The Horse Forum banner

A Drawing of a Random Horse I Did

1459 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Unbridled Faith
Horse Working animal Neck Liver Bit

It took me 20 hours, which is a long time for me. Usually I finish drawing in less than 10, but to be fair I was trying out a new style. I quite like it, and I hope you do too. It is an Olden馃崝
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
I don鈥檛 have a horse because I am broke currently
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is this procreate? did you import a photo and work over it, or draw totally without a template?
It is indeed procreate. I had a reference photo that I kept in the reference photo section, but I freehanded all 38 thousand strokes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's amazing! you've done a phenomonal job. perhaps your watermark could be a little less obtrusive?
Thank you so much! It means a ton! I might have to鈥 I just want to protect from art theft since I鈥檝e had so much trouble with it in the past haha

Super Moderator
MOD NOTE

Please read the above link before replying to threads in this subforum. Advertising is not allowed and as such any and all mention of sales, pricing or commission are not allowed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your work is amazing! Do you have any tips for horse art? I'm working on some, and really need advice.
Thank you!
the main tips I鈥檇 have is
1. Don鈥檛 be afraid to trace (for practice). For some reason it is so very frowned upon by most, but when it comes to practice drawings (one鈥檚 you don鈥檛 post / make only for practice / non-public and non-commission drawings), it is a useful, albeit crucial tool. Why? It helps you recognize proportion and anatomical themes, as well as store them away in form of muscle memory. This helps you be able to improve on your public pieces and free handing skills.
2. Add in some less naturalistic colors. I always see people using such strictly brown and grey colors in their drawings. This is fine, but to help your drawing pop I recommend adding in very subtle hints of vivid greens, blues, and pinks within the drawing. If you zoom into the drawing above, you鈥檒l quickly find many saturated, less naturalistic colors.
3. Don鈥檛 worry about color-matching your reference. While having similar colors to that of your reference photo or still life subject is ideal (when you鈥檙e going for that kind of thing, anyways), try instead to put your focus on matching that contrast. Make your shadows bold. Define your highlights. Trust me, this will help pull off the drawing more than having identical coloration.
4. Trust your reference photo. You might find yourself working on part of your drawing and thinking it may not look quite right, but you鈥檝e drawn it the way it is in the reference photo. I do this all the time. Just remember: If it looks right in the reference, it鈥檒l most likely look right in the drawing when done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.