The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Weather is so nice here,mouth wont last. Sure to be more heat before summer gives up.

How is everyone? Another week flew by. What did you do?

Plans for tonight? This weekend?

I know I always include Remington. Partly because I don't actually have horses. But he is having the life. The old house had an upstairs so my room was up there. I never let him in . He had a room up there . At end of day we would go up, watch a little tv (it was actually the guest room) and he would go back down. But here it's smaller and one story. In my room all the time. We are like roommates - you saw picture. He is having a ball.

What's for supper? Don't know yet. Having ballgame party tomorrow with lots of food. Putting a Boston butt on tonight around 10 to be ready so supper will most likely be just whatever nothing special.

If you are going out, or fixin in, tell about it.

As always whatever you want to add in to this weekly thing. That's what really makes it.

Orange Amber Font Peach Rectangle

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Our dogs are with us in the house most of the time. I call them our house cats. Yeah, they are allowed on the furniture and they sleep in the bedroom with us but, have their own beds. They are our kids since all of our kids are adults. Have decided on supper yet. Still thinking about breakfast. Rode quite a bit this week and yesterday when Ki and I came back two calves were in the pens. We cut cut one off and turned the other back out. What a good time with that one! We moved it from pen to pen, cut, blocked and had a good time. For the first time I was able to drop the reins and she did everything! Dang I wish I had videoed it. Her roll backs were great too.

The pasture are really getting dry and we could use a rain. The temps are in the mid 80's for highs and upper 50's for lows but Sunday, Monday and Tues are suppose to be upper 90's.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Howdy all. We've had an eventful week, to say the least! We had one of those weather systems that brought hot, extremely dry east winds howling through our area, causing red flag wildfire warnings. Many areas had planned power shutdowns to help prevent fires. That didn't happen to us, but instead, we found ourselves in a Level 1 (get ready) wildfire evacuation notice, as a fire had started in our beloved state park, just a few miles east of us. One 102 year old house next to the park was incinerated, but thankfully, several fire companies and lots of "red neck firefighters" attacked the fire with everything they had and held it to about 25 acres. Our get ready notice was cancelled.

Thing is, there were horrific wildfires not far from us in 2020 and we had several days to pack for ourselves and the horses, at Level 1. It was a NIGHTMARE! In 2021 I started packing/staging for an evacuation in June, but nothing ever happened. So this year I thought, nah, we're good. Well guess what!! I was totally caught out with nothing ready to go! So I've been slowly packing and staging all week because we could still have hot, dry weather. This will be a June ritual from now on. For this year, I'll put everything away again after the rains come.

If that wasn't enough, on Wednesday, just as I was sitting down after unloading groceries, I noticed some suspicious puffs of smoke coming from the neighbor's place across the road, worryingly close to their barn! We can only see the rooftops from here. It took me a minute to decide whether there was ANY reason for that smoke and decided no there wasn't! So I called, and he flew out the door to investigate.Long story, but a fire was indeed beginning to catch in a corner of their barn. The fire department was out very quickly and got the whole thing snuffed before it caused a tragedy!

Ugh! No more drama please! I think we're having pot roast for dinner tonight. Will spend the weekend sort of wrapping up the planting in the winter garden and very possibly getting ready to refinish the deck. That will wipe me out! So, have a good one everybody! Go inspect your barns for potential fire starters!!! We will be completely overhauling our electric fence system.!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Happy Friday all!! Wasn’t a bad week work wise! Actually finally had the time to get the dreads out of Wranglers mane! Lol poor boy…. He’s the only one who gets them.

Was supposed to be camping in the mountains this weekend… bummed it didn’t work out but will go for a trail ride Sunday…. That should be fun, haven’t been on a trail ride in forever, I went on one in Cali but that wasn’t on mine… so let’s just say should be interesting lol

Super I think will be chili dog and fries…

This weekend has started as I had taken today off due to camping so this morning going to get a round bale…. Getting a big one so hopefully he places it right and it rolls right out, last time is was a comedy of errors to try to get it off… scarred me so went back to the smaller one but these are much nicer…. Then tomorrow is customer appreciation day at the feed store so $5 bucks off feed will be stocking up.

Yeah my dog now dogs get on the furniture and get on the bed, my space got even smaller….

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Good morning all! I’m actually on time for once As always, @aubie, thank you for starting the thread. Even if I don’t post something myself, I read everyone else’s posts and enjoy keeping up with everyone.

We’ve had morning temps in the low 60’s here in CenTex this week but I saw this morning that our “feels like” temps will be triple digit again by the end of next week….bleah.

Not sure what is on the menu for tonight, maybe leftovers or something simple.

We had drill team practice last Sunday, farrier came Tuesday and Skip has been lame ever since. Vet appointment today. We are getting ready for our Road to the Horse appearance and two horses on the team are lame. We have no backups (riders OR horses for this event) so my sister/coach is freaking a little! Hopefully vet will have some answers. It’s not in the hoof. I’m thinking he either slipped in the pasture or that mean witch Poppy kicked him….AGAIN. She may have to find a new zip code.

Anyway vet visit today, my brother is playing locally all weekend so think he is staying overnight tonigh, sewing on some accessories for our RTTH event, oh, and I bought a new horse yesterday

Finally got fortyeleventeen loads of dirt brought in to level yard and so my mom and husband have been amateur landscapers this week and Mom has been planting tons of flowers for the porches on the house. Rain not forecasted for quite a while so they are watering by hand and sprinkler. I’m not a yard girl so I told them y’all just go on with your bad selves!

That’s about it for me…y’all have a wonderful rest of your weekend. I have to get into the sewing dungeon!

Oh, I forgot about the dog. Yes, Baby is our fur daughter, lives in the house and until it got incredibly hot, I would take her everywhere with me. She sleeps wherever she wants, bed, couch, recliner, although she does have her own bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I took a walk outside in S. Carolina on Wed. and thought "Wow, what a nice day". Sunshine, low humidity, and a reasonable temp. Here in my neck of the woods in Florida, the temps are lowering but still rain everyday so the humidity is still up there. I'm looking forward to Oct. when that seems to go down as well.

My dogs insist on sleeping on the floor next to my bed. I have a dog door that allows them to come and go as they please most of the time and I've discovered that they go outside to patrol several times in the night. I never knew this until I put a camera up.

I thought that I was going to have the weekend off because of the freight railroad strike. At the eleventh hour an agreement was made so everything is still running. Guess I have to go to work.

·
Super Moderator
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,949 Posts
Happy Friday!

Getting a little cooler where I am, for sure. I like it though! Cool nights make for great sleeping. And I'm someone who just always runs hot -- especially when I'm moving around. I'm that person you see out walking in a tank top in March and April, getting funny looks. And I'll probably be that person, again, until November at least! Also I'm not much of one for fashion these days -- at all -- but fall clothing is definitely what I feel the best in!

This week we had a proper two closed days at the store. I spent Monday running around doing all kinds of work that is very hard to do while we're open. Just absolutely murdered the day with productivity. Then went out Tuesday morning for a lesson with my coach. I had her get on Elle first, as I've been having some nerves because Elle isn't used to the outdoor at the new place yet -- and neither am I! Of course Elle was perfect for her, and made it look super easy (which Elle pretty much is) and that was the reassurance I needed. Here's a little snippet of me, on her after. Footing was a bit squishy from rain, so pardon the few funky steps. Again, reassuring to see how calm and together everything actually is (even if I'm hunching my shoulders from my own tension). I think my first horse gave me PTSD when I was 12, because I always catastrophize!

Also how lovely is that arena and setting?? Gonna miss these gorgeous September days!!!

Not going to be much going on here the next few days though, I don't think. Forecast is calling for three days of thunderstorms.

Dinner tonight will hopefully be pasta with a lot of veggies and shrimp. We'll see how ambitious I feel about cooking and chopping at the end of the day!

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama
1,181 Posts
Good morning all! I’m actually on time for once As always, @aubie, thank you for starting the thread. Even if I don’t post something myself, I read everyone else’s posts and enjoy keeping up with everyone.

We’ve had morning temps in the low 60’s here in CenTex this week but I saw this morning that our “feels like” temps will be triple digit again by the end of next week….bleah.

Not sure what is on the menu for tonight, maybe leftovers or something simple.

We had drill team practice last Sunday, farrier came Tuesday and Skip has been lame ever since. Vet appointment today. We are getting ready for our Road to the Horse appearance and two horses on the team are lame. We have no backups (riders OR horses for this event) so my sister/coach is freaking a little! Hopefully vet will have some answers. It’s not in the hoof. I’m thinking he either slipped in the pasture or that mean witch Poppy kicked him….AGAIN. She may have to find a new zip code.

Anyway vet visit today, my brother is playing locally all weekend so think he is staying overnight tonigh, sewing on some accessories for our RTTH event, oh, and I bought a new horse yesterday

Finally got fortyeleventeen loads of dirt brought in to level yard and so my mom and husband have been amateur landscapers this week and Mom has been planting tons of flowers for the porches on the house. Rain not forecasted for quite a while so they are watering by hand and sprinkler. I’m not a yard girl so I told them y’all just go on with your bad selves!

That’s about it for me…y’all have a wonderful rest of your weekend. I have to get into the sewing dungeon!

Oh, I forgot about the dog. Yes, Baby is our fur daughter, lives in the house and until it got incredibly hot, I would take her everywhere with me. She sleeps wherever she wants, bed, couch, recliner, although she does have her own bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flowers can really dress up area's and will surely brighten things up, your mom is doing a good job. :D

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
@Txshecat0423 that is not something you can just say, hidden in a random spot. Who? Tell us about him! Pictures?! I always think of you when I hear a paint talked about being sold, but nothing has stood out as quality to me.

Let’s see. We have three dogs who live in the house with us. Two are just little dogs, one mutt and one Jack Russel (who doesn’t believe he is little and is hugely tough). Those two dogs belong to my girls, so when they grow up and move away the dogs will go with them. My oldest has the old dog, and he I really love and will feel odd about going next summer.

My dog is Junie B, and she’s a cowdog but she’s also my pet. She is great at both things, but she’s a very mean and protective dog, so she has that going against her. She has a bed by my bed, although on occasion she jumps on the bed. She has this whole morning ritual that is trying to make me stay in bed. She flops onto me and doesn’t let me up and talks like she’s a husky. Lol

Junie B is pregnant currently, and she’s only two weeks away! I’m excited and nervous. I don’t know how the future owners will feel about cowdogs who lived inside the house… I’m not kicking her out though. She’s used to sleeping inside. I think maybe more people are friends with their cowdogs than they’d like you to believe, and them spending their first little while inside will be a positive. Who knows?

Today I need to ride some horses down. Oh, phone call just came in, now I have to go after a bull who’s gone on a tirade and become an outlaw. That ought to be an experience. My problem is a slight fear of bulls. Oops. Well, I guess I’ll have to just man up. Maybe I’ll end up with a great story.

Apparently I had better go saddle a horse now. Happy Friday.

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama
1,181 Posts
@Txshecat0423 that is not something you can just say, hidden in a random spot. Who? Tell us about him! Pictures?! I always think of you when I hear a paint talked about being sold, but nothing has stood out as quality to me.

Let’s see. We have three dogs who live in the house with us. Two are just little dogs, one mutt and one Jack Russel (who doesn’t believe he is little and is hugely tough). Those two dogs belong to my girls, so when they grow up and move away the dogs will go with them. My oldest has the old dog, and he I really love and will feel odd about going next summer.

My dog is Junie B, and she’s a cowdog but she’s also my pet. She is great at both things, but she’s a very mean and protective dog, so she has that going against her. She has a bed by my bed, although on occasion she jumps on the bed. She has this whole morning ritual that is trying to make me stay in bed. She flops onto me and doesn’t let me up and talks like she’s a husky. Lol

Junie B is pregnant currently, and she’s only two weeks away! I’m excited and nervous. I don’t know how the future owners will feel about cowdogs who lived inside the house… I’m not kicking her out though. She’s used to sleeping inside. I think maybe more people are friends with their cowdogs than they’d like you to believe, and them spending their first little while inside will be a positive. Who knows?

Today I need to ride some horses down. Oh, phone call just came in, now I have to go after a bull who’s gone on a tirade and become an outlaw. That ought to be an experience. My problem is a slight fear of bulls. Oops. Well, I guess I’ll have to just man up. Maybe I’ll end up with a great story.

Apparently I had better go saddle a horse now. Happy Friday.
Stay safe tracking that outlaw bull and Yep you need to tell us about the experience of that Renegade bull, if he found some girlfriends its going to be a OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama
1,181 Posts
I agree with @Knave @Txshecat0423!! You can’t just drop that random sentence and leave! More info please! Yay on Junie B!! Lots of luck!
I second this, Opps I mean 3rd, always love seeing a new horse added to someones family.. :giggle:

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
@lb27312 thank you! I might need it. @My Salty Pony he does have girlfriends. He tore a fence into the neighbor’s and they tried to get him out, worked him up like crazy, got a dog killed over it, and then gave up. So, off we go to meet the now bad guy. He’ll have to be sold after that kind of treatment, because he’s likely dangerous now.

Trailer is here! Gotta go again!

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama
1,181 Posts
@lb27312 thank you! I might need it. @My Salty Pony he does have girlfriends. He tore a fence into the neighbor’s and they tried to get him out, worked him up like crazy, got a dog killed over it, and then gave up. So, off we go to meet the now bad guy. He’ll have to be sold after that kind of treatment, because he’s likely dangerous now.

Trailer is here! Gotta go again!
Oh no, this bull sounds really bad!! A few friends(And when needed a few more horses I would come along) would go out and catch loose cattle for the Sheriff Dept. and alot of times it was a OH Boy moment. A friend got into a fight with a bull trying to load him and that bull was not going to leave his women behind it got really nasty and the bull won that time, but the next round he didnt, so Please be Carefull!!!

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
I guess he wasn’t here yet. @My Salty Pony he probably is really bad. We gave him a few weeks to settle at least. He wasn’t bad before, so maybe he’ll be back to square one, but I wouldn’t count on it. Mistakes like that tend to have consequences.

@Txshecat0423 I’m so excited for you!!!!

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
This weekend hubs and stepson are replacing the boards on our sidewalks so he is spending the weekend with us. I will spend the weekend doing lots of cooking. Ham tonight with probably sweet potatoes. That's as far as I've gotten with menu planning. Due to all the unforeseen cooking a trip to the grocery store is on the agenda for today.

We finally had some fall like weather earlier in the week. I walked outside one day in a tank top and turned right back around in order to change into a t-shirt. Now it's supposed to get back up into the 90's over the next couple of days. I noticed some leaves starting to turn on the maple tree.

Sky Plant Natural landscape Land lot Tree

When we still had a dog he slept in his own bed in my office which was right next to the bedroom, unless it was storming. Then he'd push open the bedroom door and lay on the floor beside the bed. No sleeping involved for either of us in that case. He was scared to death of them and would whine and pant really loud during the whole thing.

·
Registered
12,520 Posts
@aubie add my huge thankyou for taking the time to start this weekly thread — which - I cannot - believe- another Friday -has - rolled -around🤯🤯

@ksbowman , Ki is really making progress! Maybe next time you can have Shirley video😎😎

@dogpatch holy moly you’ve had a week I hope doesn’t get repeated. Does your neighbor know what started the fire in his barn? A round bale?

@lbs27312 I can on,y imagine what happens when a round doesn’t roll out right if it’s on a flat area. My neighbor cuts them at the top of the hill allowing them to roll down to the bottom. It’s a pretty sight to see the cattle lined up at the hay😍

@Txshecat0423 your mom is doing a great job - I’d like to borrow her and I would even pay her😀😀

So while I’m writing along comes fotos of a very handsome PaInt named “Boo”🥰. I LOVE his head! Can he be ready to go in case Skip has to sit out next weekend? Where did you find him?

@LoriF I am SO RELIEVED the railroad union and the railroad settled. I was already telling DH we were going to have to “increase our inventory” on certain things if they wouldn’t have settled.

@SteadyOn , like you I sweat at the mere mention of the word. Since his heart attack, DH is on blood thinner so the days he complains about the heat can be counted on one hand. You & Elle look great I. The video!

@Knave I hope the Bull gets corralled without incident.

@JCnGrace you are doing way too much cooking. It’s a good thing you don’t live closer, I’d be knocking on your door with money in hand😂😂

1. Dogs in beds was always big no until Sheldon came along. He would pester the dickens out of Mason who was well past putting up with pestering so I gave in and let Sheldon sleep on the bed. That was seven years ago and he still gets up here.

2.. No idea about supper.

3.. I have put off the last three hours of mowing until I can’t put it off any longer, so that’s my Friday chore.

4. Not much new here but I do have a couple of Friday Fotos:

Duncan looking at the four deer who crossed thru the front pasture Wednesday morning.
Horse Sky Plant Tree Working animal

Same morning, Duncan has just moved away when Joker’s (RIP) crow perched on the post, and the deer were still in the front pasture. I had a hard time getting chores done for watching all the critters:)
Plant Sky Natural landscape Land lot Tree

1 - 20 of 72 Posts