and it's mild.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I use lorenzo copper inlay loose ring on Kiara and lorenzo copper inlay eggbutt on Jemma (for some reason she hates loose ring, she prefers everything to be nice and stable :) ). Frankly I don't change the bits and don't see the big need for it as long as they work for me and my horses like them.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I don't change bits on my horses much either. I generally use a D-ring snaffle on my gelding, though I'll ride him in a shanked snaffle (more tom thumb styled) on his more uppity days. Misty, my son's pony, rides in an O-ring snaffle and Freyja goes bitless in an indian hack.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My horse uses a stubben gold wings wonder bit for riding in the open

And for regular everyday riding he is currently in a double jointed french link baucher

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My boy goes in a plain ol' boring curb bit for western and a full cheek double-jointed ported snaffle for English (and no, it's not a Segunda. It's that the link in the middle has a port just like the curb bit. Not sure if it has a real name or not).

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I ride Ingrid in a single jointed eggbutt snaffle with a flash noseband - it's what she likes

I train most of mine in a hanging cheek ( baucher ) or a Flumer snaffle bit as I find they are really good for this.

On the odd occasion if I have a strong horse or I am doing work that gets a horse a bit forward going I will make use of an uxeter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My QH gelding has a sweet iron curb with a copper roller that he seems to really love (he is mouthy, so has fun with the bit when bored...i.e. we're standing around talking) My new paint mare uses a coppper eggbutt snaffle (she'd been on one at the foster home, so I decided to keep with that style). I'm going to try a snaffle on Sunny (gelding) to see how he does with a snaffle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.