The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an old QH colt of mine, Axe. He's grade, but beautifully colored... take a look at this video clip I shot of him last summer.

This was only a couple weeks after I bought him... guess how much I gave?

Guess how much I got out of him 4 months after this video?

(Already aware he's underweight... my passion is buying them that way and fattening them up.)

·
Banned
752 Posts
Awe, sweet little thing! I'd say you got him for $500 and sold him for $800?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Im saying $200 when you first got him??

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
175-250 when you bought him, and then the 800 (which you posted). He's cute!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$40!!!!

Yes, forty dollars!

I didn't think anyone would guess that low, and i wasn't going to keep going, lol. He was as big a baby as they come! I saddled him with a kid's vinyl saddle and he was a doll!

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
May I ask how old he was in that video?

ETA - nevermind, it says on your youtube description "broke yearling stud colt" -- is that correct? If it is, I am just a little concerned about that..

·
Banned
752 Posts
Wait.. broke yearling? ..And you saddled him when you first got him?

·
Banned
752 Posts
Oookay, this is not a good thing!!

Off your youtube:
"This is my long yearling stud colt, Axe. I am in the process of uploading another video + pictures of him being saddled and ridden. He'll be ready to work in the spring!"

This horse is a baby!! Why would you train and ride him?!

"broke yearling stud colt is led by 11 year old with 6 year old rider."

Okay, so not only is he young and "broke", an 11 year old leads him with a 6 year old rider?! Thats a whole other issue.. for DHS to deal with.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Perhaps it's time we all step back and wait for the OP to respond? We certainly don't know the whole situation. I didn't mean to open a can of worms, I was just curious as he looked really young; I know another horse on this BB looks like he's really really young (a yearling in some photos!) but he's actually aged.

To the OP: I do hope this is all a misunderstanding on my part :) If not, perhaps I might suggest reading up on the long-term effects on breaking a horse this young - it is really hard on their joints and minds.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, OK, BEFORE YOU START BASHING ME:

He was a late yearling. I rescued him in June, and I sold him in November. He was breech and pulled, orphaned, and thereby stunted, but vet records show he was born in December. So he was 18mos old, and yes, I put a synthetic 12" child's saddle on him to see how he handled being cinched. That saddle weighs only 112oz (7lb) and was never used with my sister.

In the beginning of the video you can see 3/4 other people standing off in the background. My friend/trainer Barry shot another video at the same time, and his was better quality, so it would have been the same video, from a different angle of my sisters playing with him.

I wanted to see what he was capable of, and I make sure that every single one of my horses has ground manners and at 18mos can be cinched and ponied. My little sister, who is now 8 and only weighs 48lbs. Two years ago, you're looking at about 38lbs or less. I don't feel bad for having my sisters pony him like that, as it was the first and only ride, and he wasn't "working" or being "pushed." He is sound and healthy to date, and was sold to a very responsible friend of mine, as I won't sell a rescue to just anyone.

Sorry to get everyone's panties in a wad.

Please don't bash me for being proud of the fact that this colt was quiet.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here he is in August. Less than a month after I brought him home. He was a little over 14hh in this picture, see the length of his tail? That alone tells you he's more than a year old.

I talked to the owner two weeks ago, and he has grown almost to 14.2 in the last year.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I dont mean for this to sound rude or offend your sister in anyway, but my cat weighs 18 pounds... theres no way she weighed only 40 pounds at the time of this video. 50 maybe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ya no 6 year old I know weighs 40 lbs, especially considering she looks bigger then my 8 year old sister in the video. PLUS the fact that no matter how many people are standing around watching of something went wrong that little girl could be very hurt before anyone got to her. I have an 18 month old gelding and I would NEVER put my little sister on him, and hes the most gentle, calm horse I know.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Umm, no. I was 38 pounds also when I was 6. Now - I would suggest we all stop bashing and not comment if you don't have "anything nice to say". Although in our eyes it is wrong, but obviously "the damage is done". So why bother drag it along. It's stupid.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Ya no 6 year old I know weighs 40 lbs, especially considering she looks bigger then my 8 year old sister in the video. PLUS the fact that no matter how many people are standing around watching of something went wrong that little girl could be very hurt before anyone got to her. I have an 18 month old gelding and I would NEVER put my little sister on him, and hes the most gentle, calm horse I know.
We have a couple of 7 and 8 year old girls here, and I can carry one under each arm at the same time...they are probably around 40 lbs...it IS very well possible her sister IS that weight, or was, at that time. You people are very rude...

And, from a trainer's perspective, if groundwork has been done properly nothing should ever go wrong on the first ride...I get on colts, and because of how much fundamentals I've put on them, their first ride is often like as if they have been ridden before, and that's without someone leading them.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I dont mean for this to sound rude or offend your sister in anyway, but my cat weighs 18 pounds... theres no way she weighed only 40 pounds at the time of this video. 50 maybe.
Yeah, and to a 500 lb horse, that's still an after thought, so stop bashing the poster, okay? We all have different thoughts on how early a horse should carry weight, and to be honest 18 mos, is nothing compared to what the racehorse industry put's it's babies through.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Yeah, and to a 500 lb horse, that's still an after thought, so stop bashing the poster, okay? We all have different thoughts on how early a horse should carry weight, and to be honest 18 mos, is nothing compared to what the racehorse industry put's it's babies through.

Doesn't make it right.

And everyone is entitled to their own opinions and free speech.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I dont know what all this fuss is! he was backed young yes but this is very light weight and light work which would have no effect on him anyway. Gallopers are broken at young ages and many come away 100% sound.

The other "issue" of having a young rider on a young horse.. this means NOTHING! I had a greenbroke 3yo who was by far more laid back than my 10yo i have now and many 20yo+ i have known. You all make out you know it all yet if you knew anything it should be that any horse ANY horse can be dnagerous and as horse people thats the risk we take.

People are trying to wrap the world in cotton wool and it is so wrong on so many levels. This post had nothing to do with commenting on age of any kind, horse or rider. keep it to yourself or start a group but keep it out of innocent posts.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.