The Horse Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Retired breeder
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how Phil Rapp looked when I met him years ago. And he was riding his great mare Tapeppyoka Peppy. He was such a polite young man.
Clothing Hat Working animal Horse tack Bridle

From AQHA Hall of Fame & Museum

GREAT RIDES {TAPEPPYOKA PEPPY}
Phil Rapp is a family man. The National Cutting Horse Association’s $9 million man is married to cutting’s all-time leading non-pro rider, Mary Ann Rapp, and they have two young riders in the family, Ryan and Emma.
Tapeppyoka Peppy (Doc’s Oak-Senorita Peppy by Mr San Peppy) had been consigned to an August 1984 horse sale at the Rapp Ranch, and Phil’s dad, the late Jerry Rapp, bought her.
“Dad was really proud of her,” Phil remembers. “I’d hoped to get something older – this was my first youth or non-pro horse – but Dad figured that we could learn together. I was not impressed.
Gradually, the teen started to see the chestnut mare from his father’s point of view.
In January 1985, Phil, then 15, went to the Arizona Sun Circuit, showed Tapeppyoka Peppy 12 times and brought home a check. That summer, he had the opportunity of his young lifetime, and spent six weeks at Tom Lyons Quarter Horses in Grandview, Texas.
Phil had been to the Youth World before but had never made the finals. Perhaps the 15-year-old wondered whether 1985 would be different as he drove to the show with his parents and Tapeppyoka Peppy.
“We made the finals and it felt pretty great,” he says. “Then we drew fourth in the finals. And won.”
Phil continued to show Tapeppyoka Peppy in NCHA events. In 1989, after winning the Arizona Sun Circuit amateur aged championship, “Tapeppyoka” was retired from the show pen, with $123,555 in lifetime earnings.
“Actually, Ol’ Tap was a vital part of many rides that were important to me,” he answers. “Winning the finals and the AQHA youth championship. Marking my first 75. Taking me to my first NCHA open finals. We shared a lot of firsts. She got me going and kicked things off for me in the cutting pen. She was the first good horse I had.
“Ol’ Tap was gritty and cow-smart and tough. She had big stops and was dependable – she was always there when I needed her. The tougher the cow, the better Ol’ Tap was. I hauled her all over, and she was always sound.”
Tapeppyoka Peppy lived out the rest of her days with the Rapp family and died in 1996.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts